Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 21, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #27,616 of 40,591
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 11.14.55 AM.png

Lots of similarities. I found the Trio dull when I heard it. In some respects the Legend X is what would happen if the Trio put on some weight, had a few too many and let loose a little bit.
Just to add when doing some comparisons using crin's graph. Make sure you go to the Normalize section and click on the 1000 Hz and hit enter.
It doesn't align correctly at 1kHz in the beginning.

Here's the comparison after it's actually normalized at 60dB at 1kHz.

graph.png

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #27,617 of 40,591
I agree with Andrew about many things but this review was quite confusing when I tried the LX and Trio side-by-side myself. But since Andrew rates the U12t as his perfect tuning it does make sense. It seems he likes his bass much flatter and faster, and also more in the background. Quite the opposite of how I like it. But that's the beauty of this hobby.
The more you guys talk about it, the more I am interested in it. Most of my IEMs are reference type matching my dominant taste, but I am a wannabe bass head. It's like chocolate is my favorite flavor of ice cream but I don’t mind having pralines and cream every now and then. It’s boring to have all variants of chocolate. I need a guilty pleasure IEM.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #27,618 of 40,591
One of my bucketlist audio dreams is to hear that LX SE that has the more forward mids.
What is the difference between the LX and LX SE? I see that there is a big price difference.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #27,619 of 40,591
Just to add when doing some comparisons using crin's graph. Make sure you go to the Normalize section and click on the 1000 Hz and hit enter.
It doesn't align correctly at 1kHz in the beginning.

Here's the comparison after it's actually normalized at 60dB at 1kHz.

graph.png
Those are 2 very different sound signatures.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #27,620 of 40,591
LX bass can be controlled with tips. There have been many tips i have tried that made LX bloated and thick. And there are few that tone it down to the point that LX looses its charm. So if going universal tip rolling is recommended. Included Final E were mediocre, for me at least.

BTW @gLer. Tried CP500s. And i can tell you dont bother. Its sound very lean, and nothing like LX. I think it because tips dont seal around nozzle well. They are very comfortable but really were not my thing.

20210320_143059.jpg
Here is how cp500(bottom)bore looks next to Earfits, whirlwinds, Spiral dots OG, and Spinfit cp145.

So nozzle is mediym width. It did not shrink soundstage like cp145s do. But just does not have body. Not just bass. But lower mids too.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #27,621 of 40,591
It sounds so neutral to me now... Even when coming from the likes of the VE8 and Z1R. Unless the bass is in the track the LX doesn’t show it... doesn't paint everything as 'bassy'. I think people need to listen to it after some extended usage before writing it off as a bass-head only IEM.
I tried to give it a few more chances, I just couldn't bring myself to like it.

All the time on HF and I think there are a lot of people that are bass heads without realizing it.
Dull is definitely not a word I'd use to describe Trio. It's full-on high energy, detail and zing. I find a LX more refined, more balanced and less fatiguing up top.
Perhaps bass head vs treble head preferences? I definitely prefer Trio over LX

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #27,622 of 40,591
The more you guys talk about it, the more I am interested in it. Most of my IEMs are reference type matching my dominant taste, but I am a wannabe bass head. It's like chocolate is my favorite flavor of ice cream but I don’t mind having pralines and cream every now and then. It’s boring to have all variants of chocolate. I need a guilty pleasure IEM.
For me LX is chocolate where most other IEMs are vanilla. It's more a case of THAT'S how it should taste rather than a guilty pleasure (even though I've cream if any description is a guilty pleasure with my current waistline!).
LX bass can be controlled with tips. There have been many tips i have tried that made LX bloated and thick. And there are few that tone it down to the point that LX looses its charm. So if going universal tip rolling is recommended. Included Final E were mediocre, for me at least.

BTW @gLer. Tried CP500s. And i can tell you dont bother. Its sound very lean, and nothing like LX. I think it because tips dont seal around nozzle well. They are very comfortable but really were not my thing.

20210320_143059.jpg
Here is how cp500(bottom)bore looks next to Earfits, whirlwinds, Spiral dots OG, and Spinfit cp145.

