Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #32,356 of 40,582
I haven’t heard the EVO, so I don’t know how valid this comparison is, but that description reminds me of what I heard on EE’s Wraith. It’s got a quirk where its centre image is a bit wider than you might expect. The lead instrument expands with a bit more surface area, if that makes sense. So, it could just as well be an EE thing, rather than an effect coming from the BC driver. But, again, I haven’t heard it yet, so we’ll see.
Saw this after I replied to Hawaii. This is what I heard as well but you described it more in depth. I guess I was not sure in which context resolve was using the word weird to describe it. Although similar to the wraith you kinda feel it with the EVO.

Nice work gentlemen. We cracked the case quick on this one.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #32,357 of 40,582
I haven’t heard the EVO, so I don’t know how valid this comparison is, but that description reminds me of what I heard on EE’s Wraith. It’s got a quirk where its centre image is a bit wider than you might expect. The lead instrument expands with a bit more surface area, if that makes sense. So, it could just as well be an EE thing, rather than an effect coming from the BC driver. But, again, I haven’t heard it yet, so we’ll see.
Definitely possible. I have not heard the Wraith.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #32,358 of 40,582
Ahh ok. I just perceived that as diffusion. Takes things and the reverb pushes them out wide a bit but in a realistic way.
Interesting. I don't perceive it as diffusion. It's definitely reverb. The same effect as taking a flat sound and adding a reverb simulator.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #32,359 of 40,582
Interesting. I don't perceive it as diffusion. It's definitely reverb. The same effect as taking a flat sound and adding a reverb simulator.
I like your ZMF description (I haven't heard the EVO yet), I love the Verite, and I think Zach used cup diffraction in their running.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #32,360 of 40,582
So this helps with the “low-level detail” of instrument portrayals, such as guitar string plucking and the pressing of piano keys? Or is detail not to be confused with instrument “weight/echo” in this case?

Either way, can’t wait!

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #32,361 of 40,582
what do you mean , chief ?
Obviously posting while half asleep in the euphoric throes of enjoying Odin is not a good idea.

Meant to say low gain as I've always kept my 1A in low unless an iem sounds wrong.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #32,362 of 40,582
I like your ZMF description (I haven't heard the EVO yet), I love the Verite, and I think Zach used cup diffraction in their running.
I thought that the ZMF reverberant sound was due to the tuning, but that was just an assumption. When I tune my ZMF VC to Harman, I lose that sound. So, I try to find sources not requiring me to EQ. The ZMF house sound with a tube amp that provides holographic, 3-D imaging is fantastic and a sound worth chasing.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #32,363 of 40,582
Gosh darn it now I gotta get all science-y and stuff 😝. Joking, it’s actually beneficial for those who take any consideration to how I explain things in posted impressions or reviews to know what I mean in shorthand. Just so we’re on the same page…

In the interest of simplicity I say diffused as it relates to the overall effect. Since diffusion in relation to reverb would technically be characterized as the density in which the echoes of the reverberation are reflected, I use the term diffused specifically when something echoes with proper note weight and decay (reverb) but sounds larger in projection than the immediate headspace. Simply put, all that mumbojumbo makes it sound as if you’re experiencing it in real life, occurring inside of a large room. Can it be considered reverb? Certainly, since reverb takes space to produce. An echo has to travel away and bounce back so the mere action of traveling away from your head means it’s been spread past the headspace, before it returns.

That was a mouthful. I apologize to the casuals.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #32,364 of 40,582
Gosh darn it now I gotta get all science-y and stuff 😝. Joking, it’s actually beneficial for those who take any consideration to how I explain things in posted impressions or reviews to know what I mean in shorthand. Just so we’re on the same page…

In the interest of simplicity I say diffused as it relates to the overall effect. Since diffusion in relation to reverb would technically be characterized as the density in which the echoes of the reverberation are reflected, I use the term diffused specifically when something echoes with proper note weight and decay (reverb) but sounds larger in projection than the immediate headspace. Simply put, all that mumbojumbo makes it sound as if you’re experiencing it in real life, occurring inside of a large room. Can it be considered reverb? Certainly, since reverb takes space to produce.

That was a mouthful. I apologize to the casuals.
Okay. Thanks for the technical explanation. To me, diffusion is a chemical term meaning spreading out of particles evenly in a solution.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #32,366 of 40,582
So this helps with the “low-level detail” of instrument portrayals, such as guitar string plucking and the pressing of piano keys? Or is detail not to be confused with instrument “weight/echo” in this case?

Either way, can’t wait!
The latter. The low level detail and texture of the EVO is much like the Odin and I think that is due to the W9+ driver. The guitar plucks and pressing of piano keys to me are defined by transients and instrumental timbre. Transients give you that crispness or dullness of the note and the timbre gives you the naturalness of sound. The EVO is very good with these 2 attributes of sound. I am not sure what causes note weight, maybe its decay. But I do notice that note weight is even when an IEM is high in coherence and the opposite when there is incoherence.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #32,369 of 40,582
There are so many of those terms that i notice people interpret differently such as dymamics and dynamic range, micro detail etc. And i often think i get it wrong lol.
Yeah. I am trying to improve my audio vocabulary. It's getting slowly better, but far from perfect. I find it helps to explain things in multiple ways so people can triangulate on what you are trying to say.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #32,370 of 40,582
Yeah. I am trying to improve my audio vocabulary. It's getting slowly better, but far from perfect. I find it helps to explain things in multiple ways so people can triangulate on what you are trying to say.
Hence my long winded efforts lol. I guess I just correlate many lower mid instruments, sounds, etc to have reverb by virtue of their characteristics. So when I feel that bouncing outside of my head and back, more or less my head is the start point and open space is where it travels before returning. Very unique experience the EVO creates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back