Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 14, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #33,631 of 40,675
I'm really worried to go back and listen to the LX. My only gripe with the EVO at the moment is i wish it had a tad more treble...well, that and the mids are a touch energetic to my ears but that's ok (i dont usually listen this loud). Still, neither are a deal breaker. I'm listening to tracks like Primus - Tommy The Cat and the bass is so enveloping and nice. Almost like a new layer not heard before.

I dont think i am really catching these reverb some mention. Any tracks i can listen to it on?

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #33,633 of 40,675
Yeah that's something you might be worry about if you're a basshead. Somebody mentioned evo have even less bass than odin and i find odin to be balanced sounding.
EVO most definitely does NOT have less bass than Odin.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #33,637 of 40,675
You can call 4000 hz monkey wrench if you want. I don’t care. I told you how i define it. You define it any way you want. Nobody is going to understand you though because they define it differently than you do. If that is your aim, fantastic, you are meeting your objective.
That is my point. If you do not properly define mids and treble, the wrong information is being passed. My point is what we call mids and treble are not supposed to be subjective, only our impressions of them.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #33,638 of 40,675
My honeymoon shot after one night :ksc75smile:

img7345.jpg

After trying different tips and cables, I'm back to the stock configuration. I really appreciate the tuning done with this combination. Turns out wide bore reduces higher mids but also reduces treble too much. No problem with that area after one day. From memory, Odin had the upper treble air and bite easy. With Evo, treble seems easy to lose.

Unlike Odin's sub-bass focused tight bass, Evo has solid and weighty bass (from sub to low-mids) with excellent decay (with stock cable). The bass tops my favorites like Hyla CE5/U18s/IER-Z1R. Drums and bass sound very good. The kick (sub-bass) seems a little wooly to me though... maybe it will come together better later. :thinking:Here's a fun track.

I love the stage created by Evo. Closer to the stage than Traillii. Vocals are up close for you to feel their breath. Any directness that I missed with Traillii, Evo does it very well. Instruments are well separated while each exhibiting excellent timbre. U18s was my timbre favorite. Now it's Evo :heart_eyes: ... well maybe minus the treble. I think I want a touch more there...

I'm going to experiment some more with cables. I have yet to try EA Horus. Maybe silver/gold will help with treble. Love to hear what you find if you have treble desire like me :wink:

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #33,640 of 40,675
I dont think i am really catching these reverb some mention. Any tracks i can listen to it on?
Outside of the abnormal thump in “Angel” by Massive Attack as noted earlier in the thread, it’s hard to pinpoint specific songs because it’s gotta be a song you know very well so you can hear the intangibles that you haven’t heard before from other IEMs. I don’t really notice it either unless I’m analyzing the track, aka focusing pretty heavily. So it’s definitely subtle and that seems to be the case for BCD in general.

Things you might notice is that vocals seem to float in a 3D-like way on the decay, and bass kicks have weight in their decay too. Instruments might have a bit more air. I only noticed it after cable swapping and with certain tips as well. A lotta factors.

Edit: sharing the best description I’ve read of it from a user describing his experience with FS:

“The BC drivers create this full-spectrum thickness. Everything from treble to bass has tactile weight that's quite unprecedented. The note weight + texture detail creates an unprecedented analytical effect. It's so 3D I can rotate the soundstage elements in my mind, like the wireframe of a 3D program, revealing exquisite new textural information. The metallic rumble of a Fender Jazzmaster bass guitar... I can see the coiled shape of that fat D string. I can almost "see behind the corner" of the sound-object. I can pick the entire vocal up from the air and view it from all angles. I see the direction of the air leaving the singer's voice”-Marat Sar

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #33,641 of 40,675
Yes, the EVO has landed!
897E0F80-6EBE-434F-A959-49D7E5302E43.jpeg
74C3DC5D-FF04-4854-97A9-8074D6E39F22.jpeg0EC47DC1-ADD4-4D98-AACF-AACB5631F824.jpeg84E5F951-223A-43FC-96E5-7810F3FF7B16.jpeg9CC3F0F7-A5D4-47A3-9BAA-69E4486DC7D2.jpeg45F41CBE-FFDB-45C3-8BD6-90D1E5306F62.jpegD37B2638-0814-4CEC-B735-41BD7BD6A247.jpeg

Unboxing thoughts: my EVO came with the left/right side cables installed wrong. No biggie here, using my DPS-L2 quickly confirmed this as it’s got separate left/right channel volume sliders. That Vishnu leather case is beautiful but I think a bit small. Wish the case was a little bigger, that would make storing the IEMs much easier.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #33,642 of 40,675
Outside of the abnormal thump in “Angel” by Massive Attack as noted earlier in the thread, it’s hard to pinpoint specific songs because it’s gotta be a song you know very well so you can hear the intangibles that you haven’t heard before from other IEMs. I don’t really notice it either unless I’m analyzing the track, aka focusing pretty heavily. So it’s definitely subtle and that seems to be the case for BCD in general.

Things you might notice is that vocals seem to float in a 3D-like way on the decay, and bass kicks have weight in their decay too. Instruments might have a bit more air. I only noticed it after cable swapping and with certain tips as well. A lotta factors.

Edit: sharing the best description I’ve read of it from a user describing his experience with FS:

“The BC drivers create this full-spectrum thickness. Everything from treble to bass has tactile weight that's quite unprecedented. The note weight + texture detail creates an unprecedented analytical effect. It's so 3D I can rotate the soundstage elements in my mind, like the wireframe of a 3D program, revealing exquisite new textural information. The metallic rumble of a Fender Jazzmaster bass guitar... I can see the coiled shape of that fat D string. I can almost "see behind the corner" of the sound-object. I can pick the entire vocal up from the air and view it from all angles. I see the direction of the air leaving the singer's voice”-Marat Sar

thanks for this. I am probably hearing it then as i mentioned some songs i know have a different texture.

Very cool.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #33,643 of 40,675

Can you link this quote? It’s a great and true statement on the BCD that I have also experienced.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #33,644 of 40,675

Last night, I heard some unusual echo (or more like confined room reverberation effect) in a couple of spots of my listening but I forgot to take notes... :sweat_smile: I haven't heard anything specific all day today. Will take note next time, if it does happen.

Anyone listening to music with complex vocal harmonies or perhaps choir-esque multi vocal tracks? I noticed EVO was having trouble with vocal separation when I was demo-ing it in-store.

I have a few tracks I always try. This is one of them. It does sound throatier, sometimes bass overwhelms, and lacks air compared to Traillii. Still, each voice seems well represented. If you are listening for air/ambiance, Evo might not be the best.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #33,645 of 40,675

Users who are viewing this thread

Back