Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #24,721 of 40,355
My trusty M11 Pro is doing just fine. The Lotoo S1 is nice for the Macbook Pro. The BTR5 is great for Bluetooth and portability. Realistically how much audio quality am I missing? That last 5% ?
I’ve been getting excited about buying and pairing up the Lotoo S1 with my MacBook Pro. At only $170 it has to be worth a try.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #24,722 of 40,355
When you’re referring to “shouty”, is it the same as sibilance?
No. There was no sibilance.
It's just a bit too much "on the face" kind of presentation. In other words, upper mid was forward and pop out from other FR.
But as I said, after 120+ hours, now the entire FR range sounds coherent and natural. YMMV

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #24,724 of 40,355
Not the first flagship product that is 'picky' with pairings, and won't be the last. The HD800 is a great example in the headphone world. Pair it with a bright, clinical source and say goodbye to your ears (unless you're some sort of sadistic treblehead or just enjoy the pain). But pair it with the right source, something warmer and more organic, or a smooth tube amp, and it's auditory bliss. The HD800 has survived a decade and is still considered one of the very best. Time will tell if Odin fares equally well.
Have you heard the Odin yet to conclude it is picky?

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #24,728 of 40,355
Technically he was just commenting on a post from an owner who said that it performed better with certain sources... Deducing that it was picky from their comments.
I see that now. That being said, @gLer do you have anything in the works to demo or purchase the Odin? I’d be very curious to see what you thought of it’s sound after hearing it for yourself.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #24,730 of 40,355
I see that now. That being said, @gLer do you have anything in the works to demo or purchase the Odin? I’d be very curious to see what you thought of it’s sound after hearing it for yourself.
I'm very keen to hear the Odin (and Hero for that matter). Right now I have to just live them vicariously through this community's experiences because I assume it'll be a while until I see them in my part of the world. I have been known to blind-buy before, but not at this end of the market.

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #24,731 of 40,355
6440B5C5-1974-4D77-A1C3-1AE3E0CCEEBF.jpeg

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #24,732 of 40,355
Only $149 if you buy from Musicteck between 9/5 and 9/7.

Edit: just noticed you're not in the US :frowning2: Maybe you could get a dealer near you to price match.
I’ve bought from Musicteck before and had stuff delivered to the UK. I also emailed Andrew at Musicteck to see if there are any issues on buying things during the sale and getting international delivery, and there shouldn’t be a problem. So...I might spend a little cash this weekend. 😀

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #24,733 of 40,355
I’ve bought from Musicteck before and had stuff delivered to the UK. I also emailed Andrew at Musicteck to see if there are any issues on buying things during the sale and getting international delivery, and there shouldn’t be a problem. So...I might spend a little cash this weekend. 😀
For what it's worth, I have never been disappointed in my S1. The thing is unbelievable for IEM's. I'd spend the money again if I lost or damaged it.

I'm in the process of finding a silicone sleeve or cover for it that won't take a month to get here from China!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #24,734 of 40,355

Users who are viewing this thread

Back