Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 23, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #3,032 of 40,656
Sick! Looking forward to your impressions
I've written a comparative review of the full Olympus line up a couple months ago, if you are interested, it is on page 116 of this tread.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,033 of 40,656
I've written a comparative review of the full Olympus line up a couple months ago, if you are interested, it is on page 116 of this tread.

Thanks for the orientation! I've been slowly reading every page of this thread and only got to page 98 so far... was bound to bump into yours sooner or later :)

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3,035 of 40,656
I'd like to preface the procedure by adding "DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK"

What you need:
- A really sharp knife/blade
- A wire cutter
- Duct tape

How to do it:
- Best to do the procedure under a table lamp
- Straighten out the wires and lay it flat on a table
- Lay the cable on the surface in a manner that the memory wire and the cable itself are parallel to each other
- make sure the remaining cable is laying on the table as well and not hanging down from the table
- apply 2 small pieces of duct tape. One on the IEM connector and the other at right before where the memory wire starts on the cable
- using the knife, make a smooth slit along the length of the tubing starting from the IEM connector end. Make sure you start a 1/4 inch or few mm from the IEM connector
- also make the slit where the memory wire is right under the tubing and not the cable line
- the memory wire should pop out of the tubing
- use the wire cutter to snif it off
- you can either choose to keep the tubing by applying a single layer of tape over it or cut it off carefully

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #3,036 of 40,656
I'd like to preface the procedure by adding "DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK"

What you need:

- A really sharp knife/blade

- A wire cutter

- Duct tape

How to do it:

- Best to do the procedure under a table lamp

- Straighten out the wires and lay it flat on a table

- Lay the cable on the surface in a manner that the memory wire and the cable itself are parallel to each other

- make sure the remaining cable is laying on the table as well and not hanging down from the table

- apply 2 small pieces of duct tape. One on the IEM connector and the other at right before where the memory wire starts on the cable

- using the knife, make a smooth slit along the length of the tubing starting from the IEM connector end. Make sure you start a 1/4 inch or few mm from the IEM connector

- also make the slit where the memory wire is right under the tubing and not the cable line

- the memory wire should pop out of the tubing

- use the wire cutter to snif it off

- you can either choose to keep the tubing by applying a single layer of tape over it or cut it off carefully

I'd love a video

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #3,037 of 40,656
Sep 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,040 of 40,656

Men, this is just a bad attitude!!  We need to scream and cry till we get what we want!  Preferably right now! 
biggrin.gif

No can do, bro. My wallet's being very petulant right now. Besides, my wife's birthday just passed, and I did buy something a little expensive, so.. I'll definitely need to be a little prudent, for now. 
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,041 of 40,656

You could just ask me. I can remove it for you =) 

I should have asked! My Starlight, while beautiful, sat mostly unused, until my wife decided to use it for one of her IEMs. My ears and memory wire don't really go well together. 
frown.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #3,043 of 40,656
I just hope the BTG wire doesn't itch or keep the ciems in place

BTW, this is my first custom (and only for the next 5 years) do they stay in place even without wire?

Are you asking if the customs stay in place even without any cables attached? If so, yes (if the CIEMs are well-crafted).

So don't worry about them feeling loose; if they fit your ears, they'll be snug and comfortable.

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #3,044 of 40,656
Any suggestions for 3rd party cables for Zeus r? I know the big cable is included but just seeing if there's anything better out there. Tried contacting toxic cables and went on the toxic cables thread but not getting too much feedback. Also waiting for Linum superbax to come out but the two pin version seems to be taking ages

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #3,045 of 40,656
Any suggestions for 3rd party cables for Zeus r? I know the big cable is included but just seeing if there's anything better out there. Tried contacting toxic cables and went on the toxic cables thread but not getting too much feedback. Also waiting for Linum superbax to come out but the two pin version seems to be taking ages

Why do you want to change the cable?  Is that related to changing a sound characteristic or to accessorize your iem/ciem?

If you want to get some idea about what to expect from different cables, you can read some of the comparisons I covered in my review HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back