Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #34,906 of 40,577
I’m going to do a lot more testing but from initial assessment, yea the EVO is noticeably outperforming the MEXT. Couldn’t really get a sense of what the conduction was really even adding like I can with EVO. Like I said it was brief though, that may change. Tonally I feel like the mids, vocals especially and low treble are brighter and thinner in density. Burn in is commencing now and I’ll revisit.
I just ordered the MEXT to do the exact comparison you are doing.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #34,908 of 40,577
I must say though, before even getting deep into the review between them all, I found something glaringly odd in regards to this little legal matter. Legal matters are my bread and butter so I decided to apply myself and share my findings. So, the patent number displayed on the MEST box is the same as the MEXT box. They clearly came out and described the conduction unit in the MEXT as new tech..."original bone conductor", so I was a bit confused. Surely they cannot be claiming they created bone conduction in their patent and just slapping it on all their products.

So I looked up the patent and learned it is specific to the MEST and its array of bone conduction properties which is not at all the same conduction unit as used in the MEXT. Additionally, in the patent UM references bone conduction earphones that have appeared in recent years, predating their products. This by admission, is their legal team acknowledging bone conduction earphones have existed prior to application for the utility patent. Lastly, in the conclusion of the patent, they retain the ability to improve the utility model or modify it. No where in the entire patent does it say anything about creating a completely different driver based on a different manner of operation, not including piezoelectric ceramics.

I'll reserve my right to judgment as laws are based on a series of continuous interpretations, but.... It appears based on the verbiage, that the W10 driver, by manner of operation and design, is not patented by anyone as of yet. Not EE and not even UM, who has applied a patent to the MEXT retail packaging, which is specific to the MEST. #themoreyouknow 🌈

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #34,909 of 40,577
I’m almost inclined to tell you to cancel your order. That being said maybe you’ll find something I won’t.
It worth having multiple perspectives documented out there on the nature and quality of an IEM, especially when there is a dispute on technology..

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #34,910 of 40,577
As a contented Legend X owner, should the Evo be on my shopping list or are we talking diminishing returns territory?

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #34,911 of 40,577
As a contented Legend X owner, should the Evo be on my shopping list or are we talking diminishing returns territory?
It's definitely worth a demo. It is definitely different than Legend X. I own both and listen to both in different situations.

To me, EVO has the best bass response of any IEM I have ever heard. Couple that with the imaging capabilities enabled by the bone conduction driver and you get a special experience.

It has very elevated bass, but so does Legend X, so that won't likely bother you. The upper mids on the EVO are tuned more like Odin which is a bit too forward for many people. Certain music, like electric guitar can come across very harshly.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #34,912 of 40,577
It's definitely worth a demo. It is definitely different than Legend X. I own both and listen to both in different situations.

To me, EVO has the best bass response of any IEM I have ever heard. Couple that with the imaging capabilities enabled by the bone conduction driver and you get a special experience.

It has very elevated bass, but so does Legend X, so that won't likely bother you. The upper mids on the EVO are tuned more like Odin which is a bit too forward for many people. Certain music, like electric guitar can come across very harshly.

I only use the LX when out and about, and so for me in that situation its pretty much bass driven music all the way for me so I would be looking for the IEM which plays best with that type of music, which is why I have discounted the Odin as I dont want to lose the 'fun' factor of the LX. I guess I am hoping for the sound signature of the LX, with overall sound quality dialled up some which appears to be what the Evo can offer.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #34,913 of 40,577
I only use the LX when out and about, and so for me in that situation its pretty much bass driven music all the way for me so I would be looking for the IEM which plays best with that type of music, which is why I have discounted the Odin as I dont want to lose the 'fun' factor of the LX. I guess I am hoping for the sound signature of the LX, with overall sound quality dialled up some which appears to be what the Evo can offer.
I'll chime in as someone who owns an LX and owned/sold the EVO. The sound sigs are very different IMO.
As @HiFiHawaii808 said, the upper mids/lower treble of the EVO are completely different from the LX. I am unfortunately sensitive to that area of the FR and so the EVO didn't work for me. The bass on the EVO is out of this world - better quality than the LX, albeit juuuuust a smidge dialed back in quantity. The bone conduction helps differentiate the quality of the two.
If you are a believer in graphs, take a peek. For me, the elevated 2k-5k region on the EVO made the sound sig a non-starter.
graph.png

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #34,914 of 40,577
I'll chime in as someone who owns an LX and owned/sold the EVO. The sound sigs are very different IMO.
As @HiFiHawaii808 said, the upper mids/lower treble of the EVO are completely different from the LX. I am unfortunately sensitive to that area of the FR and so the EVO didn't work for me. The bass on the EVO is out of this world - better quality than the LX, albeit juuuuust a smidge dialed back in quantity. The bone conduction helps differentiate the quality of the two.
If you are a believer in graphs, take a peek. For me, the elevated 2k-5k region on the EVO made the sound sig a non-starter.
graph.png

Thank you very much, I dont usually pay much attention to graphs but looking at that one I leave myself wondering if I would hear too much difference between the two, or certainly enough difference (improvement) to justify the extra cost of an Evo.

You certainly have some lovely IEMs there, I looked at the U18s myself, can I ask if you have a particular favourite?

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #34,915 of 40,577
Thank you very much, I dont usually pay much attention to graphs but looking at that one I leave myself wondering if I would hear too much difference between the two, or certainly enough difference (improvement) to justify the extra cost of an Evo.

You certainly have some lovely IEMs there, I looked at the U18s myself, can I ask if you have a particular favourite?
Nothing in this world is certain, my friend, but I can almost guarantee you will hear a difference between them. They're very different - as @HiFiHawaii808 said, if you are OK with the elevated 2-5k region on the EVO, one could easily justify owning both.

Thanks for the complement...no favorite. Depends on my mood :) Actually listening to the Xe6 as I type this and may have to take down my classifieds posting :scream:

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #34,916 of 40,577
Yes, purely for technical improvements across the board.

As this respected man said... If you are sensitive to upper mids and allergic to lower mid recession, LX is still your boy. Or... crap, im going to use that name on this thread.... Try UM indigo.. Less bass but not anemic. but fuller mids.
graph.png
Amen.
If you, like one of best bass experiences in the world and dont mind upper mids. Its yours.
My deal breaker was treble roll off though.

Only chimed in as i owned both. And all above i a one mans opinion. So try demo of you ever get to. First.

But technically EVO for me is miles?away from LX. And i owned LX for 18 months in unconditional love.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #34,918 of 40,577
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #34,919 of 40,577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back