Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 15, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #33,661 of 40,731
Happier Than Ever has an average DR of 5, which is very low I agree, but works for this type of music, especially since Billie's music is fairly spartan and not very busy. When you have busier high-energy EDM with multiple effects and instruments, that's when low DR becomes messy, especially if what you're listening with doesn't have much of a stage or separation ability.

Higher DR doesn't always mean better quality music or recordings either. Sure it works for the likes of Floyd and Roxy Music, but it also means you're adding 10 clicks to the volume dial for those albums...and inevitably forget to turn the volume back down...

DR5 is DR5 , no way to sugarcoat it sorry chief :xf_cool: - i can send you hundred of spartan albums that have DR north of 10-11

but if this makes you happy , then good for you i guess

in the end , it comes down to what kind of sound/production our ears are used to

someone mentioned some pages back that st anger by metallica sounded bad , this album sounds like banging trashcans one of the worst mastering albums released in the last 30 years (i think it has a DR 3 ? just atrocious), like i said - try as much you want, there is no way to make a (sonic) turd taste (sound) like candy

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #33,662 of 40,731
Also, if you have a broad spectrum of music, you'll most probably need at least 2 IEM's to perfectly cover everything. There's pretty much no single earphone or headphone to do it all.

not true , Hidition NT6 covers all of my music genres nicely , and i listen to a lot of genres - 80s pop , 70s rock , 70s funk , 90s electronica , 80s art rock , 90s alternative , early 00s prog house , 80s-90s ambient , 70s disco (and i need to catch my breath)

but there is a catch , all albums are pre-2000 when -here we go again - loudness wars was not a phenomenon and those albums were produced/mastered great

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #33,663 of 40,731
DR5 is DR5 , no way to sugarcoat it sorry chief :xf_cool: - i can send you hundred of spartan albums that have DR north of 10-11

in the end , it comes down to what kind of sound/production our ears are used to

someone mentioned some pages back that st anger by metallica sounded bad , this album sounds like banging trashcans one of the worst mastering albums released in the last 30 years (i think it has a DR 3 ? just atrocious), like i said - try as much you want, there is no way to make a (sonic) turd taste (sound) like candy
Be careful, man. You’re starting to sound like an HTML search function. “<15DR=Bad” “>2000Music=Bad” :D

Rather than generalising and slating the art and all the hardworking people behind it, why don’t you forget about numbers and just listen every once in a while? You’re missing some very good stuff.

But, hey, if living in the past makes you happy, then good for you, I guess. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #33,664 of 40,731
Be careful, man. You’re starting to sound like an HTML search function. “>15DR=Bad” “<2000Music=Bad” :D

Rather than generalising and slating the art and all the hardworking people behind it, why don’t you forget about numbers and just listen every once in a while? You’re missing some very good stuff.

But, hey, if living in the past makes you happy, then good for you, I guess. :wink:

daniel , i know where to speak and where to stay quiet , trust me :wink:

send me over some very good stuff , see what i am missing

i could also send you a list of 100 favorite albums of mine , let me know how many you have heard

like i said , i know where to speak and where to stay quiet :wink:

cheers :)

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #33,665 of 40,731
That's why I don't get it when someone expects a high-end IEM to sound great with all types of music. Doesn't work that way, sadly.
It bloody does. As long as you know what you want from your music.

High quality iem will always soun. Better with same music no matter how crap it is compared to some low quality cheapo.

It will simply bottleneck somewhere and question will be wether its worth the investment.

Just listen to what you want with what you want.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #33,666 of 40,731
Odin / Evo peeps , here is a small present , 100 albums that (imho) are worth checking out (and all sound great , no crappy loudness wars/ultra compression)

sorry @Deezel177 but the past beats the crap out of the present , music - wise :)

(let me know which ones you have heard/like from the list )

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love (1982)

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II (1994)

Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children (1998)

Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi (2002)

Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase (2005)

Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest (2013)

David Byrne & Brian Eno - My Life In the Bush Of Ghosts (1981)

Cerrone - Supernature (1977)

Gene Clark - No Other (1974)

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name (1971)

Miles Davis - On the Corner (1972)

Miles Davis - Get Up With It (1974)

