Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #24,766 of 40,628
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #24,768 of 40,628
Got the Bravado MKII recently. As a previous Bravado 1st gen user before, MKII has improved a lot in terms of sound stage, mid and high.

Attachments

• IMG-0752.jpg
    IMG-0752.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #24,769 of 40,628
Ask seller to value it low so that you don't have to pay custom, I has sold many to Europe and ALWAYS put it down the amount buyer requested

It’s sold anyway. Well the officers are getting smarter nowadays. I’ve had cases where the items have already been declared lower, but somehow they managed to get the real price. Anyway, let’s get back to discussing EE :relaxed:

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #24,770 of 40,628
Spent some time today with the Odin so figured I’d post some initial impressions. I do this with every IEM I get to hear, regardless of burn in or not. So before the pitch forks come out, keep that in mind.

Frequency range is nicely extended and well represented from top to bottom. Really love the sub bass extension, stretches super low, wish it had more thump though or moved a bit more air around (or any at all for that matter), overall its pretty neutral to my ears and I prefer something with a bit more low end.

Mids are fine but come off a bit thin to my ears, coming from the Erlkonig though I pretty much expected this, as the mid presentation between both IEMs is quite different. They’re more laid back on the Odin and more in your face and thicker on the Erlkonig, I PREFER the latter. Are the Odin’s mids bad? No, just a preference thing here. I do notice that upper mid peak but I don’t find it being too much for my ears or problematic, I suppose I can see it bothering some people but I imagine that’ll be the ones with super sensitive ears. The biggest problem I have with the mids is the lack of body.

Treble to me is done pretty well, nice extension and smooth. Don’t really have anything to else to write regarding this. I don’t think it’ll exaclty please treble heads but I can’t think of many people having negative thoughts about it.

Build quality is great, the cable is stunning and makes me want to own 3rd party cables again. The ergonomics are also fantastic, super light shell and a good fit for my small ears, YMMV here.

Overall I think it’s a really good IEM, and I can see why a lot of people are very happy, but for my current tastes and preferences it’s not really for me. I prefer a bit more warmth to my sound. At this level in the TOTL game it all comes down to preferences, IMO.

All listening done using the DX220MAX, stock cable, and stock tips. I listen to mostly EDM.

Happy to answer any questions if there are any.
I tried a pair of Erlkonigs today and I couldn't get a good fit/seal. The seller suggested I need to use smaller sized Azlan Elastecs (I'm normally MS). Any hints? I did love the sound when I got them to kind of fit, played off of P6 with PW 1960s 4-wired.

I also considered the Odin so for the same price, Erlkonig what would you suggest?

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #24,771 of 40,628
Got the Bravado MKII recently. As a previous Bravado 1st gen user before, MKII has improved a lot in terms of sound stage, mid and high.

Is the price same as old Bravado?

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #24,772 of 40,628
I tried a pair of Erlkonigs today and I couldn't get a good fit/seal. The seller suggested I need to use smaller sized Azlan Elastecs (I'm normally MS). Any hints? I did love the sound when I got them to kind of fit, played off of P6 with PW 1960s 4-wired.

I also considered the Odin so for the same price, Erlkonig what would you suggest?
I have used the stock spinfit (purple stem), xelastics, sedna light earfit short, and out of those I prefer the sq with stock, but if the sednas work, use them. These are two different IEMs, can't suggest one over the other. Depends on preference.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #24,773 of 40,628

Odin/Erlkonig > PW1960s > P6

That sounds a killer setup.

I guess you would need to try both IEMs to see which you prefer. They are both TOTL and so it’s down to which one floats your boat.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #24,774 of 40,628

My joy can be your nitemare and vice versa so you gotta hear it yourself ultimately. As for me odin is awesome earpieces but seems a little messy on top with the ringing high treble (sometimes) while serving excellent bass layering, yet lacks the impact. I don't need much bass but need to feel that hard-hitting thump but it comes rather mellow trying to harmonize and blend in too well with other frequencies. Regardless, the bass is still my favorite part of odin being better than any other iems I tried except solaris. Again, it all comes down to personal preference. Having exposed to these two iems, I would still choose odin over erlkonig though.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #24,775 of 40,628

I find the stock spinfits the best, I got some custom silicone tips made from custom art and those are great too. Wasn’t a fan of the Xelastecs.

