Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #34,006 of 40,591
Just got my evos, but I am currently using a really weak player right now. Sony NW 55, I read on reddit or somewhere that using the mr walkman software will get me the wm1a sound. but I'm starting to not believe that anymore.

I got a small cheap headphone amp and could tell a pretty big difference. The bass is coming more alive now

I'm looking to get one of these: shanling m8, cayin n6ii E02 or lotoo paw 6000. If someone could recommend one of those players I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping for the most thunderous rumblings in my music. As deep and hard hitting as possible. (i dont know audiophile terms yet)

I listen to stuff like this:

thanks.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #34,007 of 40,591
Just got my evos, but I am currently using a really weak player right now. Sony NW 55, I read on reddit or somewhere that using the mr walkman software will get me the wm1a sound. but I'm starting to not believe that anymore.

I got a small cheap headphone amp and could tell a pretty big difference. The bass is coming more alive now

I'm looking to get one of these: shanling m8, cayin n6ii E02 or lotoo paw 6000. If someone could recommend one of those players I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping for the most thunderous rumblings in my music. As deep and hard hitting as possible. (i dont know audiophile terms yet)

I listen to stuff like this:

thanks.

I owned the NW-A55, ZX507 and WM1Z.

Imho the best DAP that exists right now is the FiiO M11 Plus LTD. It uses 2xAK4497EQ DAC + 2xTHX AAA-78 Amps. It won't get better than that for a long time.

After my experience I would not buy any DAP or AMP that does not have AKM DAC or THX AMP, no matter who made it.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #34,009 of 40,591
Just got my Evo today from headphones.com. Loving them so far. Just a quick question. Is a high pitched snap sound normal when inserting into ears? Sound like some sort of driver flex. Thanks guys!
Just got mine too - officially joining the 3k IEM club, barely two months into my new hobby.
  • Ear Tips - well, I was kind of worried, no seal, means not the optimal experiment, but turns out I did well with the enclosed tips, (L). I did make sure that I apply the tips properly, sliding it all the way (gently) in, so I could see the four holes or so through the silicon tip opening. I didn't get a sound or so I think
  • My DAP - for my Shure - I had it at 100% DAC volume with high gain - it required to be adjusted, to 80% - and I still kept the high gain setting for the EVO
  • Personal findings - I had no idea how great my Shure was with the upgraded Meze cable - at 1/3 of the cost - it is able to keep up with EVO - I can see why the Shure is and remain a reliable IEM - especially while on travel as it has a great seal I find when using it on the airplane.
    • Sorry (feat. ISAK) remixed by Alan Walker - amazing workout for the earbuds
  • Bass talk - I was worried that I may have chosen the incorrect IEM as my first splurge, but I think I did well, as I listen to EDM music and the bass was hearing with my Shure is perfectly in line to experience the EVO
Happy - but I also need to understand the gain I am experiencing are baby steps at this point, and what is next, another IEM or a cable, might be only baby steps too - to pursue that magical bliss of sound and music :) - shoutout to @headphones.com, they were more worried to get the IEM to me, than for me to receive one of my early holiday gift to myself, so I do appreciate the care!!!

Thanks to all on the board for keeping us entertained and educated on the EVO...! Happy Listening.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #34,010 of 40,591
thank you very much, that's more affordable than the other options, great battery life and amazon even carries it. win x3
Sadly I am not getting any provision from @FiiO :D

But i am sure you'll love it! Feel free to hit me in case you have any questions.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #34,011 of 40,591
Just got mine too - officially joining the 3k IEM club, barely two months into my new hobby.
  • Ear Tips - well, I was kind of worried, no seal, means not the optimal experiment, but turns out I did well with the enclosed tips, (L). I did make sure that I apply the tips properly, sliding it all the way (gently) in, so I could see the four holes or so through the silicon tip opening. I didn't get a sound or so I think
  • My DAP - for my Shure - I had it at 100% DAC volume with high gain - it required to be adjusted, to 80% - and I still kept the high gain setting for the EVO
  • Personal findings - I had no idea how great my Shure was with the upgraded Meze cable - at 1/3 of the cost - it is able to keep up with EVO - I can see why the Shure is and remain a reliable IEM - especially while on travel as it has a great seal I find when using it on the airplane.
    • Sorry (feat. ISAK) remixed by Alan Walker - amazing workout for the earbuds
  • Bass talk - I was worried that I may have chosen the incorrect IEM as my first splurge, but I think I did well, as I listen to EDM music and the bass was hearing with my Shure is perfectly in line to experience the EVO
Happy - but I also need to understand the gain I am experiencing are baby steps at this point, and what is next, another IEM or a cable, might be only baby steps too - to pursue that magical bliss of sound and music :) - shoutout to @headphones.com, they were more worried to get the IEM to me, than for me to receive one of my early holiday gift to myself, so I do appreciate the care!!!

Thanks to all on the board for keeping us entertained and educated on the EVO...! Happy Listening.
Same here! Only a few months into this hobby because Apple Music Lossless. That opened up this really deep rabbit hole and I'm already afraid how much I'll be spending after the EVO haha.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #34,012 of 40,591
Just got my EVO. Listened last night for a few hours. Just initial impressions, having not rolled tips, cables, sources yet... comparing to Legend X...

I listen to a lot of low end heavy electronic music that requires notes in the low end be discernable. What I notice immediately versus LX... even though there's big low end in the EVO... there's quite a lot of music where I can't discern the specific low end notes or frequencies that are in the track... where I can hear it with no problem on LX. Some/much of this music requires the low end pitch to be discernable in order for it to sound "right"... as in it's critical in order to hear the proper character of the piece.

