Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 3, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #24,706 of 40,625
True :) I just wrote about sound quakity. The other thing is I used to use it at home mostly.
On sound alone it’s amazing yeah. I bought the focal Elegia when I tried it with the mojo, and haven’t used it since I sold the Mojo because of how good that pairing was

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #24,707 of 40,625
Having had 24 hours to listen to both the Odin and Hero now, I have to say that, pre burn-in, they are both exceptional in their own spaces. I think @CL14715 was pretty dead on with his thoughts for both. I have no idea where talk of a piercing upper midrange or piercing treble respectively have come from. in my experience that's patently nonsense although I do concede that we all hear differently so maybe either I'm incredibly lucky or select others are incredibly unlucky. I can only speak from my experience and, to my ears, the Hero is a very lively, exciting listen with incredible bass and astonishing clarity across the whole range. I think it's important to distinguish between clarity in the mids/treble and sharpness in the mids/treble, which, to my ears, the Hero absolutely does not suffer from. It's a distinctly W-shaped signature for sure, but has a pretty unique overall sound - at least in my experience (for context, I own a LOT of what are considered to be TOTL iems, cables and DAPs) - and, although I genuinely thought I might be selling these on, I can already confidently say that they will be a permanent fixture in my collection. As for the Odin, well... they're just on a different level entirely. To my ears, they are pretty much perfect across the entire frequency range with a level of coherence that I have never experienced before. The whole sound signature is as close to perfect as I've ever encountered in an iem. It simply is THAT good. I'm actually praying that the burn-in doesn't affect it too much as I love it how it is already. Again all this talk of a peaky/shouty upper midrange is absolute nonsense to my ears and, again, there is something truly unique about the overall sound signature. This is the closest I've ever come to the mythical 'endgame'. Both sets of iems are also unique in my experience, as they are the only iems that I've ever owned that I haven't found the need to cable roll with (and I am an obsessive cable roller). For anyone on the fence, I urge you to ignore the criticism of 'people overhyping them' and just pull the trigger for whichever fits your needs, if you can afford them. I was really prepared to be disappointed but both have significantly exceeded my expectations. Congrats to @Jack Vang and Dean Vang for creating two truly exceptional products that really do stand out in a very crowded marketplace and, I think, will become the benchmarks for each of their respective price brackets.

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #24,708 of 40,625
Having had 24 hours to listen to both the Odin and Hero now, I have to say that, pre burn-in, they are both exceptional in their own spaces. I think @CL14715 was pretty dead on with his thoughts for both. I have no idea where talk of a piercing upper midrange or piercing treble respectively have come from. in my experience that's patently nonsense although I do concede that we all hear differently so maybe either I'm incredibly lucky or select others are incredibly unlucky. I can only speak from my experience and, to my ears, the Hero is a very lively, exciting listen with incredible bass and astonishing clarity across the whole range. I think it's important to distinguish between clarity in the mids/treble and sharpness in the mids/treble, which, to my ears, the Hero absolutely does not suffer from. It's a distinctly W-shaped signature for sure, but has a pretty unique overall sound - at least in my experience (for context, I own a LOT of what are considered to be TOTL iems, cables and DAPs) - and, although I genuinely thought I might be selling these on, I can already confidently say that they will be a permanent fixture in my collection. As for the Odin, well... they're just on a different level entirely. To my ears, they are pretty much perfect across the entire frequency range with a level of coherence that I have never experienced before. The whole sound signature is as close to perfect as I've ever encountered in an iem. It simply is THAT good. I'm actually praying that the burn-in doesn't affect it too much as I love it how it is already. Again all this talk of a peaky/shouty upper midrange is absolute nonsense to my ears and, again, there is something truly unique about the overall sound signature. This is the closest I've ever come to the mythical 'endgame'. Both sets of iems are also unique in my experience, as they are the only iems that I've ever owned that I haven't found the need to cable roll with (and I am an obsessive cable roller). For anyone on the fence, I urge you to ignore the criticism of 'people overhyping them' and just pull the trigger for whichever fits your needs, if you can afford them. I was really prepared to be disappointed but both have significantly exceeded my expectations. Congrats to @Jack Vang and Dean Vang for creating two truly exceptional products that really do stand out in a very crowded marketplace and, I think, will become the benchmarks for each of their respective price brackets.
In before someone comes with a 5 paragraph post to shoot you down...

