Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 17, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #17,012 of 40,587
UI- Yup, Chinese OEMs still haven't figured out how to make an Android DAP functionally not riddled with bugs. My impression is that AK is the only OEM out there with Android that's not a steaming pile of garbage.

Also: Quick Charge!

The WM1A takes 7 hours to charge for ~30 hours battery
N5iiS takes 4 hours to charge for ~12 hours battery
Se100 takes 2 hours to charge for ~12 hours battery

:p you got past the hissing with Phantom?

I did by buying the sp1000 :ksc75smile:. But that one hisses just the same. Luckily most of my music is a little bit louder so its not an issue. For those few quiet albums I picked up an iematch and it is a great tool.

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #17,013 of 40,587
I did by buying the sp1000 :ksc75smile:. But that one hisses just the same. Luckily most of my music is a little bit louder so its not an issue. For those few quiet albums I picked up an iematch and it is a great tool.
IEMatch?! Halloween must have come late this year :p

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #17,014 of 40,587
Hey @Devon Higgins

Is the Massdrop Zeus shell shaped like the current X/EP series models, the older Zeus/Spartan IV, the Effect Audio collaborations (Merlin/Arthur), or is it something else entirely? While I’ve heard the Zeus XR before and thought it was a fantastic IEM, as someone who has trouble with getting a proper fit, it’s a bit tricky to order something I haven’t physically tried!

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #17,015 of 40,587
Hey @Devon Higgins

Is the Massdrop Zeus shell shaped like the current X/EP series models, the older Zeus/Spartan IV, the Effect Audio collaborations (Merlin/Arthur), or is it something else entirely? While I’ve heard the Zeus XR before and thought it was a fantastic IEM, as someone who has trouble with getting a proper fit, it’s a bit tricky to order something I haven’t physically tried!
They've commented on here before. The Massdrop shell is differently shaped than the normal Empire shape.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #17,016 of 40,587
Hey @Devon Higgins

If you check the discussion section on the mass drop website, you'll find a post from Jack Vang regarding addressing some questions regarding the Massdrop Zeus, including the shell

<<In regards to the shell, it is no longer hand-poured acrylic. ABS is more durable than acrylic, reduces return rates, and the faceplates/shells can be made more efficiently to help reach the price point. Driver/crossover assembly, final assembly and testing, lacquer plus hand-polishing is all completed in our North Atlanta facility ensuring that every Zeus is built to the same standards as every other Empire IEM. Holding these in our hand, side-by-side with the hand-pour…we know you will be happy with the looks and feel of what we are making for you.>>

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-empire-ears-zeus-universal-iems/talk#discussions

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #17,017 of 40,587
If you check the discussion section on the mass drop website, you'll find a post from Jack Vang regarding addressing some questions regarding the Massdrop Zeus, including the shell

<<In regards to the shell, it is no longer hand-poured acrylic. ABS is more durable than acrylic, reduces return rates, and the faceplates/shells can be made more efficiently to help reach the price point. Driver/crossover assembly, final assembly and testing, lacquer plus hand-polishing is all completed in our North Atlanta facility ensuring that every Zeus is built to the same standards as every other Empire IEM. Holding these in our hand, side-by-side with the hand-pour…we know you will be happy with the looks and feel of what we are making for you.>>

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-empire-ears-zeus-universal-iems/talk#discussions

I did see that, but my concerns had more to do with shape/fit than durability. Since I’m able to try the other models in store, I just wanted a frame of reference.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #17,019 of 40,587
Hey folks,

As I'm doing things for Noble now, you'll see me around EE's home on head-fi less often but you'll certainly get an update when my Spartan IVs come in.

Huge props to @Jack Vang , @Devon Higgins , and the rest of the EE team for their fantastic customer service. I'm so excited!

Thanks for all the fish!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #17,020 of 40,587
Hey @Devon Higgins

The Massdrop shell was designed entirely from the ground up (not using one of our previous housings as a template, etc.) but I'd say it is *most* similar to the EA Merlin/Arthur shell. Again, there will be differences between the two and I don't have a MD sample on hand to make any direct comparisons, but that's about as helpful as I can be on that front.. :)

Hey folks,

As I'm doing things for Noble now, you'll see me around EE's home on head-fi less often but you'll certainly get an update when my Spartan IVs come in.

Huge props to @Jack Vang , @Devon Higgins , and the rest of the EE team for their fantastic customer service. I'm so excited!

Thanks for all the fish!

Congrats Sebastien!!! :star2: So excited for you and you're always welcome to hang with Team Empire :)

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #17,021 of 40,587
@Devon Higgins i must say that i like how you seem genuinely interested and willing to help in this community , maybe i am wrong (but probably not, as i am a very good judge of characters) but you seem really happy and eager to help , and not just showing off some faux salesman's happy face

also kudos to @Jack Vang for not being arrogant/overhyping his products/trying to convince people to buy his products , as i have seen some other ceo repeatedly doing in his company's thread (no names needed , smart people will dot the i's and cross the t's)

the again , some people have faith in their products so no need to show arrogance/insecurity , right ?

cheers

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #17,022 of 40,587
Got the Supra-II and Bravado and I thought they were well worth the price.

Campfire is similar too. Good value for what you get. EE’s fit and isolation are much better though. Great customer service as well :)

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #17,023 of 40,587
I thought I’d post a pic of my Bravado + XDP300R. It’s a sexy combination aesthetically and sonically :wink:

A2609E85-6FA1-4033-B35F-9683835E50B6.jpeg

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #17,024 of 40,587
Hopefully I'll be able to post a snazzy picture of my Zeus and Leo II with a new DAP in a couple of days.

The Cayin N5ii/S thread is not impressing me in terms of the UX, but it does run Sabre's and supposingly doesnt hiss.

SE100, is something Ive been drooling at, but reports on hissing on Phantom are worrying me.

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #17,025 of 40,587
Hopefully I'll be able to post a snazzy picture of my Zeus and Leo II with a new DAP in a couple of days.

The Cayin N5ii/S thread is not impressing me in terms of the UX, but it does run Sabre's and supposingly doesnt hiss.

SE100, is something Ive been drooling at, but reports on hissing on Phantom are worrying me.

The N5ii is a very good DAP if you consider TIDAL offline, SQ and small form factor + the awesome volume scroll.

UX is atrocious though. Just download and shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back