With LX I hear all the little low end sub notes within and between notes. With EVO, I may get most of low end fundamental, but it's more like big low end boom with the micro tones and notes around it being less discernable and apparent. This micro low end information is critical for some of this music to sound "right". Again, I can hear it in LX... a lot of times I can't (yet) in EVO.

This really makes some of the tracks sound totally different.

So... gonna burn in, do some gear rolling, and keep listening. Really hope that low end loosens up a little and starts making that low end legibility more apparent.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #34,013 of 40,591
30mins into the evo from headphones.com, and I think I may be listing the odin’s. Definitely lower high’s, but the gains on the low end are incredible. Testing off an n8, but will have n6ii with r01 soon.

I'm waiting for mine as well, and looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #34,014 of 40,591
How different is amp12 from amp 11?

I would be careful recommending dx300 with amp11 as it has rolled off upper treble. And with Evo doing the same it would sound off.
Sorry, I just saw this message. To be honest, I don't recall the exact details of the difference. I did an A/B/C test of amp11 mk1, mk2 and amp12. I heard very little difference between mk1 and mk2 and I much preferred AMP12. AMP was overwhelmingly better since it has a true line out and really excelled with my C9. IIFC, the main reason I liked the AMP12 is the transparency and body of the bass and midrange were much more to my preference level. It really made my full sized headphones sound great with the C9 and DX300. In addition, all of my IEMs sound great with it. The DX300 is a warmer DAP than say the Hugo 2, which sounds strange pairing it with the EVO. But, for me, it works extremely well. I"d have to dig out for detailed impressions to recall the detail and my audio memory is not that good with the various amps.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #34,015 of 40,591
Hmm i have noticed that a lot of you like 1960s with EE stuff. Be it EVO, Odin or LX. I would like try it and see what magic is in there.

Shameless shills, all of you!!😁
I own 3 1960s 2-wire and 1 1960s 4-wire. I love the cable.

FYI. When I first met Dean Vang, he showed me his collection of IEM cables. As you might imagine, he gets the opportunity to hear a lot of cables since cable guys want him to bundle their cable with his IEMs. He said he tested hundreds of cables with LX and Odin and that the 1960s is the best cable he heard and is why he recommends that cable for both LX and Odin. Not sure what he believes about EVO. My guess is Genesis was his choice since it is a custom cable just for EVO.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #34,016 of 40,591
Just got my EVO. Listened last night for a few hours. Just initial impressions, having not rolled tips, cables, sources yet... comparing to Legend X...

I listen to a lot of low end heavy electronic music that requires notes in the low end be discernable. What I notice immediately versus LX... even though there's big low end in the EVO... there's quite a lot of music where I can't discern the specific low end notes or frequencies that are in the track... where I can hear it with no problem on LX. Some/much of this music requires the low end pitch to be discernable in order for it to sound "right"... as in it's critical in order to hear the proper character of the piece.

With LX I hear all the little low end sub notes within and between notes. With EVO, I may get most of low end fundamental, but it's more like big low end boom with the micro tones and notes around it being less discernable and apparent. This micro low end information is critical for some of this music to sound "right". Again, I can hear it in LX... a lot of times I can't (yet) in EVO.

So... gonna burn in, do some gear rolling, and keep listening. Really hope that low end loosens up a little and starts making that low end legibility more apparent.
So LX has more extension and detail in the lows from your initial impressions?

Yeah definitely play around with tips/source/burn-in. EVO being more resolving than LX in tuning and overall technicalities does allow the bass to not overwhelm/stand out as much as OGLX bass might.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #34,017 of 40,591
Same here! Only a few months into this hobby because Apple Music Lossless. That opened up this really deep rabbit hole and I'm already afraid how much I'll be spending after the EVO haha.
Oh for me it was that Tidal Hifi membership, aka. MQA quality of music...then the DAP...then of course the micron card!...- didn't recall that piece of tidbit till I read your reply about the music stream quality! Now I am centered around the idea for a cable or maybe another IEM - if I am going for the incremental bliss, I feel like another IEM is more visible to me - the rabbit hole - wow!

Right now - listening to my "old" music and re-discovering it with my new EVO's - I hear certain details I haven't heard before - and also a certain perfection and balance and the total package I never experienced before...fun..fun..fun..feeling so grateful and humbled for being able to enjoy such a privillege.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #34,018 of 40,591

Can you list some tracks. I always enjoy trying to hear what others are hearing.

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #34,019 of 40,591

Burn in...at least 100h. EVO's W9+ and WX drivers need plenty of settling in time. Out the box they're quite loose and bombastic. Post burn-in there's lots of daylight between EVO's bass quality and LX.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #34,020 of 40,591
This is a bit of a spur off the EVO express line. Yesterday I finally had a chance to have a good listen to my Odin customs with my Hugo2. Previously most of my listening had been with my L&P W2. Yes, the Odins do sound really, really good with the W2. But...

Often people remark that a great iem will “lift a veil” or let them hear details they hadn’t heard before. With the H2, the Odins are a complete revelation!! I’ve been using Wraith and Zeus XR that I truly love. But with the Odins, every album was like I was listening to it for the very first time. Songs I’ve heard hundreds of time now sound completely new to me. (Yes, even “Like A Virgin”, you wannabe perv!)

Yeah, I know there’s no such thing as endgame. But this is so dang close…

We now go back to our regularly-scheduled programming. ALL ABOARD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back