Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #27,646 of 40,565
Unless something has changed and you're not going custom (does ca do custom?) the fitment of the universals are generally horrible.
Salty can make a z1r fit, he can probably manage CFA :wink:.

I actually think CFA IEMs have pretty good fits, at least the Andros. Atlas and OG Solaris...yeah, not so much lol.

But no universal set of IEMs fit me as well/perfectly as EE-Odin, LX, etc. 😍

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #27,648 of 40,565
Salty can make a z1r fit, he can probably manage CFA :wink:.

I actually think CFA IEMs have pretty good fits, at least the Andros. Atlas and OG Solaris...yeah, not so much lol.

But no universal set of IEMs fit me as well/perfectly as EE-Odin, LX, etc. 😍

The sound with the Z1Rs is incredible, and having used them this entire time my LXs have been getting a spa treatment, I have come to respect and appreciate them even more. However, I can’t wait to finally get my LXs back in my ears. Waiting on that email from EE with a return tracking # is torture!!

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #27,650 of 40,565
I still have yet to fully compare the Z1R to the LX.

But on my search for my next IEM after years with the Layla.

The LX was a contender, then came, the Valky, and Wraith.

The Wraith was really close mainly because of the mids, but I just couldn't swallow the price at the time.

It was down between the LX and Valky. But then I got a chance to listen to the Z1R somewhere else, and idk there was some kind of magic that happened to me.

Or it might've been the Sony Fanboy in me but I was SOLD right away with the sound. I couldn't go home without them. So... long story short, I went with the Z1R.

And just this year, I was finally able to add the Wraith to fill in that midrange flavour.

But I'm still on the lookout for a "substitute" to the Z1R I can "safely" take with me during my daily transit adventures.

And on another note...

My ESR MKII Initial Impressions Video is finally up on YouTube.

Sorry it took a month but better late than never :joy:

Make sure you guys use the timestamp/chapters if you don't wanna watch the whole thing. I was just planning for it to be a quick video but it ended up being longer lol

Thanks for posting your impressions. A question for you regarding the Alpha cable, does it have a chin slider?

I also looked at the other videos on your channel and subscribed! :beerchug:

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #27,651 of 40,565
Well, I found a deal on a NIB Odin from a reputable seller that I've bought from before that I couldn't pass up, so it should be here mid-week or so. :L3000:

Thanks to everyone here who directly gave me help in my choice, as well as all the comments in this thread about the Odin and other competing IEMs I drew from to inform my choice.

I'll share impressions in time; I try to not post such things too soon so my excitement (or, otoh but hopefully not, disappointment) doesn't bias them too much...but I might not be able to help myself. :grin:

Be back soon; until then happy listening all!

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #27,652 of 40,565
I wouldn’t dare touch the mid bass on the LX so I don’t think I’d enjoy the Vega sound wise as much as I do it’s looks. Lots of guys swear by CA IEMs like the Vega, Andromeda, and Atlas for bass so I figured I’d ask. I’m still torn on what cable(s) I want to try out for my LXs since our last conversation on FB Messenger. 😖

It's just been my personal experience, but I'm not sure if I would say any of the Campfire stuff has excellent bass. Andromeda is plain BA, Ara is tighter than most BAs but still BA, Solaris 2020 is lacking in texture, and the Vega and Dorado were bass cannons but uncontrolled, also lacking in texture in my book. I'd say the Campfire stuff really shines with treble, staging, and presenting a unique, musical type of coloration.

I like Empire Ear's bass quite a lot, and it has a unique flavor to my ears. On stuff like the Hero and Valkyrie, it almost feels like the driver's capabilities are being strained - so there's some degree of bloat - but the excursive slam of these IEMs is terrific. You can absolutely feel the air being moved and the physicality behind notes; these IEMs have a sort of bombastic quality to them as if they're flexing, showing off. The Valkyrie's decay also went on for days; probably one of the longest decays I've heard of most any IEM. There's just so much character to the EE bass response that I don't hear often.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #27,653 of 40,565
Thanks for posting your impressions. A question for you regarding the Alpha cable, does it have a chin slider?

I also looked at the other videos on your channel and subscribed! :beerchug:
Thanks man!
I really appreciate it!
I’m still learning how to do videos 😂
It’s way more work than I expected. But I need to get better and get faster at post-production. (The ESR impression video took me close to 6 hours to edit)

Anyways, there is a chin slider! The whole Y-Splitter is much smaller compared to the previous ones I believe. I’ll post a photo when I arrive home from work.

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #27,654 of 40,565
A little bird delivered this today.

0E7B908A-A5AF-41A6-ADB4-2F78E79237A9.jpeg

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #27,655 of 40,565
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #27,657 of 40,565
Why only the LX? I received my N8 custom today, and it's great. All the fit issues, gone.. I'm completely sold on the customs concept, and will be exploring Odin and Jolene CIEMs.. :)
Because LX is the only one of my two current tentpole IEMs (the Fourte being the other) that is available as custom. Thankfully the fit of both Fourte and LX is so good, I'm not really convinced a custom will do me any favours, especially since I won't be able to resell them. I haven't heard Odin yet, but if and when I do, and if it displaces one of my IEMs, I'll get it as custom because the universal fit (judging by the Bravado Mk II shell - review coming soon) is, to put it diplomatically, not the LX.
A little bird delivered this today.

0E7B908A-A5AF-41A6-ADB4-2F78E79237A9.jpeg
You know, using the word 'bird' on high end IEM threads carries with it a certain expectation now... 😅 Very nice IEMs btw, look forward to impressions.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #27,658 of 40,565
Yes. It's the SE and Horus Octa. A great combination; both looks and sound.
That combo is a must hear for sure!

Someday... Someday... 😭

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #27,659 of 40,565
@NovaFlyer here’s the Alpha(right) and Ares(left) Y-splitter side by side.

E4E89351-23B7-471B-AE8B-1349B55CC37C.jpeg

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #27,660 of 40,565
New excited and more than happy owner of an EE Legend X, as well as an EE ODIN here. It‘s crazy, I got them both last week!

I know it‘s too early for a long term review. All I can say that none of my HP‘s or IEMs ever excited me that much like both EEs. None was capable of releasing these emotions. Well, maybe the HD800 that I bought in 2013 wich still excites me (now the 800s) like day 1. So I am confident that this a love that remains :)

I think it is unbelievable what is possible today with IEMs in terms of sound quality, detail retrieval, resolution etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back