Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 21, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #34,037 of 40,579
I've had a few days to listen to the Evo, so I thought I'd drop in and share some thoughts on what is now one of my favorite IEMs. I owned the LX (several times), LX SE and still own the Odin, so EE sound is not new to me. I should also mention I never even used the stock cable :)

I was most excited about the bass and it has exceeded my expectations. I loved the LX bass as well, but always found it to dominate the signature (not in a bad way) and the Evo deviates here with similarly deep and punchy bass, but a more balanced tuning overall to my ears. The bass, to me, is sort of in between LX and Odin where Odin has that amazingly tight and deep sub-bass focus, but Evo brings in more quantity and a larger amount of mid-bass which I welcome. The low end in general is super punchy, controlled, textured and moves serious air when the music calls for it.

Into the mids, I hear a lot more energy and crispness where the original had a thick, natural mid-range. Into the upper mids, vocals can have a ton of energy and sound forward depending on the track, which I enjoy a great deal. Electric guitar solos resonate in an engaging and textured way - I find that the Evo works incredibly well for band-based rock music and things of that nature.

For treble, I always wanted more from the OG and I am happy to have received it here. Treble sounds sparkly without being unnatural, though it's smoothed a bit compared to something like Odin. Traillii set the treble benchmark for me, but Evo is tuned for more of an all-day listen in this department and I have no complaints. The whole package is, without a doubt, a keeper for my tastes. I've tried a bunch of genres as well and I haven't heard it sound bad on anything yet.

On the topic of the BCD, well, I also own the Mason FS and my take is that the BCD adds texture/air throughout the frequency range. It's really hard to say, though, because I cannot hear the same IEM without it to validate. But, notes are so well-defined and have an almost physical weight to them, so my simple brain tells me that's the BCD :)

As always, @MusicTeck is great and got this thing to me quickly and also a huge shout out to @doctorjuggles for this gorgeous cable that I'm loving on Evo. It's an 8-wire gold-plated silver and it provides a very resolute, detailed sound with great clarity. In comparison to Centurion, this is a touch more natural and smooth where Centurion gave some serious energy to the upper frequencies. Anyway, pretty generic thoughts I suppose, but I'm extremely happy with this IEM and it was worth the wait.

-Collin-

IMG_0598.jpg
Any idea where can we find this jewellery cable :)?

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #34,038 of 40,579
Oct 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #34,039 of 40,579
Can anyone offer any insight or anecdotes regarding the EVO's performance with extreme metal subgenres (such as melodic technical death metal)? I wrote about my desire to try the EVO for metal and also about my possible concerns (which others seemed to agree with) in this in the nearly 100 page-long thread on the best IEMs for all metal subgenres. You'll find my quote at the bottom of this post but I've also permalinked it here. The main concern with the EVO was that it wouldn't be able to keep up with well produced, modern and fast technical metal in terms of overall dynamics, resolution, clarity and instrument separation vs something like the UM MEST MKII (mainly due to possible low-end muddiness in conjunction with all the other instruments and lack of speed to match the transients of fast double bass kicks with gravity blasting). Here's four sample tracks to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Inferi - Vile Genesis [20:02-25:46]

Demon King - Transmutation of the Artilect [Especially the 11:10-12:37 solo portion of the track]

Ophidian I - Spiral to Oblivion [4:35-8:06]

Stortregn - Nénie [37:38-44:27]

In the worst case scenario I'll be able to enjoy the Evo with my secondary genres of music like DnB (neurofunk, liquid, halftime) and 140bpm deep dubstep. Shoutout to the guys who mentioned G Jones earlier, he's a legend. I've got The Ineffable Truth on vinyl but still looking for a copy of Acid Disk.

The answer is yes.

Slower DD will not keep up with the following track. EVO blaze through it like nothing.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #34,040 of 40,579
Popped in to demo SP2000T today and had a good feel of super duo:
20211021_182242_HDR.jpg

I really loved how Odin was affected by tube mode on SP2kT. If you are on the edge of upper mids tolerance. I highly recommend to try. It tamed it without sucking the character out.
Not much difference between amp modes on EVO.
It is a fantastic synergy with both iems. But sp2k is still a king in soundstage dimensions and imaging.

Edit: oh and i forgot to top it of with this joke of desperation lol:
The nobles always make me laugh … I’m very curious about the SP2000t though. It just annoys me that all 4 DACs can only be used via balanced solid state.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #34,041 of 40,579
The nobles always make me laugh … I’m very curious about the SP2000t though. It just annoys me that all 4 DACs can only be used via balanced solid state.

Don’t wanna go OT, but I just got mine yesterday and I love it… I wish I had the Evo around still to try it with, the rendition of music on this thing is smooooooth. Typical AK smoothness.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #34,042 of 40,579
PSX_20211021_232308.jpg
Not sure who was asking about female vocals, but the way EVO showcases Lana's latest is nothing short of sensational. The delicacy, nuance and detail in Lana's voice is absolutely palpable, especially on Arcadia (which happens to be my favourite track on the album, and one of her best ever, in my opinion).

Well worth a listen when it drops on the streaming services tomorrow.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #34,043 of 40,579
Don’t wanna go OT, but I just got mine yesterday and I love it… I wish I had the Evo around still to try it with, the rendition of music on this thing is smooooooth. Typical AK smoothness.
How different is the full solid state mode compared to the full tube mode? Does detail retrieval take much of a hit?

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #34,045 of 40,579
I assume getting a sp2000t is more worthwile instead the sp2000 to experiment, considering lucky us few have the DX300MAX? I mean my head is spinning, as I just got my EVO, now I am like intrigued with the "birdie", the "first time cable" and of course the sp2000t..I am scared for my wallet.....lol

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #34,047 of 40,579
How different is the full solid state mode compared to the full tube mode? Does detail retrieval take much of a hit?

Ehhh, don’t expect drastic changes. It’s a slightly different textured sound between both. Tube sounds a little smoother where OP is a little more “crunchy” but not even close to what I’d actually describe as crunchy in isolation, if that makes sense? Basically, if you don’t like the house tuning of the SP2000 T then I really don’t think switching between any of the amp modes will change that as its still subtle at the end of the day.

I’m not sure how the pairing on the Evo would be, its definitely a warmer sounding DAP. I know @hshock76 really likes it with his Odin.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #34,048 of 40,579
It just annoys me that all 4 DACs can only be used via balanced solid state.
I did not know this. This is weak sauce.

Oct 21, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #34,049 of 40,579
Ehhh, don’t expect drastic changes. It’s a slightly different textured sound between both. Tube sounds a little smoother where OP is a little more “crunchy” but not even close to what I’d actually describe as crunchy in isolation, if that makes sense? Basically, if you don’t like the house tuning of the SP2000 T then I really don’t think switching between any of the amp modes will change that as its still subtle at the end of the day.

I’m not sure how the pairing on the Evo would be, its definitely a warmer sounding DAP. I know @hshock76 really likes it with his Odin.
Thanks for the thorough response, I’m intrigued enough to travel to demo it… I’ve been looking for a warmer source (with some flexibility like my SE200) to complement the Hugo 2 so this could be just the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back