Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 3, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #16,937 of 40,826
You won’t regret when you are pairing up Ares II (4wire or 8wire) with Spartans. What is your source or DAP?

Fantastic. I figured they would be a great fit and bring the lower end out a bit more. I got the four wire.

Shanling M0 for my DAP and DF Red for my source. On a college student budget and a lucky one at that!

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #16,939 of 40,826
I have been listening to the phantoms paired with the 1Z and Effect Audio Horus cable. It got me wondering if there’s a cable and closed back headphone combination that matches with the sound of the phantom and Horus?

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #16,940 of 40,826
The Phantom is today's review over at Headfonia:

https://www.headfonia.com/review-empire-ears-phantom/

empire-ears-phantom-4.jpg

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #16,941 of 40,826
The Phantom is today's review over at Headfonia:

https://www.headfonia.com/review-empire-ears-phantom/

great review - very detailed and very honest , and tons of comparisons = i feel like i know how Phantom sounds and whether it's my cup of tea

most important , you mention Phantom's flaws/shortcomings - I have seen reviews from a certain reviewer (I won't name him for obvious reasons) where everything he reviews is always fantastic/excellent/the best , to me this is not actual review ethos - maybe he feels obliged to all those review samples he gets for free ? dunno.

Keep up the great work :):):):)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #16,943 of 40,826
great review - very detailed and very honest , and tons of comparisons = i feel like i know how Phantom sounds and whether it's my cup of tea

most imprtant , you mention Phantom's flaws/shortcomings - I have seen reviews from a certain reviewer (I won't name him for obvious reasons) where everything he reviews is always fantastic/excellent/the best , to me this is not actual review ethos - maybe he feels obliged to all those review samples he gets ? dunno.

Keep up the great work :):):):)

Many thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm happy I could help you with the review.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #16,945 of 40,826
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #16,946 of 40,826
My Lionheart (4w) just arrived (thanx again @vilhelm44 you are the man ) , and i like what i am hearing with my Zeus XR

Will be back with more thorough impressions , as i only plugged them 5 minutes ago , but first impressions are definitely very posiive

Thanx to @Deezel177 and @KuroKitsu and everyone else who took the time to answer to my pms/questions about them

I will probably do an A/B with Ares II (8w) later on

ps : Zeus rocks.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #16,947 of 40,826
My Lionheart (4w) just arrived (thanx again @vilhelm44 you are the man ) , and i like what i am hearing with my Zeus XR

Will be back with more thorough impressions , as i only plugged them 5 minutes ago , but first impressions are definitely very posiive

Thanx to @Deezel177 and @KuroKitsu and everyone else who took the time to answer to my pms/questions about them

I will probably do an A/B with Ares II (8w) later on

ps : Zeus rocks.
Zeus does rock and I miss it greatly

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #16,948 of 40,826
Zeus does rock and I miss it greatly

why did you sell it ? i see you got Legend so it must be OK :L3000:

i am thinking of selling my NT6 , it sits there gathering dust since Zeus came aroundm but i just keep it as backup in case something happens to Zeus

first comparisons between LH/Ares - Ares has bigger soundstage and more bass but LH seems like the most balanced cable and fills mids nicely - and i don't hear any highs roll-off with LH so i am good for now

the best thing about Zeus , no need to buy a 1K cable to make it sound good , which is a huge plus for me

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #16,949 of 40,826
why did you sell it ? i see you got Legend so it must be OK :L3000:

i am thinking of selling my NT6 , it sits there gathering dust since Zeus came aroundm but i just keep it as backup in case something happens to Zeus

first comparisons between LH/Ares - Ares has bigger soundstage and more bass but LH seems like the most balanced cable and fills mids nicely - and i don't hear any highs roll-off with LH so i am good for now

the best thing about Zeus , no need to buy a 1K cable to make it sound good , which is a huge plus for me

I sold it because at the time I needed to fund reviews, and as we all know this TOTL stuff is expensive. The best thing about the TOTL stuff is none of it sucks or sounds bad, it comes down to the signature only and the differences in the signature, very subjective. I know many folks that think the Zeus is thin sounding, and while it isn't warm, it certainly doesn't have non-existent bass, it has great quality over quantity. The clarity and transparency of the Zeus is super tough to beat.

To me, it is really difficult to justify spending more than $500 on cables, but that is my personal preference only.

Edit: I forgot to mention and with the XR it's like getting two IEMs in one, can't beat that.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #16,950 of 40,826
@Gavin C4
Yuppppp, one upped by that DAP though. I did ask Deezel whether Leo II was a good match with Zeus and he said (paraphrasing) only if you want Zeus to be more Zeusy. Figured I give it a try since I was waiting potentially another 2 weeks for Janus D as Musicteck had sold out on BF. Worse case I go back to my Exo Tri Copper and saved Leo II for Phantom. A bit cheaper and more ergonomic too.

From the first song I queued up, I already fell in love with this pairing. Leo II is the endgame silver cable I've been looking for all this time. Retaining that signature mid as well as that shimmer in the trebles, quality bass with sub extension and not overwhelming impact all the time.

The question is now, Palladium wired IEMs when? The next Empire TOTL? :p

@proedros
Glad to hear you're liking the Lionheart, its much more ergonomic to use too compared to 8 wires. Balanced really does make a difference, going from a SE Lionheart, it improved infinitely more on its strengths. I never really pushed it myself but I never hear a roll off in the highs with the Zeus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back