Miles Davis - Agharta (1975)

Miles Davis - Pangaea (1975)

Brian Eno - Ambient 4 : On Land (1982)

Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls (1985)

Bryan Ferry - Bete Noire (1987)

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night (1987)

Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On (1971)

Marvin Gaye - Here , My Dear (1978)

Manuel Gottsching - Inventions For Electric Guitar (1975)

Manuel Gottsching - E2 E4 (1984)

Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction (1987)

Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual (1990)

King Crimson - Discipline (1981)

Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998)

Monster Magnet - Dopes To Infinity (1995)

Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schimlson (1971)

Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral (1994)

Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975)

Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome (1977)

Pink Floyd - The Dark side Of The Moon (1973)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)

Pink Floyd - The Wall (1979)

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1992)

Roxy Music - Avalon (1980)

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

Sly And The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On (1971)

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993)

Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)

Soundgarden - Down On The Upside (1996)

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies (1992)

Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding (1981)

Steely Dan - Aja (1977)

Steely Dan - Gaucho (1980)

Sun Electric - 30.7.94 (1995)

Donna Summer - Once Upon A Time (1977)

Donna Summer - Bad Girls (1979)

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring (1986)

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden (1988)

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (1991)

Talking Heads - Remain In Light (1980)

Tangerine Dream - Ricochet (1975)

Tangerine Dream - Logos Live (1982)

Tangerine Dream - Poland (1984)

The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)

The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms (1994)

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute (2005)

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street (1972)

Wham! - The Final (1986)

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue (1977)

Neil Young - On The Beach (1974)

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #33,667 of 40,731

i could also send you a list of 100 favorite albums of mine , let me know how many you have heard

I’ve shared my reviewing playlist on Nic’s thread. I believe all of it was made post-2000 (2010, even), and most of it sounds superb, regardless of what numbers are attached to them.

My point wasn’t to compare eras and say one’s better than the other. It’s that adopting an elitist mindset towards music is a pointless errand. Do you plan on listening to zero new music until the industry comes to a unanimous agreement to bring wide dynamic range back wholesale? Is that really all you’re getting from music?

For me, personally, I just find it much healthier to embrace the present for what it is, rather than be bitter and yearn for what’s past. Ultimately, you’re only robbing yourself of new experiences. If you’re happy with that, honestly, good for you. I just don’t see why you can’t do that without bashing others, making comparisons or calling people names. That’s very odd to me.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #33,668 of 40,731
Well I must say, it has been quite the journey to sit back and watch the thread go off the rails. Amazing thing is, it all happened without a post from the evil Warlord @subguy812 . The usual suspects were still involved and yes even a drive by or two from folks that don't even own EVO and probably won't. It appears from the outside looking in, the angst focused in my direction may be slightly unjust, remember when you are pointing the finger, there are three more pointing back at you.

That said, it is great to see others receiving their units and enjoying them, regardless of the initial spate of negativity. Kudos for not having a fear of being cancelled.

The bass is top tier, rumbly layering, separation, everything I could ask for from bass. I can be prone to upper mid-range sensitivity, it kicks my tinnitus in the butt, but I have only encountered it once thus far, and I did turn down the volume a touch and it alleviated it. The treble extends and rolls off less than the Legend X. The stage is accurate and has width, but with well recorded tracks and music that has actual instruments(unless you consider pc generated instrument actual) you can actual achieve some depth as well, the rectangle gets taller and deeper. On my Snarky Puppy live recording the stage preciseness is evident, I was at the show of the recording, so it is a great reference. While pop type music is not my favorite, I have found Dua Lipa to have excellent production quality for that genre.

I have found narrow bore tips give me the best SQ, thus I like the the Final tips.

The shells are large, and as someone mentioned isolation is weirdly not the best, but bass does create its own isolation. I like the sound of the the cable but the ergonomics leave me a little meh.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #33,669 of 40,731
Mastering and the quality of recording is very important. But I first look at the content .
I really try hard to broaden my music library with browsing a lot of modern music. You might say I'm nostalgic or stuck in the past. But the truth is that older music is just richer in content and comes from a deeper place. At least to me.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #33,670 of 40,731

You are free to speak as YOU wish not as someone thinks you should speak. If they are bothered tell them not to read your post.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #33,671 of 40,731
Sheesh guys, one comment and I have to answer 20 posts! I do love this thread... :joy:

Also, if you have a broad spectrum of music, you'll most probably need at least 2 IEM's to perfectly cover everything. There's pretty much no single earphone or headphone to do it all.
Generally true, but it depends on how you define broad spectrum. It also depends how critical you are when listening. So many variables...

