Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 21, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #36,736 of 40,613
Not sure what reviews from retail merchants is worth
Usually Bloom has decent reviews. This one felt a bit rushed to me and opinions that strongly differ from my experience with Odyssey (which is fine). Also found it odd that Ragnar, which seems like a total rip off of Odin, was the only comparison. There are several long standing and proven IEM’s from multiple companies and within EE’s lineup that weren’t utilized.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #36,737 of 40,613
I got a Nemesis LE and it is the best IEM I have ever listened, great for Prog Metal.
It has the LX bass (a pair of W9 too), but much more treble. And I am a treble lover.
It’s not too “boomy”? And still has nice crisp cymbal strikes?

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #36,739 of 40,613
I got a Nemesis LE and it is the best IEM I have ever listened, great for Prog Metal.
It has the LX bass (a pair of W9 too), but much more treble. And I am a treble lover.
Riverside 👏

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #36,741 of 40,613
Bloom has the LX Special Edition for a tiny discount…was really thinking about it.
Upper mids and lower treble are quite elevated in my opinion. Frankly, I always thought the EVO was an “improved” LXSE. Their sound signatures to my ears are quite similar in that way.

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #36,742 of 40,613
Usually Bloom has decent reviews. This one felt a bit rushed to me and opinions that strongly differ from my experience with Odyssey (which is fine). Also found it odd that Ragnar, which seems like a total rip off of Odin, was the only comparison. There are several long standing and proven IEM’s from multiple companies and within EE’s lineup that weren’t utilized.
Nope, they are very different. Odin is a night club at home, Ragnar is a live jazz concert at home, Ragnar has more energy in the high ends, but less fatique, Ragnar has much thicker and more lively mids than Odin, bass is quite similar except that Odin's bass is a bit colored, Ragnar has a completely neutral bass that is very dependent on the music being played. I owned both Odin and Evo, although I can't compare these A/B I'm sure Ragnar delivers more details and is more alive than Odin. It's a bit too sharp to hear electronic music with Ragnar, especially with stock cable, it's too bright, so here live music is the favourite, Odin is a very universal IEM for every day. They are not competitors, I could think of owning both actually :)

P.S Odin is good for someone who likes to listen to music regardless of genre.

Ragnar is a good fit for people who like live instruments,vocal and realism.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #36,743 of 40,613
Nope, they are very different. Odin is a night club at home, Ragnar is a live jazz concert at home, Ragnar has more energy in the high ends, but less fatique, Ragnar has much thicker and more lively mids than Odin, bass is quite similar except that Odin's bass is a bit colored, Ragnar has a completely neutral bass that is very dependent on the music being played. I owned both Odin and Evo, although I can't compare these A/B I'm sure Ragnar delivers more details and is more alive than Odin. It's a bit too sharp to hear electronic music with Ragnar, especially with stock cable, it's too bright, so here live music is the favourite, Odin is a very universal IEM for every day. They are not competitors, I could think of owning both actually :)

P.S Odin is good for someone who likes to listen to music regardless of genre.

Ragnar is a good fit for people who like live instruments,vocal and realism.
Yes understood, let me expand. I meant that it didn’t seem like a new tuning from noble.. more like a derivative of Odin. As if they started with Odin’s tuning and tweaked it. Well that’s how it struck me initially at least. Glad you enjoy them.

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #36,744 of 40,613
Upper mids and lower treble are quite elevated in my opinion. Frankly, I always thought the EVO was an “improved” LXSE. Their sound signatures to my ears are quite similar in that way.
Thanks. Good to know

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #36,745 of 40,613
Ragnar is nothing like Odin. I own both.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #36,747 of 40,613
Yes understood, let me expand. I meant that it didn’t seem like a new tuning from noble.. more like a derivative of Odin. As if they started with Odin’s tuning and tweaked it. Well that’s how it struck me initially at least. Glad you enjoy them.
I saw someone with the OG Viking describe its sound signature as a better version of the Odin then proceeds to sell his Odin so I think you’re not alone here.

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #36,748 of 40,613
I saw someone with the OG Viking describe its sound signature as a better version of the Odin then proceeds to sell his Odin so I think you’re not alone here.
It would be more prudent for people to hear specific IEMs before judging or comparing them. Both have great bass quality and are pretty neutrally tuned in the bass meaning not elevated. Ragnar has the far better treble and is very treble dominant. Treble tuning gives it a huge stage. It is also the most resolving and clearest sounding IEM I own. It makes everything else sound veiled in comparison including Jewel and Traillii. Odin is upper mids dominant with good treble air, but thin treble in general. Odin's strength is its bass. Ragnar's strength is its treble. Gloriously detailed, thick and revealing treble. Odin has better timbre, but can sound incoherent. Ragnar has great coherency.

To me, Odyssey is a better Odin because it is tuned to highlight its glorious bass by elevating it to where it belongs and balances out the rest of the curve to make its tuning very pleasant. Ragnar is something completely different.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #36,749 of 40,613
It would be more prudent for people to hear specific IEMs before judging or comparing them. Both have great bass quality and are pretty neutrally tuned in the bass meaning not elevated. Ragnar has the far better treble and is very treble dominant. Treble tuning gives it a huge stage. It is also the most resolving and clearest sounding IEM I own. It makes everything else sound veiled in comparison including Jewel and Traillii. Odin is upper mids dominant with good treble air, but thin treble in general. Odin's strength is its bass. Ragnar's strength is its treble. Gloriously detailed, thick and revealing treble. Odin has better timbre, but can sound incoherent. Ragnar has great coherency.

To me, Odyssey is a better Odin because it is tuned to highlight its glorious bass by elevating it to where it belongs and balances out the rest of the curve to make its tuning very pleasant. Ragnar is something completely different.
To bad it is Noble IMO. For that alone I wouldn't give it a minute

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #36,750 of 40,613
It’s not too “boomy”? And still has nice crisp cymbal strikes?
The Nemesis LE is not too boomy at all. I usually use a - 2 dB Low Shelf with them, but I use them without EQ too. It has a lot of spicy treble, and I think the treble compensates the bass.
And the most important thing, it is not too V shaped. For example, the IE300 is much more V shaped than the Nemesis. It has very good mids, and an awesome scene for a totally closed IEM.
That is the only negative point I see, it has a lot of driver flex when I put the capsules in my ears, or when I touch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back