Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 30, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #29,836 of 40,670
IMG_20210530_181111.jpg
IMG_20210530_181040.jpg

If I am on the go, I will grab one portable player for the day and one earphone for the day. Everything will be stored in this compact VanNuys package with a touch of leather packing. It is important that there is enough space for coiling up the cable nicely so that it will not leave any unwanted twists in your cable because it is also a piece of expensive hardware. Especially for those who are into nice and fancy cables from Effect Audio.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #29,837 of 40,670
I think that description is accurate. Basically it has slightly less mid bass, and a little more forward upper mids and lower treble. The differences aren’t massive but definitely audible when comparing the two. And for me, it was enough to make the SE a more enjoyable listening experience (especially for Anjunabeats/anjunadeep type of stuff :wink: )

My list of favs are too long to share here lol but I’ll PM you my Anjuna playlist. It all sounds amazing with LXSE :D

@gnahra is another anjuna fan with an LX SE who upgraded from OG LX. Maybe he can weigh in here too.
Yep agreed with this. I think a reasonable description is a more w-shaped tonality versus the OG. The more forward upper mids and lower treble balance out the bass more so than the LX, so one may also say the SE is more balanced overall (vis a vis the LX - the SE is still an LX at its core).
I’m not sure if this helps or not, but the SE is my brightest sounding IEM - to clarify, I’m particularly sensitive to harsh upper mids and lower treble, and as you can see from my sig my collection is definitely on the warm side, so please take the comment with the right context.

Hope this helps!

May 30, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #29,838 of 40,670
I have that Campfire Audio bag as well, but it doesn't fit in the Odin case. I actually use it for the Traillii since I don't like the case those came with.

Here is what I use for all of my IEMs: Covers

The first couple times you use them you have to stretch them a bit, but then they are super easy to put on.

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

My pic might be shocking for some, so just watch if you feel resilient today….this is how I travelled to Italy yesterday 🙈

Fits all nicely into the Pandora case…

IMG_0555.jpeg

May 30, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #29,839 of 40,670
IMG_20210530_181111.jpgIMG_20210530_181040.jpg

If I am on the go, I will grab one portable player for the day and one earphone for the day. Everything will be stored in this compact VanNuys package with a touch of leather packing. It is important that there is enough space for coiling up the cable nicely so that it will not leave any unwanted twists in your cable because it is also a piece of expensive hardware. Especially for those who are into nice and fancy cables from Effect Audio.

Why are these cases so expensive? My Mason FS came with one for a similar purpose as yours and I recently saw it advertised for $179.

May 30, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #29,840 of 40,670
I think that description is accurate. Basically it has slightly less mid bass, and a little more forward upper mids and lower treble. The differences aren’t massive but definitely audible when comparing the two. And for me, it was enough to make the SE a more enjoyable listening experience (especially for Anjunabeats/anjunadeep type of stuff :wink: )

My list of favs are too long to share here lol but I’ll PM you my Anjuna playlist. It all sounds amazing with LXSE :D

@gnahra is another anjuna fan with an LX SE who upgraded from OG LX. Maybe he can weigh in here too.

Love Anjunadeep 👍

May 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #29,841 of 40,670
Love Anjunadeep 👍

have you heard old school (2000-2004) prog house ?

check out this YT playlist of mine , this is smoking EDM (imo)

May 30, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #29,842 of 40,670
I've been hearing this from a lot of people I trust (like you) and need to understand HOW the M8 tuning is different to a more let's say neutral source like the DX300, especially with something like LX. What does it emphasize that others don't? And what does it give up? (Because nothing's perfect). Is it warmer? Thicker? Fuller? And where on the FR? And if so how did we get to everyone liking warmer when transparent/brighter A&K and Lotoo DAPs were all the rage at the high-end only a year ago?

I haven't heard the R8, or L&P’s devices (lack of streaming is a no-go for me), but in comparison to the DX 220, 220 MAX, 300, and AK Kann, which are all excellent. My standard for evaluating music reproduction is with live unamplified music (when available), or great recordings of the same, classical, opera, jazz, and a few live rock recordings (yes it's still manipulated, but there is a handful of gems out there).

So first, most Head Fi’ers don't listen to this genre, and I don't listen to EDM, Kpop, Black Metal, and very little Rap, so my personal opinions may not be the best match if you primarily listen to the later. Also, I believe that a lot of audio gear reproduces music with too much emphasis on treble and bass (but I still love my LX), and unnatural “spotlighting” of certain instruments. An example is a drummer’s cymbals, like the high hat, it may be fun to hear an extreme focus on this, but it's not something you hear listening to live music.

