Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 2, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #24,676 of 40,559
I haven't spent enough time with high end sources to really have strong opinions and will likely keep it that way for the near future... ignorance is bliss, right?
My trusty M11 Pro is doing just fine. The Lotoo S1 is nice for the Macbook Pro. The BTR5 is great for Bluetooth and portability. Realistically how much audio quality am I missing? That last 5% ?

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #24,677 of 40,559
How is that any different from a home system? My home speakers are $14000 and are being ran by $4000 worth of receiver and separate amp. Most people have more money in their speakers than the electronics.
Spend more on the transducers that actually reproduce the sound instead of the signal chain? Apparently that's too novel a concept :)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #24,678 of 40,559
My trusty M11 Pro is doing just fine. The Lotoo S1 is nice for the Macbook Pro. The BTR5 is great for Bluetooth and portability. Realistically how much audio quality am I missing? That last 5% ?
It's up to what you're looking for. I was a happy M11Pro user for 8 months. If it's dynamice probably less than 5%. If it's soundstage, probably more.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #24,679 of 40,559
Just got my BTR5 yesterday. Charged and paired within seconds. I love the fit and finish.

Agreed, the subtleties are critical and can only be determined after engaging with a CIEM for a longer period of time through a wider range of music. Early impressions are fleeting. The better CIEMs in my collection unfold for me over time. Often the best CIEM can even sound boring at first until you really get to know them and see how they scale or pair with different equipment where they take on elite status. The biggest problem with some of the greats out there is that they are hard to drive not truly showing what they are capable of until properly driven and paired with the right equipment. The Wraith for example is wonderful but is sometimes written off too quickly after being driven improperly as it is better at scaling up than scaling down where it loses its incredible articulate bass. It must be fed properly to get its wings, then it soars. I cannot wait to hear the ODIN as everyone is making it sound like the best of all worlds. :)

Barra, I couldn't agree more. So well put and thanks. I've been posting when I can about the Odin's. I'm just blown away by how great they are and how much more detail I'm getting, even with the SR25. I'm about to order the new AK SE200 as I don't want the huge 2000. I'm getting the Burson amps this week and will test it with that being fed by my SR25. These things scale in an amazing way. I've used them with uber high end 2 channel gear as well as the SR25, MacBook Air (brand new) etc.. and they just make music. They never lose their emotion. It's better and better when you give it the best signals. Layering is just spectacular. Yes, I LOVE the Odin's. Guilty and as much as I liked my Phantom's, they aren't in the same class. To me, the Odin beats it in every category other than cost (and Phantom is an excellent IEM). The bar has been set, that's for sure.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #24,680 of 40,559
Just got my BTR5 yesterday. Charged and paired within seconds. I love the fit and finish.

Barra, I couldn't agree more. So well put and thanks. I've been posting when I can about the Odin's. I'm just blown away by how great they are and how much more detail I'm getting, even with the SR25. I'm about to order the new AK SE200 as I don't want the huge 2000. I'm getting the Burson amps this week and will test it with that being fed by my SR25. These things scale in an amazing way. I've used them with uber high end 2 channel gear as well as the SR25, MacBook Air (brand new) etc.. and they just make music. They never lose their emotion. It's better and better when you give it the best signals. Layering is just spectacular. Yes, I LOVE the Odin's. Guilty and as much as I liked my Phantom's, they aren't in the same class. To me, the Odin beats it in every category other than cost (and Phantom is an excellent IEM). The bar has been set, that's for sure.

My SE200 just arrived and I am listening to it now via the AKM output with the Odin and off the bat I like it more than the DX220 w/Amp1 Mk2. Sound stage is clearly larger; both wider and deeper. Mids/Vocals on the Ibasso is denser but the presentation on the SE200 has just the right amount of weight and sounds more natural. Very good bottom end as well. Still early days but it's simply lovely with the Odin!

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #24,681 of 40,559
My SE200 just arrived and I am listening to it now via the AKM output with the Odin and off the bat I like it more than the DX220 w/Amp1 Mk2. Sound stage is clearly larger; both wider and deeper. Mids/Vocals on the Ibasso is denser but the presentation on the SE200 has just the right amount of weight and sounds more natural. Very good bottom end as well. Still early days but it's simply lovely with the Odin!
Thanks so much for the share. Great stuff. I wonder if Alex has done this comparison....hmmmm :wink:.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #24,683 of 40,559
Isn't that the reason people spend more and more on ever more insanely priced flagship IEMs? For another few percent here and there?

FWIW I firmly believe the transducers make a bigger difference than the source, but once you reach a certain point, even with transducers, the wall of diminishing returns hits hard and steep, so the extra $1000 from a $2000 IEM to a $3000 IEM is only buying you single digit improvements, if that. And it's mostly changes in tuning and tonality than actual technicalities.

So it's really up to you to decide how much you want to spend on "the last mile", and even then there'll always be something more expensive just around the corner.

My view on sources is this: find the DAP that has the best synergy with your IEMs - that makes your IEMs sound best to you. Differences between DAPs are fairly small, but there are differences. I just spent a few days testing the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch and Hifiman R2R2000 with my IEMs, comparing them to the HiBy R6 Pro, and preferred the HiBy almost every time, even though the more expensive DAPs were technically better. Synergy is everything, and the differences aren't night and day, despite what many would have you believe.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #24,684 of 40,559
Isn't that the reason people spend more and more on ever more insanely priced flagship IEMs? For another few percent here and there?

FWIW I firmly believe the transducers make a bigger difference than the source, but once you reach a certain point, even with transducers, the wall of diminishing returns hits hard and steep, so the extra $1000 from a $2000 IEM to a $3000 IEM is only buying you single digit improvements, if that. And it's mostly changes in tuning and tonality than actual technicalities.

So it's really up to you to decide how much you want to spend on "the last mile", and even then there'll always be something more expensive just around the corner.

My view on sources is this: find the DAP that has the best synergy with your IEMs - that makes your IEMs sound best to you. Differences between DAPs are fairly small, but there are differences. I just spent a few days testing the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch and Hifiman R2R2000 with my IEMs, comparing them to the HiBy R6 Pro, and preferred the HiBy almost every time, even though the more expensive DAPs were technically better. Synergy is everything, and the differences aren't night and day, despite what many would have you believe.
Yea but I spend the pretty penny on the IEM’s looking for the best sound reproduction first. Then I figure I’ll test them on other sources over time and find my best pairing. The Odin hits home with me so now it’s about enjoying them with what I have. I haven’t heard a pairing with them I don’t like so I’m not too concerned about it. I’m sure there’s plenty of DAPs out there that sounds better but I’ll hear them eventually.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #24,685 of 40,559
Small delay - my Odin should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing it and putting it up against my current IEMs.

Look forward to your thoughts against the Erlkonig :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back