Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #16,981 of 40,587
I agree completely - they are great tips, and really improved my Hermes VIs too. As good as they were though - best IEMs I’d owned up until recently, the Legends are simply next-level amazing! Already planning my next DAP upgrade for next year! I’ve only been using my Hiby R6 for 6-7 months. This is becoming an addiction...

i am using ak se100, which simply is amazing with legend x

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #16,982 of 40,587
i am using ak se100, which simply is amazing with legend x

I went to try the AK SE100 with my Hermes the other day, I was just listening to an intro to a song and I was like... I guess this is my next DAP.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #16,984 of 40,587
It could be my next DAP too - considering it’s performance, and synergy with the Legend X! Do you know if A&K have Black Friday deals, like some other vendors?

i think they mentioned some deals today

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #16,988 of 40,587
In case there’s anyone out there who has heard a combination of the following DAPs. Baring in mind I would be using the DAP with EE Legend X, which would be the optimum choice out of;

A&K SE100
Opus 2
Sony NW-WM1A

I’ve read great things about all of them, but am also considering synergy with the IEMs as well. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #16,989 of 40,587
I forgot to mention, I’m a Qobuz Sublime+ subscriber - so Hi-Res streaming and offline capability. Unfortunately, as good as those DAPs are, I’m not aware that any of them would provide this functionality? If not, is there anything else that would do so and offer comparable sound quality/synergy with Legend X?

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #16,990 of 40,587
@thedanadamsusa

If you're willing to switch to Tidal Hi Fi, DX200 with the Lurker fw is a great option for lossless offline. You can swap amps plus a few digital filters in the DAP for a good range of flavors

Amp9 coming with Korg tube tech sounds fun with the LX. Stock amp1 is super neutral from memory if that's what you're going for

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #16,991 of 40,587
Indulge yourself onto trying your Legend X on the Hifiman R2R2000 in HiFi mode if you ever get the chance.

Dec 15, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #16,992 of 40,587
@thedanadamsusa

If you're willing to switch to Tidal Hi Fi, DX200 with the Lurker fw is a great option for lossless offline. You can swap amps plus a few digital filters in the DAP for a good range of flavors

Amp9 coming with Korg tube tech sounds fun with the LX. Stock amp1 is super neutral from memory if that's what you're going for
Thanks for your suggestion: much appreciated. But if I’m honest, I’ve tried Tidal, and although it’s a good service it’s not for me. Qobuz Sublime+ by comparison - IMO, is vastly superior as a complete offering. You can stream in Hi-Res, utilise offline mode, and get significant discounts on music you want to purchase - 30-50% on the majority of their catalogue. Which has a lot of classical and jazz, as well as many other genres. I buy 25-30 albums minimum per annum. As a result, the discounts basically cover the annual cost of the subscription: it’s a no-brainer. AFAIK, Tidal doesn’t have the buying discounts.

Dec 15, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #16,994 of 40,587
In case there’s anyone out there who has heard a combination of the following DAPs. Baring in mind I would be using the DAP with EE Legend X, which would be the optimum choice out of;

A&K SE100
Opus 2
Sony NW-WM1A

I’ve read great things about all of them, but am also considering synergy with the IEMs as well. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I've had the wm1a for about 8 months and 3 months with the legend x. Awesome pairing. I sold wm1a for the se100 and I'm not looking back. It is an awesome pairing with the legend x as well. Now, wm1a I was listening to it balanced with janus d and with the se100 I switched back to the stock cable which is SE so I can only tell you whether or not they sounded good and yes they were both amazing.

I prefer the battery on sony wm1a but everything else I prefer the se100. I liked the se100 so much I upgraded to the sp1000. But when it comes down to it I think either one will pair great with the legend x.

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #16,995 of 40,587
I've had the wm1a for about 8 months and 3 months with the legend x. Awesome pairing. I sold wm1a for the se100 and I'm not looking back. It is an awesome pairing with the legend x as well. Now, wm1a I was listening to it balanced with janus d and with the se100 I switched back to the stock cable which is SE so I can only tell you whether or not they sounded good and yes they were both amazing.

I prefer the battery on sony wm1a but everything else I prefer the se100. I liked the se100 so much I upgraded to the sp1000. But when it comes down to it I think either one will pair great with the legend x.
Thanks man, really good to know! I think of the three options the SE100 could be the best choice - although I have heard some phenomenal things about Opus 2 sq. MusicTek have them for $999 right now, which is a steal! I need to reconcile not being able to use Qobuz with any of these DAPs though - which is a BIG ask for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back