So nozzle is mediym width. It did not shrink soundstage like cp145s do. But just does not have body. Not just bass. But lower mids too.
Thanks for trying it and for the feedback. I've settled back in with the Spiral Dots as my favourite tips for LX, not just for comfort but also sound..it smooths out any errant treble peaks and the bass is still deliciously deep and natural when called for.
Perhaps bass head vs treble head preferences? I definitely prefer Trio over LX
Maybe, though I love extended treble (as long as it's smooth and infinitely revealing like Fourte) as much as I do deep and powerful DD bass. Both LX and Trio have deep bass and extended treble, I just find LX more refined and restrained up top compared to the brasher, more spicy Trio. It's purely a matter of preference. I also prefer the LX's more reserved mids. Forward/elevated upper mids/lower treble is definitely not my preference.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #27,623 of 40,591
Thanks for trying it and for the feedback. I've settled back in with the Spiral Dots as my favourite tips for LX, not just for comfort but also sound..it smooths out any errant treble peaks and the bass is still deliciously deep and natural when called for.
Interesting, that you are saying SD tips smooth out treble peaks. As i find Spiral dots propably in my top 3, but the only reason they are not no1 is because i get lower treble pushed forward too much. Its not extreme peak, but its there.
I would not be surprised as we all haeve very different treble sensitivity thresholds but from what i read here our preferences have more in common than not.

Anyways, taking about treble. I think alot depends on how loud you listen to your music. For me treble gets out of hand very quick with volume turned up. And a problem i used to have with other iems it would just drown mids. LX keeps that treble controlled even on higher volumes.
Another thing is i have noticed is that for example listening to a record of drummer in a busy rock track will benefit from more treble as it makes it more realistic. But than lets say listening to some genres of EDM or especially something hip hop can become fatiguing at the same level.

My preferences jump between orchestral music like OSTs and electronic music so sometimes difference is clear between genres.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #27,624 of 40,591
Interesting, that you are saying SD tips smooth out treble peaks. As i find Spiral dots propably in my top 3, but the only reason they are not no1 is because i get lower treble pushed forward too much. Its not extreme peak, but its there.
I would not be surprised as we all haeve very different treble sensitivity thresholds but from what i read here our preferences have more in common than not.

Anyways, taking about treble. I think alot depends on how loud you listen to your music. For me treble gets out of hand very quick with volume turned up. And a problem i used to have with other iems it would just drown mids. LX keeps that treble controlled even on higher volumes.
Another thing is i have noticed is that for example listening to a record of drummer in a busy rock track will benefit from more treble as it makes it more realistic. But than lets say listening to some genres of EDM or especially something hip hop can become fatiguing at the same level.

My preferences jump between orchestral music like OSTs and electronic music so sometimes difference is clear between genres.
I think Spirals do bring out treble clarity but also make treble smoother. Must be the 'dots' doing their thing. They're definitely not as crisp as something like Sedna EarFits, but that's where volume plays more of a role. I can definitely listen louder with Spirals, though tend to keep volume on the moderate side nowadays. I also think Spirals smooth out the vocals more than 'sharper' tips like Sedna. It's mostly a matter of preference and I sometimes switch between the two myself. Thanks for saving me cash on the Spinfits! 😉

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #27,625 of 40,591
I think Spirals do bring out treble clarity but also make treble smoother. Must be the 'dots' doing their thing. They're definitely not as crisp as something like Sedna EarFits, but that's where volume plays more of a role. I can definitely listen louder with Spirals, though tend to keep volume on the moderate side nowadays. I also think Spirals smooth out the vocals more than 'sharper' tips like Sedna. It's mostly a matter of preference and I sometimes switch between the two myself. Thanks for saving me cash on the Spinfits! 😉
I must agree on mids between SD and earfits. I do like some energy in upper mids and R8 and LX synergy left me wanting a touch more, so sednas do exactlh that. Where as SDs leave mids untouched the way i hear it. So treble seems to take a step forward. Which is not a bad thing. It adds to that sense of spaciousness.
I still need to reorder bigger size of SD++ as i do like its softness. But my usual MS size was too small and did not get a proper seal.. So a 40 buck mistake here...

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #27,626 of 40,591
Oof, responding at 2 AM might be the best idea for me. Anyhow...

Don't let my fringe hearing detract from the fact that the LX (like the Hero and Valkyrie) are extremely capable and do their intended signature very well.

My problem with iems over the years is that once I hear something that I dislike, it tends to plague me like a form of OCD and just sucks the joy out of it.

I'm quite curious since I haven't seen any review mention bass bleed at all. But on LX, Valk and Hero I'm definitely hearing it.
No no, I understand what you're saying. I have the same vicious agitation from small quirks in audio. Not everyone shares that sentiment with me either so I am by no means saying you're wrong.

