Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 22, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #17,403 of 40,561
I tested the Hong Kong limited Legend X SE today at PAF and almost pulled the trigger. And now there’s some thing new coming? Crazy world!

I wonder if there will ever be a superspecial european edition....
Relating to the audiophile universe i seem to live in the middle of nowhere... or to be clearer this is the a**hole of the world here.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #17,404 of 40,561
Do you know the difference between the Legend X and the S. E. version in sound quality? I'd like to hear more about it!!

Thanks!!

I don’t have enough experience with either the standard X or the SE. The wires inside SE are from Effect Audio. Some comments say the mids and highs are brought closer while the lows are tighter. I couldn’t tell the difference at the show, so I got the standard X. If there’s a difference, it must be very minor :) I also prefer the solid black shell :wink:

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #17,405 of 40,561
20190322_220157.jpg
6 months ago, I would have sworn I would not need anything other than the Zeus. And then I bought the Phantom. At this rate I expect to get an LX in another 6 months.

Empire is doing something very right if Im buying multiple flagships

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #17,406 of 40,561
''when wallet healthy , want becomes need''

- Yoda , SW 4

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #17,407 of 40,561

6 months ago, I would have sworn I would not need anything other than the Zeus. And then I bought the Phantom. At this rate I expect to get an LX in another 6 months.

Empire is doing something very right if Im buying multiple flagships
How would you compare the Phantom to the Zeus ? I have the XRA Adel version and love the open sound field yet to hear anything else close except the Hifiman HEKse which is my new favorite open back over ear headphone.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #17,408 of 40,561
You can hear the aspects of the Zeus in the Phantom. But at the end of the day its a different animal.

The Zeus's mid and treble. are exceptional and the air and sparkle it brings simply are unmatched. At the risk of holes in the sound stage because of its vastness, and maybe just too much sparkle as well on certain tracks. Not so much in the fun category, but everything just sounds good.

The Phantom's most particular feature is the bass by far the most quality BA bass I have heard. Essentially it's the bass I wish Zeus had. The Mids and Treble don't have the air and sparkle the Zeus packs and a silver cable would definitely give it that. But at the same the timbre is top-notch.

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #17,409 of 40,561
Phantom has a lot of mids timbre, bass is not overwhelming, trebles not as apparent. With the Zeus (at least my non-Adel) all the fun openness stuff happening in the mids and upper end gets shifted to the timbre-filled mids with the Phantom. The Phantom is not nearly as transparent. Fun, but very different. I didn't like how vocals got thicker, especially. I sold my Phantom after a few months.

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #17,410 of 40,561
Phantom has a lot of mids timbre, bass is not overwhelming, trebles not as apparent. With the Zeus (at least my non-Adel) all the fun openness stuff happening in the mids and upper end gets shifted to the timbre-filled mids with the Phantom. The Phantom is not nearly as transparent. Fun, but very different. I didn't like how vocals got thicker, especially. I sold my Phantom after a few months.
Yea..you didn't keep the Phantom long. I regret selling my Zeus sometimes, but I do enjoy the Legend X which you gave about 15 seconds because of the bass.

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #17,412 of 40,561
I have never had a chance to listen to Zeus and Legend X but love my Phantoms that wake me up sometimes in the middle of the night with all my favorite songs. Let’s try to possibly listen to Legend X and Zeus if I get a chance at CanJam SoCal in Irvine. :wink:
I would recommend trying both.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #17,414 of 40,561
Mar 25, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #17,415 of 40,561
I have never had a chance to listen to Zeus and Legend X but love my Phantoms that wake me up sometimes in the middle of the night with all my favorite songs. Let’s try to possibly listen to Legend X and Zeus if I get a chance at CanJam SoCal in Irvine. :wink:

Honestly, all three are very deserving of TOTL status - and different enough where it wouldn't be weird to own more than one. Personally, the Phantoms were my least favorite of the three, but I could definitely see how it would be someone else's favorite. Bit of a shame that Zeus seems phased out at this time though - Effect Audio Arthur is still available for purchase, but it's also $3800...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back