I would never maliciously recommend or hype something unless I truly believe the masses would feel the same. I get no kick backs or anything, it was just my honest perception. Thanks for sharing your vote of confidence. I agree, the team at Empire Ears did a bang up job.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #24,709 of 40,625
Any piercing could be caused by bad seal, I think

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #24,710 of 40,625
Any piercing could be caused by bad seal, I think
Well, I did an extensive tip rolling first to make sure that I get good seal.
Still I got "shouty" upper mid and a bit sharp treble within 100 or so hours.
Now, my ODIN sounds sublime with LP P6 and DX220 Max. Of course, YMMV.

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #24,711 of 40,625
Well, I did an extensive tip rolling first to make sure that I get good seal.
Still I got "shouty" upper mid and a bit sharp treble within 100 or so hours.
Now, my ODIN sounds sublime with LP P6 and DX220 Max. Of course, YMMV.

When you’re referring to “shouty”, is it the same as sibilance?

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #24,712 of 40,625
i have seen only one person (1) not liking Odin

i have not seen any other totl with so few 'me no like' opinion

every other TOTL iem has had its share of 'me no like' opinions

so , this tells me that Odin is probably the best iem made (until now)

Change my mind.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #24,713 of 40,625

Change my mind.
Scientist-Stereotype-777x518.jpg

You sir are a scientist. Theory proven. It is now the law. Inform the mods.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #24,714 of 40,625
i have seen only one person (1) not liking Odin

i have not seen any other totl with so few 'me no like' opinion

every other TOTL iem has had its share of 'me no like' opinions

Change my mind.
Well I guess it's a strange way to see things, and a statement that does not make any sense to me. There is no "best IEM made", as it's also a matter of taste... Truth is elsewhere.

Odin is a great proposal, and I like it a lot. But I can easily understand thoose who find the upper mids a little too much "in your face".

No problem with that, just listen another TOTL IEM, they are plenty out there doing a wonderful job.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #24,716 of 40,625
Odin is probably the best iem made (until now)

Change my mind.

I was seriously on the fence when I first listened. It wasn't until I found a source that paired well that the Odin changed my mind. Straight off an SP1000? The Odin was not for me. Still isn't. Both 64 Audio flagships sound better across the board, to my ears. The top end through the SP1000 is overly bright and grating.

My experience is that the Odin does not scale well. It's great with some sources and not great with others. It so happens that what it works well with is VERRRY expensive. Tips and ear placement matter (not deep, pulled slightly down (tip angled slightly up) in the ear canal. But hook them up just so, find that synergy, and they're as good if not better than any headphone I've heard, save the ultra-expensive over-ears.

Does that make them the best? Up to you. My Fourtes sound good on pretty much anything. They sound incredible with the right pairing, but they never sound poor. The Odin sounds poor to bad with some pairings-- phenomenal (untouchable) with the right pairing.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #24,718 of 40,625
Well I guess it's a strange way to see things, and a statement that does not make any sense to me. There is no "best IEM made", as it's also a matter of taste... Truth is elsewhere.

Odin is a great proposal, and I like it a lot. But I can easily understand thoose who find the upper mids a little too much "in your face".

No problem with that, just listen another TOTL IEM, they are plenty out there doing a wonderful job.
Yep, I see there's no shortage of fuel for the hype train just yet.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #24,719 of 40,625
Yep, I see there's no shortage of fuel for the hype train just yet.

The hype train never stops anywhere near me. It just keeps on going down the tracks. I will never buy an IEM without hearing it first. My first IEM is the only one I bought blind and it is actually one of my favorite, LOL. The rest of my IEMS I heard before buying.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #24,720 of 40,625
I was seriously on the fence when I first listened. It wasn't until I found a source that paired well that the Odin changed my mind. Straight off an SP1000? The Odin was not for me. Still isn't. Both 64 Audio flagships sound better across the board, to my ears. The top end through the SP1000 is overly bright and grating.

My experience is that the Odin does not scale well. It's great with some sources and not great with others. It so happens that what it works well with is VERRRY expensive. Tips and ear placement matter (not deep, pulled slightly down (tip angled slightly up) in the ear canal. But hook them up just so, find that synergy, and they're as good if not better than any headphone I've heard, save the ultra-expensive over-ears.

Does that make them the best? Up to you. My Fourtes sound good on pretty much anything. They sound incredible with the right pairing, but they never sound poor. The Odin sounds poor to bad with some pairings-- phenomenal (untouchable) with the right pairing.
Not the first flagship product that is 'picky' with pairings, and won't be the last. The HD800 is a great example in the headphone world. Pair it with a bright, clinical source and say goodbye to your ears (unless you're some sort of sadistic treblehead or just enjoy the pain). But pair it with the right source, something warmer and more organic, or a smooth tube amp, and it's auditory bliss. The HD800 has survived a decade and is still considered one of the very best. Time will tell if Odin fares equally well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back