Sorry man, I love you but I have to call BS on that one. Using one low DR album to generalise the point doesn't work either. Take Brandi Carlile's 'By The Way, I forgive You', and it's average DR of 4 or 5. Is it too loud in parts? Sure. Does it make it any less artistic, nuanced and beautiful? Hell no! I think you're losing sight of the spirit of the music if you're gatekeeping anything that doesn't meet a certain technical criteria. And I can tell you for certain that some modern music that fails your compression test sounds a heck of a lot better than many (if not most) 50s, 60s and 70s recordings with 13+ DR that sound as if they were recorded with a pocket mic. And don't even get me started on pop and crackle vinyl or worse, analogue tape hiss...

Bottom line, though, it's all about preference. Slating anyone's taste in music is a big red flag, especially using numbers to justify it. By the way, I forgive you. :smirk:
not true , Hidition NT6 covers all of my music genres nicely , and i listen to a lot of genres - 80s pop , 70s rock , 70s funk , 90s electronica , 80s art rock , 90s alternative , early 00s prog house , 80s-90s ambient , 70s disco (and i need to catch my breath)

but there is a catch , all albums are pre-2000 when -here we go again - loudness wars was not a phenomenon and those albums were produced/mastered great
I bet you carefully vet and select your albums based on recording quality too, recording era aside. That's your preference and your right, and no-one can call you out for it, so the reverse would be appreciated. I happen to agree with you about the loudness wars, by the way, but DR doesn't paint the full picture, not even close.
Be careful, man. You’re starting to sound like an HTML search function. “>15DR=Bad” “<2000Music=Bad” :D

Couldn't have said it better. I love my classic albums and recordings, but some of my all-time favourite music has emerged in the past 5-10 years.
It bloody does. As long as you know what you want from your music.

High quality iem will always soun. Better with same music no matter how crap it is compared to some low quality cheapo.

It will simply bottleneck somewhere and question will be wether its worth the investment.

Just listen to what you want with what you want.
Don't agree with this at all. There's a reason some modern cheap pop is mastered for bass-heavy consumer cans and car stereos. Put that same music through EVO or Odin and be ready to have your ears raked over hot coals. I'd say it's even more important to pick the right music for IEMs and headphones than it is for speakers. There's plenty music that sounds great on speakers that I can't tolerate on IEMs or headphones, but I know which is which and I don't hold it against my IEMs for that music sounding crap. Gotta use the right too for the job.

As a corrolary to the above, one of the things that impresses me most about EVO is its ability to simulate the sound of life-size speakers, particualrly with its bass response. I feel the same way about the IE 900, LX (to an extent) and Tia Fourte. But that's specific to my peferences and others will have their own.
Mastering and the quality of recording is very important. But I first look at the content .
I really try hard to broaden my music library with browsing a lot of modern music. You might say I'm nostalgic or stuck in the past. But the truth is that older music is just richer in content and comes from a deeper place. At least to me.
That's your truth, not the truth. The distinction is subtle but important.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #33,672 of 40,731
I have found narrow bore tips give me the best SQ, thus I like the the Final tips
Surprising but true, i went back to Fianl E pinks today.

Was just testing the bass and damn that extension. Its just picks up such a low notes. And thanks to quantity its easily audible.
The only change to bass i would make is cut down 120-200hz steeper. It does take a bit of air from some tracks. But its just me and not a deal breaker given the staging of the rest.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #33,673 of 40,731
The only change to bass i would make is cut down 120-200hz steeper.
I find AET07 tips do that nicely, along with adding some air up top. That and a cable swap to Cardas Clear has my EVO purring nicely, but hitting with a hammer blow when called for. For balls-to-the-wall bass impact, Final E for sure, but be ready to sacrifice some mid quality/subtlety and air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back