It’s hard to flat out recommend one over the other. I prefer the sound presentation of the Erlk as it’s more engaging to me.

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #24,776 of 40,628
My joy can be your nitemare and vice versa so you gotta hear it yourself ultimately. As for me odin is awesome earpieces but seems a little messy on top with the ringing high treble (sometimes) while serving excellent bass layering, yet lacks the impact. I don't need much bass but need to feel that hard-hitting thump but it comes rather mellow trying to harmonize and blend in too well with other frequencies. Regardless, the bass is still my favorite part of odin being better than any other iems I tried except solaris. Again, it all comes down to personal preference. Having exposed to these two iems, I would still choose odin over erlkonig though.

Here’s where EQ can come in regarding the bass. Generally, on my better headphones, I avoid EQ due to potential phase anomalies. I think the bass is quite excellent, and when a recording has great bass, the Odin reveals it with authority. When the recording is bass light, the Odin doesn’t editorialize the recording. Very neutral, in my estimation. But sometimes I’m in the mood to rock, so a few dB does the trick.

Regarding the mids/trebles, I went through a period during burn-in where the midrange had a piercing quality to it, but now that I have over 200 hours on my Odin, this area has settled for me. I’m using my AK240SS as my primary source, and it is a bit lean sounding in its character due to its stainless steel design, but with the Odin fully settled—I believe—the two now match up well.

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #24,777 of 40,628
I noticed an Odin FE and Hero FE in the classifieds which just goes to show how we all hear things in our own unique way.

The issue of blind buying, especially higher priced items, is a hindrance to the success of our hobby. Yes, large markets have a dealer or two where one can audition, but for those that live in less populated areas, not being able to listen to an object of desire holds back the sales potential.

I always wondered whether Head-Fi could leverage its brand by franchising retail stores across the country, in both large and small markets. Perhaps the folks at Head-Fi have enough on its hands, but I wonder if this is a missed opportunity. 🤔

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #24,778 of 40,628
I noticed an Odin FE and Hero FE in the classifieds which just goes to show how we all hear things in our own unique way.

The issue of blind buying, especially higher priced items, is a hindrance to the success of our hobby. Yes, large markets have a dealer or two where one can audition, but for those that live in less populated areas, not being able to listen to an object of desire holds back the sales potential.

I always wondered whether Head-Fi could leverage its brand by franchising retail stores across the country, in both large and small markets. Perhaps the folks at Head-Fi have enough on its hands, but I wonder if this is a missed opportunity. 🤔
In most places you kinda have to take a swing and accept a few hundred dollars that you’ll probably be losing if you don’t like an item. There’s a few dealers that offer demos though which is quite nice, and some IEM companies do tours

Alternatively you can move to Singapore and be done with the hassle of not having places to demo things

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #24,779 of 40,628
In most places you kinda have to take a swing and accept a few hundred dollars that you’ll probably be losing if you don’t like an item. There’s a few dealers that offer demos though which is quite nice, and some IEM companies do tours

Alternatively you can move to Singapore and be done with the hassle of not having places to demo things

I don’t think the weather there would agree with me. 🤪

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #24,780 of 40,628
In most places you kinda have to take a swing and accept a few hundred dollars that you’ll probably be losing if you don’t like an item.
Sometimes it ends up being more than that though, especially something in the price range of ODIN where the buyer pool is limited. Even more so in today's uncertain economic climate, that's a potentially expensive audition!

To an extent it is what it is like you said though. Retail is already dead (some of them just don't know it yet) and personal audio is already niche as it is in many parts of the globe. No way a retail network survives and meets & Canjams can only do so much. So either you bite the bullet and blind buy or just don't get a chance to try it and move on with your life. I'm itching to try ODIN, but no way I'm blind buying $3,400.

The other thing I thought about the other day is if you make a club. Everyone pays a monthly due and with the dues you buy a bunch of stuff that goes around touring. Then when the tours up you raffle it or put it up for auction to generate more revenue to buy the next thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back