Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 15, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #33,646 of 40,675
I have a few tracks I always try. This is one of them. It does sound throatier, sometimes bass overwhelms, and lacks air compared to Traillii. Still, each voice seems well represented. If you are listening for air/ambiance, Evo might not be the best.
Lack of air and more specifically spacial separation between voices was exactly what I thought was lacking, thanks for helping me clarify. That being said it still sounds very smooth and coherent, perhaps even more realistic that way.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #33,647 of 40,675
Lack of air and more specifically spacial separation between voices was exactly what I thought was lacking, thanks for helping me clarify. That being said it still sounds very smooth and coherent, perhaps even more realistic that way.
Yes I personally find it more 'natural' than how Traillii portrays layering and separation, but I wouldn't say one is right and the other wrong. It's just different ways of slicing the same pie. For many, Traillii's airier, more layered and separated presentation is its superpower, and I think one of the reasons they didn't put a fat DD in the Bird is because the natural decay and resonance of DD bass would take away from that cavernous experience. EVO's W9+ and WX put some of that spaciousness back, better than any other DD-driven IEM I've personally heard, but the sound is less about air and expansiveness with EVO as it is about guttural, life-like bass and vocal/instrumental timbre. That's why EVO and the Bird (or Odin) are good bedfellows, because they complement each other's strengths. At least that's my take on it.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #33,648 of 40,675
Yes I personally find it more 'natural' than how Traillii portrays layering and separation, but I wouldn't say one is right and the other wrong. It's just different ways of slicing the same pie. For many, Traillii's airier, more layered and separated presentation is its superpower, and I think one of the reasons they didn't put a fat DD in the Bird is because the natural decay and resonance of DD bass would take away from that cavernous experience. EVO's W9+ and WX put some of that spaciousness back, better than any other DD-driven IEM I've personally heard, but the sound is less about air and expansiveness with EVO as it is about guttural, life-like bass and vocal/instrumental timbre. That's why EVO and the Bird (or Odin) are good bedfellows, because they complement each other's strengths. At least that's my take on it.
There is definitely something going on in bass that you dont hear In any other iem.
Yes Evos upper treble is rolled off a touch but i see where EE went with this.
There is this very organic feel to it. And as with any other coloured iem it will do wonders for some genres, and will not work as well as some sparkly iems on others.

In general you would suspect that this kind of tuning with rolled off treble and bass shelf rising high into midbass, will totally suck out the air of presentation. Yet EVO demonstrates top notch staging and offers summit fi layering.

One other thing i would mention. Even though they are big and small eared people be warned. I find Evo extremely comfortable and good fit. I had no issues loosing seal when commuted to work this morning nor did i need to reposition iems regularly.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #33,649 of 40,675
Starting the cable rolling process with EA Code 51 :)
BD008490-E3A2-4049-AF07-6356B5D5D0F7.jpeg

Quite a nice pairing that adds a combination of smoothness and clarity to EVO’s top end. Mid bass energy and warmth sounds a little tapered off, but the overall bass texturing sounds incredible. So far, very impressed. Next will be Eletech Iliad and Horus Octa :)

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #33,650 of 40,675
Tip-rolling with the EVO, first attempt: Azla SednaEarfit Short & Light Short, Final E-tips black, ADV Eartune Fidelity U

I prefer the Fidelity U over the first 3 options though I think the Final E-tips worked pretty well as a default option. Interestingly I also liked the Fidelity U tips with my Odin as well. To my ears, this tip provides better dynamics and openness over the other options. I'll first eliminate the SednaEarfit (black) short here as I think the light short version provides better clarity. Keeping the Sedna Light Short and the Final E-tips black options for next round of comparisons.

More to come: AET07 (AEX07 as well if I get the HS2000MX soon), Canalworks gel tips, AZLA Crystal (tried the S and M versions, neither fit too well here, ordered the MS size to try), other Final E variants: clear & grey soft stem version

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #33,651 of 40,675
In general you would suspect that this kind of tuning with rolled off treble and bass shelf rising high into midbass, will totally suck out the air of presentation. Yet EVO demonstrates top notch staging and offers summit fi layering.