So given the above, the M8 sounds far more natural than the other DAPs I've heard.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #29,843 of 40,670
I've been hearing this from a lot of people I trust (like you) and need to understand HOW the M8 tuning is different to a more let's say neutral source like the DX300, especially with something like LX. What does it emphasize that others don't? And what does it give up? (Because nothing's perfect). Is it warmer? Thicker? Fuller? And where on the FR? And if so how did we get to everyone liking warmer when transparent/brighter A&K and Lotoo DAPs were all the rage at the high-end only a year ago?
I have both DX300 with Amp11mk1 and Amp11mk2 and M8. My Legend X is currently being refit so can't side by side compare right now. I overall agree with @Wildcatsare1 take on that M8 on that it sounds more natural. I do however primarily listen to pop, electronic, edm, rap, rnb, vocals, sometimes instrumentals and rock. I haven't heard other DAPs higher end than M8 and DX300, but what makes M8 unique to my ears is it is able to have this warm, organic, and smooth sound without sacrificing much in terms of resolution. M8 doesn't sound like I just used software EQ to warm up the sound which I personally don't like the sound of software EQ'd warmth. Maybe it's better to say the low end sounds more full or meaty on the M8? Another range to highlight are the upper-mids/mids. I find that the M8 is able to smoothly push forward the vocals without being aggressive. On DX300, the vocals are forward but not as smooth as M8 so some people find upper mids overemphasized when paired with an IEM that emphasizes upper mids already. DX300 I also find to have noticeably less resolution compared to M8. With Amp11Mk1 on DX300, there is a more noticeable mid-bass bump and not as much sub bass, but on M8 there is both a mid-bass and sub-bass bump.

In terms of cons, maybe M8 lacks a bit of speed that is needed for some electronic music in comparison. To some LX might sound a tad too warm on M8, but I didn't think so after I gave it some time for my ears to adjust to the sound. I can't confidently say that the LX and M8 is an incredible pairing, but I do think it's a good pairing. I can elaborate more later assuming I don't sell the DX300 by the time I get my refits back. Since I don't have them side-by-side, it is harder to properly compare in the way you would like.

Edit: Where I noticed a bigger difference between the M8 and DX300 was with the MEST Mk2 (when I had it). MEST Mk2 is a bit incoherent sounding to me on its own, but the M8 was able to smooth it out throughout the frequency range better than the DX300 and I noticed better resolution there as well.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #29,844 of 40,670
With the Dignis Arca cases I have, the diamond center insert is velcro'd on the sides and is removable, plus it's not the full height of the case - the divider is about two-thirds the height of the case and I'm able to put the cable of top. I'm able to fit a pair of EE CIEMs, an EA Leo II Octa, and the EA AKA balanced adapter in the case with no issues and no strain on the connections.
In my Arca, I can carry my Odin with stormbreaker, PW 2.5 to 4.4 adapter, Paw S1, Qudelix 5k and both usb c to usb c and usb c to lightning cables with no issues. I even have a cleaning cloth and an alcohol wipe always present.

May 31, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #29,845 of 40,670
I haven't heard the R8, or L&P’s devices (lack of streaming is a no-go for me), but in comparison to the DX 220, 220 MAX, 300, and AK Kann, which are all excellent. My standard for evaluating music reproduction is with live unamplified music (when available), or great recordings of the same, classical, opera, jazz, and a few live rock recordings (yes it's still manipulated, but there is a handful of gems out there).

So first, most Head Fi’ers don't listen to this genre, and I don't listen to EDM, Kpop, Black Metal, and very little Rap, so my personal opinions may not be the best match if you primarily listen to the later. Also, I believe that a lot of audio gear reproduces music with too much emphasis on treble and bass (but I still love my LX), and unnatural “spotlighting” of certain instruments. An example is a drummer’s cymbals, like the high hat, it may be fun to hear an extreme focus on this, but it's not something you hear listening to live music.

So given the above, the M8 sounds far more natural than the other DAPs I've heard.

I have both DX300 with Amp11mk1 and Amp11mk2 and M8. My Legend X is currently being refit so can't side by side compare right now. I overall agree with @Wildcatsare1 take on that M8 on that it sounds more natural. I do however primarily listen to pop, electronic, edm, rap, rnb, vocals, sometimes instrumentals and rock. I haven't heard other DAPs higher end than M8 and DX300, but what makes M8 unique to my ears is it is able to have this warm, organic, and smooth sound without sacrificing much in terms of resolution. M8 doesn't sound like I just used software EQ to warm up the sound which I personally don't like the sound of software EQ'd warmth. Maybe it's better to say the low end sounds more full or meaty on the M8? Another range to highlight are the upper-mids/mids. I find that the M8 is able to smoothly push forward the vocals without being aggressive. On DX300, the vocals are forward but not as smooth as M8 so some people find upper mids overemphasized when paired with an IEM that emphasizes upper mids already. DX300 I also find to have noticeably less resolution compared to M8. With Amp11Mk1 on DX300, there is a more noticeable mid-bass bump and not as much sub bass, but on M8 there is both a mid-bass and sub-bass bump.

In terms of cons, maybe M8 lacks a bit of speed that is needed for some electronic music in comparison. To some LX might sound a tad too warm on M8, but I didn't think so after I gave it some time for my ears to adjust to the sound. I can't confidently say that the LX and M8 is an incredible pairing, but I do think it's a good pairing. I can elaborate more later assuming I don't sell the DX300 by the time I get my refits back. Since I don't have them side-by-side, it is harder to properly compare in the way you would like.

