Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 4, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #24,814 of 40,684
Odin has arrived! How did @Andrew DiMarcangelo know I’m a Halo fanboy?? That founders edition number is PERFECT. These iems are even more special now. And an amazing Theo sea salt and almond chocolate bar (not pictured as I immediately took it to the fridge), thanks again!

D37CF555-B7D7-4D43-82F1-5FB1460E0D2F.jpeg

B6078D12-9DF8-430B-B422-CE3F7F9FA252.jpeg

C79C7DD0-B074-496F-87BA-014D651D3ABE.jpeg

578CF7F1-216D-4CC0-A87F-11BDE9EE708F.jpeg

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #24,815 of 40,684
Odin has arrived! How did @Andrew DiMarcangelo know I’m a Halo fanboy?? That founders edition number is PERFECT. These iems are even more special now. And an amazing Theo sea salt and almond chocolate bar (not pictured as I immediately took it to the fridge), thanks again!

D37CF555-B7D7-4D43-82F1-5FB1460E0D2F.jpeg

B6078D12-9DF8-430B-B422-CE3F7F9FA252.jpeg

C79C7DD0-B074-496F-87BA-014D651D3ABE.jpeg

578CF7F1-216D-4CC0-A87F-11BDE9EE708F.jpeg
When that Master Chief Petty Officer John 117 hits you in the feels.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #24,816 of 40,684
Here’s where EQ can come in regarding the bass. Generally, on my better headphones, I avoid EQ due to potential phase anomalies. I think the bass is quite excellent, and when a recording has great bass, the Odin reveals it with authority. When the recording is bass light, the Odin doesn’t editorialize the recording. Very neutral, in my estimation. But sometimes I’m in the mood to rock, so a few dB does the trick.

Regarding the mids/trebles, I went through a period during burn-in where the midrange had a piercing quality to it, but now that I have over 200 hours on my Odin, this area has settled for me. I’m using my AK240SS as my primary source, and it is a bit lean sounding in its character due to its stainless steel design, but with the Odin fully settled—I believe—the two now match up well.

You could be right that I may require more burn in but the treble being a little bright could have been contributed by the fact that I use impedance adapter to make the bass tighter. The impedance adapter does work in that respect but at the same time it could have boosted the treble. There is no doubt all frequencies under odin are well harmonized producing amazing coherency but less attenuation on mid-bass could have made it more exciting. imho.I am exclusively using P6 which doesn't have custom EQ so I have to rely on odin's native rendering but end of the day I really like the "natural" 3D tonality of odin/p6 combo.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #24,817 of 40,684
New sound impressions:

Very important review in my opinion, regardless if you agree or not on the aspects. I believe, it shows that Odin is indeed bright IEM and will not suit people who are more into warm sound. And multiplying brightness with extreme focus on details, resolution and great coherency throughout the entire frequency range alternatively to other TOTL IEMs that are focused only on one thing (bass/mids/treble), Odin can feel too overwhelming and fatiguing. Because it boosts everything to its maximum.
And this, I presume, is the reason for its cost, why it is so different from other flagships and why some people here praising it as a god indeed.
The conclusion here is following, I think. Empire Ears were able to create something unique, to squeeze everything from the current technological IEM stage, like building a PC from the top components offered by market or buying the car that is racing, off-road and for parking in the city at the same time. And they should definitely get credit for it. But, as everyone's preferences are different, some will not enjoy off-road car that is tiny and with high clearance, but somehow can do 0-100 in under 3 seconds, not to mention engine sound. So, because of the specificity of the audiophile market, Odin is still not for everyone, as any other IEMs are and will be.
Some will like cold and bright sound with details, some will find it too in-your-face. But for those who like the tuning, it is going to be on the entire different level, compared to other IEMs . There can also be a funny situations with adaption to the sound. So, if you find it slightly too forward for your taste, then after a month you will be praising it and considering other IEMs muffled. Personally, Odin looks very promising to me, as I hated almost all flaghsip IEMs that I was able to listen at the local shop, as they all have crazy unnatural tuning and my 200 dollars IEMs were better, loosing at every aspect on its own, but instead being more linear, clear and balanced.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #24,820 of 40,684
That’s not a cheap speaker is it? Doubt they could charge that unless it was in another level.

It’s a Wilson so it won’t be readily affordable, especially within the context of headfi. However Wilson’s do sound incredible and if you like their design/sound then there isn’t an alternative.

I think Wilson’s are worth the money in the second hand market, you can get some nice deals.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #24,821 of 40,684
I’m not sure I agree with your vision of a retail landscape being without promise. It all comes down to execution, and good employees. I always looked at a market and if there was a success story, then I knew there was opportunity.
Here in the US during an election year, they would like you to think retail is dead, at least until November 3rd. It will amazingly have life after that.

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #24,822 of 40,684
Here in the US during an election year, they would like you to think retail is dead, at least until November 3rd. It will amazingly have life after that.
The death of retail is kinda independent from a national election..

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #24,824 of 40,684
These IEM’s sound like a Wilson speaker, notably the Sasha DAW. If you like Wilson sound, with a touch more bass this is the IEM for you.

Interesting comparison. Funny, my buddy has the DAW in for review for TAS. Daryl Wilson has done a great job after taking over from his late dad. I hated the Wilson sound when David was using those metal tweeters. I knew him and all he talked about was marketing. They are kings for that and good on them. They make a very nice speaker and have their following for sure.

I read about folks thinking the Odin is bright or that they don't scale. I've been using them on an AK SR25 (broken in) as well as my 50k server/streamer/DAC from Laufer Technic. They built a very high end headphone amp for me that they upgraded this past week. The Odin's scale not only to me, but also to my wife. She hates all this audio gear, but has great ears. She was highly impressed by the sound from the SR25, but said that when I plugged them into the DAC, that they were amazing. She doesn't know or care about percussive impact, or dynamics, or trailing or leading edge of notes. She doesn't want to talk about soundstage or imaging. She just listens and let's me know what she does nd doesn't like.

I personally can't listen to anything that is bright or any system that isn't coherent from top to bottom. We all are sensitive to things like that. I remember sitting with Dean listening to something he was working on and telling him it was too fatiguing for my ears. He laughed and agreed and then make an adjustment and the fatigue was gone, but the detail wasn't. There will never be a transducer for everyone, but no TOTL IEM is made for everyone. The fact is, a very small percentage feel it's too bright. For so many more it's not. Listen and purchase or pass. It's all good in audio. :).

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #24,825 of 40,684
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back