I would mostly assume in your case it's the source as even with my affinity for the LX, I would not pair it with a warm source. I'd say to try pairing the LX with a a slimmer sounding / analytical source like the Paw S1 or similar.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #27,628 of 40,591
Legend X MKII with updated W9+ DD's and the LX SE's tuning .... what you saying @Jack Vang ?? Take my money :wink:
I felt the same exact way before I heard the LXSE. Although that sounds amazing, I personally think an OG LX with the Updated W9 DDs that does it a bit cleaner (yes, as amazing as the bass is, I feel it can be cleaner but more of a preference thing) would be even more interesting. Or both :).
One of my bucketlist audio dreams is to hear that LX SE that has the more forward mids.
What is the difference between the LX and LX SE? I see that there is a big price difference.
I felt the LXSE is a lot more similar to the Aure Elixir which most people haven't heard. It has a slightly drier overall presentation with much more lower treble being emphasized. To my ears, it loses the magic that makes OG LX special, mainly the thick, warm rich timbre that still manages to be very technical, detailed and spacious. They're really compliments, and I feel others who have owned the LXSE agree that it is not just a slight tuning shift that is similar to adding a silver cable on the OG. It really does sound like a different IEM despite those w9s going to work (again, more similar to Elixir than OG from memory).

How does the Legend X Compare to the Sony IER-Z1R? I really love the bass of the Z1Rs. I think I am going to have a chance to audition the Legend X in a couple weeks and I am wondering where it fits.
Just to piggyback on others, Sony Z1R focuses more on an addicting, quick decay subbass with less midbass focus, meanwhile LX bass is definitely much more visceral and "boomy", in a good way. Z1R has somewhat a U-shaped, slight recession in the mids but it surprisingly works well for the signature. LX is L-shaped but the mids are very present and warm, inviting, yet detailed. Z1R has the more active treble, which can come across harsher, meanwhile I don't think anyone can view the LX treble as harsh as its very smooth and extended. (LXSE, on the other hand, can get a bit hot depending on cables, and other owners have confirmed the same). The contrast of the dark signature for OG allows for nice sparkle. Technically, LX is superior with larger stage width and depth versus Z1R.

The "bass bleed" comments is likely just how an L-shaped signature may come across, with the bass being the predominant focal point. But with time, as many noted the LX needs for both brain burn-in and IEM burn-in, you realize how much more the OG is with the lush mids and laid back but very well extended treble.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #27,629 of 40,591
I felt the same exact way before I heard the LXSE. Although that sounds amazing, I personally think an OG LX with the Updated W9 DDs that does it a bit cleaner (yes, as amazing as the bass is, I feel it can be cleaner but more of a preference thing) would be even more interesting. Or both :).

I felt the LXSE is a lot more similar to the Aure Elixir which most people haven't heard. It has a slightly drier overall presentation with much more lower treble being emphasized. To my ears, it loses the magic that makes OG LX special, mainly the thick, warm rich timbre that still manages to be very technical, detailed and spacious. They're really compliments, and I feel others who have owned the LXSE agree that it is not just a slight tuning shift that is similar to adding a silver cable on the OG. It really does sound like a different IEM despite those w9s going to work (again, more similar to Elixir than OG from memory).

Just to piggyback on others, Sony Z1R focuses more on an addicting, quick decay subbass with less midbass focus, meanwhile LX bass is definitely much more visceral and "boomy", in a good way. Z1R has somewhat a U-shaped, slight recession in the mids but it surprisingly works well for the signature. LX is L-shaped but the mids are very present and warm, inviting, yet detailed. Z1R has the more active treble, which can come across harsher, meanwhile I don't think anyone can view the LX treble as harsh as its very smooth and extended. (LXSE, on the other hand, can get a bit hot depending on cables, and other owners have confirmed the same). The contrast of the dark signature for OG allows for nice sparkle. Technically, LX is superior with larger stage width and depth versus Z1R.

The "bass bleed" comments is likely just how an L-shaped signature may come across, with the bass being the predominant focal point. But with time, as many noted the LX needs for both brain burn-in and IEM burn-in, you realize how much more the OG is with the lush mids and laid back but very well extended treble.

Ear and brain burn-in on the LX is a real thing. My first impressions were a bit disappointing and then the next day it was an eargasmic experience!! I can’t wait to get mine back from their spa treatment at EE. It’s been agonizing not having them the last couple of weeks. I feel like an EE addict having withdrawal symptoms every day I don’t have my LXs. On a positive note, my ear mold appointment is in two days so custom LXs here I come!!

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #27,630 of 40,591
I am a wannabe bass head.
Haha - that is the first time I have ever read (or heard) about someone wanna be a basshead... either you are or you're not!
(BTW, ever since middle school - I am a wannabe cool dude :wink:)
Hmmm... so if one goes custom - would the LX bass be block and thick, toned down, or "just right"? (hopefully, the latter...) :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back