One other thing i would mention. Even though they are big and small eared people be warned. I find Evo extremely comfortable and good fit. I had no issues loosing seal when commuted to work this morning nor did i need to reposition iems regularly.
You've succinctly captured in two paragraphs the gist of my first two weeks' listening. 👊🏻

Oct 15, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #33,654 of 40,675
For all that wondered how the EVO sounds with Metal: I just listend to this:

dimmu-borgir-forces-of-the-northern-night.jpg

Metal + Live Orchestra + EVO = Holy c***! 🤩
hum...you got my attention... tell me more. :p

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #33,655 of 40,675
Billie Eilish albums are impeccably recorded and mastered, or at least that's how I hear them. They're also not chock-full of bright high-energy samples (not that there's anything wrong with that btw).

what's the DR there ? most post-2010 albums are super hot and recorded/mastered badly

people into 'modern' music take a DR8 as impreccably mastered , and this is laugh material

i am a fan of old school recordings that a) were recorded without compression/loudness wars b)were done in state of the art consoles by people who knew their craft c)aimed for people who like nice sounding recordings that could breathe and open up sound-wise

i am talking for albums like

roxy music - avalon
steely dan - aja
donald fagen - nightfly
pnik floyd - the wall
fleetwood mac - tango in the night
donna summer - once upon a time

the list goes on and on , these are albums with DR 13-17 , so yeah if people buy crappy mastered/produced albums no 5K iem is gonna make these shi.tty recordings sound good no matter what (cable/tip rolling/prayers/burn-in period)

i am listening to a 700 euro NT6 all these albums (and thousands more) and the sound is great cause a)the recording is great and b)the iem is fine (to these ears at least)

you can not make a turd taste like candy , no matter how much you sugar-coat it

cheers

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #33,657 of 40,675
what's the DR there ? most post-2010 albums are super hot and recorded/mastered badly

people into 'modern' music take a DR8 as impreccably mastered , and this is laugh material

i am a fan of old school recordings that a) were recorded without compression/loudness wars b)were done in state of the art consoles by people who knew their craft c)aimed for people who like nice sounding recordings that could breathe and open up sound-wise

roxy music - avalon
steely dan - aja
donald fagen - nightfly
pnik floyd - the wall

the list goes on and on , these are albums with DR 13-17 , so yeah if people buy crappy mastered/produced albums no 5K iem is gonna make these shi.tty recordings sound good no matter what (cable/tip rolling/prayers/burn-in period)

i am listening to a 700 euro NT6 all these albums (and thousands more) and the sound is great cause a)the recording is great and b)the iem is fine (to these ears at least)

cheers
Happier Than Ever has an average DR of 5, which is very low I agree, but works for this type of music, especially since Billie's music is fairly spartan and not very busy. When you have busier high-energy EDM with multiple effects and instruments, that's when low DR becomes messy, especially if what you're listening with doesn't have much of a stage or separation ability.

Higher DR doesn't always mean better quality music or recordings either. Sure it works for the likes of Floyd and Roxy Music, but it also means you're adding 10 clicks to the volume dial for those albums...and inevitably forget to turn the volume back down...

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #33,658 of 40,675

roxy music - avalon
steely dan - aja
donald fagen - nightfly
pnik floyd - the wall

cheers
True. You can have the best equipment and a bad recording will sound, well, bad. In our hobby, all the puzzle pieces have to match to reach total musical bliss😅

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #33,659 of 40,675
True. You can have the best equipment and a bad recording will sound, well, bad. In our hobby, all the puzzle pieces have to match to reach total musical bliss😅
That's why I don't get it when someone expects a high-end IEM to sound great with all types of music. Doesn't work that way, sadly.

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #33,660 of 40,675
That's why I don't get it when someone expects a high-end IEM to sound great with all types of music. Doesn't work that way, sadly.
Also, if you have a broad spectrum of music, you'll most probably need at least 2 IEM's to perfectly cover everything. There's pretty much no single earphone or headphone to do it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back