Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 4, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #24,796 of 40,675
I’ve got something that kind of resembles your club concept but we mostly just lend each other gear and sell to the group at stupid low prices because it’s a hassle free experience

I quite like the idea of the club you mentioned, I need to work out some numbers and see if there will be any dealers in the EU that would be interested in getting involved on some level. I’ll definitely investigate it though, I love the concept
Actually I brought the idea of a subscription service or upgrade service of sorts up to @Andrew DiMarcangelo
The 'upgrade service' idea occurred to me when I decided to join Apple's upgrade program last year...for a few extra bucks a month, you're allowed to swap out for the latest-and-greatest iPhone every 12 months.
I know I would pay a bit of a premium to protect against "upgrade-itis."
Not sure if the math and logistics would work for either idea, but would love to help brainstorm or otherwise see it come to market!

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #24,798 of 40,675
Actually I brought the idea of a subscription service or upgrade service of sorts up to @Andrew DiMarcangelo
The 'upgrade service' idea occurred to me when I decided to join Apple's upgrade program last year...for a few extra bucks a month, you're allowed to swap out for the latest-and-greatest iPhone every 12 months.
Not sure if the math and logistics would work for either idea, but would love to help brainstorm or otherwise see it come to market!

The retailer I worked for had a great program where you could return a product in good condition for full credit towards an item at twice the price, a year later. This was a huge driver of our high end business back in the dot.com days in the Bay Area, and continued into the 00s.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #24,799 of 40,675
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Sep 4, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #24,801 of 40,675
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of an ever-revolving door of high-end IEMs. I suppose it woukd be fun on the one hand, but on the other it really commodotises much of what I consider to be premium items, and very personal purchases.

We (well, many of us anyway) tend to be very passionate about our music and our music gear, and simply swapping them out every year cheapens them a bit, for me. These are not iPhones, they're not just another device, they're something we spend months researching, waiting for, speculating on, anticipating, and we then get to spend alot of intimate time with them connecting with our music.

Again, maybe it's just me, but I still want to hold on to that feeling of exclusivity when I finally find and buy a new IEM, and the idea that my favourites will stay with me for many years yet.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #24,802 of 40,675
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of an ever-revolving door of high-end IEMs. I suppose it woukd be fun on the one hand, but on the other it really commodotises much of what I consider to be premium items, and very personal purchases.

We (well, many of us anyway) tend to be very passionate about our music and our music gear, and simply swapping them out every year cheapens them a bit, for me. These are not iPhones, they're not just another device, they're something we spend months researching, waiting for, speculating on, anticipating, and we then get to spend alot of intimate time with them connecting with our music.

Again, maybe it's just me, but I still want to hold on to that feeling of exclusivity when I finally find and buy a new IEM, and the idea that my favourites will stay with me for many years yet.
Very fair perspective and I am beginning to appreciate the same myself.
Certainly not a slam-dunk idea...

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #24,804 of 40,675
I find the stock spinfits the best, I got some custom silicone tips made from custom art and those are great too. Wasn’t a fan of the Xelastecs.

It’s hard to flat out recommend one over the other. I prefer the sound presentation of the Erlk as it’s more engaging to me.
Thanks for letting me know. So, in terms of the size of the tips did you have to go with a different size to get the Erlkonig to fit properly? I had a pair of spinfits that I normally use and had to adjust quite a bit before I got them to even go in. This has never happened to me before in over 10+ years in this hobby.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #24,805 of 40,675
Thanks for letting me know. So, in terms of the size of the tips did you have to go with a different size to get the Erlkonig to fit properly? I had a pair of spinfits that I normally use and had to adjust quite a bit before I got them to even go in. This has never happened to me before in over 10+ years in this hobby.

I have small ears, so size S in just about any tips is a necessity for me.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #24,806 of 40,675
Happened to me with the Z1r, we all have our day.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #24,808 of 40,675

Oh yeah, the Z1R were never comfortable when I tried, I think due to the cable. I have the EX1000 and EX800ST and they have always felt uncomfortable, even after I modded to use with other cables.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #24,810 of 40,675
Odin/Erlkonig > PW1960s > P6

That sounds a killer setup.

I guess you would need to try both IEMs to see which you prefer. They are both TOTL and so it’s down to which one floats your boat.
I've tried the Odin just last week and I think they were fantastic. I remarked in another thread that they did everything well but nothing really stood out (unlike the Legend X with the visceral slam). That being said I only spent about 30 mins with them. I tried the Erlkonigs for about 20 mins yesterday with about 5 mins trying to get a decent fit. When I did the sound was lively, intimate and intense. Reminded me a bit of the EE King Arthur but much smoother. So, if I can get the Elrkonigs to fit I would go for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back