Edit: Where I noticed a bigger difference between the M8 and DX300 was with the MEST Mk2 (when I had it). MEST Mk2 is a bit incoherent sounding to me on its own, but the M8 was able to smooth it out throughout the frequency range better than the DX300 and I noticed better resolution there as well.
Thanks for the feedback guys. So from what I'm gathering here, it's basically a case of smoothness over absolute clarity/precision, but without losing the detail usually associated with that type of tuning/technical presentation.

From a pairing perspective, unless you're fully into smooth, warm sound, it seems like a source that would pair better with more detailed, perhaps slightly thinner sounding or bass-light IEMs, to which it will impart a fullness and richness without reducing their detail delivery. So something like an Ely, which is a frequently mentioned pairing, would be ideal, or a MEST, with its technically excellent but quite aggressive and mid forward sound?

LX would probably be on the cusp (I tend to prefer LX with a more neutral source) but could work to give you an even thicker LX sound if that's what you're into. Fourte would be interesting, as it's very source sensitive. I can imagine M8 to be a very good pairing if you find Fourte too thin or clinical (which I don't personally but some do).

How's the treble emphasis on the M8? I would imagine relaxed/smooth, based on the sound profile?

Sorry if this is OT, my interest stems mostly from the LX pairing, which is the one I'd likely find problematic with a warmer source.

May 31, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #29,846 of 40,670
Has anyone here used tape to secure your EE IEMS to their 2 pin connectors?

I was using black electrical tape
I think I will try celotape (scotch tape USA) next

My custom Nemesis fit in my ears so tight (That's good) they are a real struggle to get out. (That's OK) I just don't one to fall off while its dangling over my shoulder while I am taking a phone call in the street or fall down a drain when I pull them out of a pocket.

I am quite rough on my things - I need to make sure everything is "rugged" / road ready.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #29,847 of 40,670
Thanks for the feedback guys. So from what I'm gathering here, it's basically a case of smoothness over absolute clarity/precision, but without losing the detail usually associated with that type of tuning/technical presentation.
Yeah pretty much lol

From a pairing perspective, unless you're fully into smooth, warm sound, it seems like a source that would pair better with more detailed, perhaps slightly thinner sounding or bass-light IEMs, to which it will impart a fullness and richness without reducing their detail delivery. So something like an Ely, which is a frequently mentioned pairing, would be ideal, or a MEST, with its technically excellent but quite aggressive and mid forward sound?
I got to be a bit careful on this. Yeah I agree that it pairs better with more detailed, thinner and/or perhaps bass-light IEMs, but it also pairs well with IEMs that are not that lol. Some people or maybe anyone who loves the M8 loves the pairing with IEMs like the IER-Z1R, Dorado 2020, LX. Even with its sound signature, its pairing is versatile which is part of what makes it unique. Based on what I read off of the M8 thread, I don't recall there being a pairing mentioned on the M8 that is not good, if not great.

LX would probably be on the cusp (I tend to prefer LX with a more neutral source) but could work to give you an even thicker LX sound if that's what you're into. Fourte would be interesting, as it's very source sensitive. I can imagine M8 to be a very good pairing if you find Fourte too thin or clinical (which I don't personally but some do).
I generally don't like having too much warmth with very few exceptions. For example, I do not like IEMs that sound like the Atlas. Regarding LX, it does toe that fine line, but out of the RME, DX300, and M8, I generally pick up the M8 for the LX if that means anything.

How's the treble emphasis on the M8? I would imagine relaxed/smooth, based on the sound profile?
In terms of tuning, yeah the DX300 sounds a bit more airy to my ears. M8 sounds a bit more laid back.

May 31, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #29,848 of 40,670
Has anyone tried pairing DUNU cables with Legend X? More specifically the DUNU DUW-03/BLANCHE/CHORD/NOBLE. If so, how do they compare to the stock cable?

May 31, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #29,849 of 40,670
Has anyone tried pairing DUNU cables with Legend X? More specifically the DUNU DUW-03/BLANCHE/CHORD/NOBLE. If so, how do they compare to the stock cable?
Yes, I’m running the Blanche with my LX from an LP6K 4.4mm out. Ergonomics are much better on the Blanche. Its a lot more flexible and the connector system is great. In terms of sound, when I did the switch, I noted more dynamism overall from the Blanche. As if everything was cranked to 11 and noticeably more precise. I haven’t changed cable for over 6 months now, been enjoying my setup so much finally after all those years of trying stuff.

i have the Chord and DUW-02 but on MMCX so can’t use for comparison though I do not remember them making an impactful difference as the Blanche did.

May 31, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #29,850 of 40,670
We hope you're enjoying your Memorial Day weekend! Just a reminder that today is the last day of our ongoing sale—take a look at our collection before it's gone tomorrow 👀

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/holiday-sale (we've got a couple of EE products here :))

MusicTeck Stay updated on MusicTeck at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicTeckStore https://www.musicteck.com/ info@musicteck.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• haci
Back