Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 30, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #16,907 of 40,731
While I don’t doubt for a second this is a fabulous cable, it’s also spectacularly expensive!

Sure is. I didn’t pay MSRP for it though. I saved a great deal of money. That being said I did get to audition it before the purchase so I fully know what I am getting. I’d never blind buy a cable that expensive.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #16,910 of 40,731
That is called addiction. When I was in the college 20 years ago I didn’t pay attention to this hobby but big rigs of high end systems and couldn’t touch them b/c out of budget. :nerd:

Indeed it is an addiction...

Hi, my name is David and I am an addict :wink:

God, grant me the serenity not to buy the audio gear I cannot buy,
Courage to buy what I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Well, I am not wise... even if I earn a decent living it's still totally unreasonable and friends think I am crazy...

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #16,911 of 40,731
I'm legitimately curious A to what y'all do for a living to be able to afford the high high end stuff.

Being in college, I had to put money aside for a few months to be able to save up for my first custom I orders on black Friday.

NONE of my friends even own equipment above $100. Then again, they don't know what they are missing out on.

And yes...I already know I'm crazy about what's in my ears too.
Software Developer. But I live with my parents (housing market here has gone nuts), bascially after expenses i can put away half my take home each month.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #16,912 of 40,731

Well, I am not wise... even if I earn a decent living it's still totally unreasonable and friends think I am crazy...

Bet they have hobbies that you think it's nuts to spend ££$$ on though right? The person who swops out a new tv every year, or someone who upgrades a pc, or a new car or, or, or.... I'm in the position where I can afford pretty much what I want (within reason, I don't see myself dropping the $$ for a zeus or phantom or legend x etc any time soon), but I have to justify it too myself.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #16,913 of 40,731

I'm with you on that one. I tell myself since I'm doing well I can spend it on this stuff but I think if I was smart then I'd be doing something else with it.. i don't tell most people my hobby except maybe my brothers and gf.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #16,914 of 40,731
I'm legitimately curious A to what y'all do for a living to be able to afford the high high end stuff.

Being in college, I had to put money aside for a few months to be able to save up for my first custom I orders on black Friday.

NONE of my friends even own equipment above $100. Then again, they don't know what they are missing out on.

And yes...I already know I'm crazy about what's in my ears too.

When I was in college I had a pair of $100 shures. To me and others that was crazy. But time goes on and hopefully you'll make more money and you jump deeper in this hobby. Btw i never looked at this website until I've grown up a bit. If i had known about it early on I might have been in a bit of trouble.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #16,915 of 40,731
I’m not familiar with the cv5 at all. Do you have anymore insights into what you like so much about it with the LX?

Yes, I'm not the greatest at describing, nonetheless the texture has been the biggest improvement in all frequencies. Added warmth among the frequency spectrum. Also anything deep down low is going to be amazingly detailed. I have the se100 which has a lot of power, but the cv5 feels like it powers the LX the way it was designed to be powered. No hiss btw which is big for me. Unfortunately the solaris hisses too much out of the cv5 for me.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #16,916 of 40,731
Yes, I'm not the greatest at describing, nonetheless the texture has been the biggest improvement in all frequencies. Added warmth among the frequency spectrum. Also anything deep down low is going to be amazingly detailed. I have the se100 which has a lot of power, but the cv5 feels like it powers the LX the way it was designed to be powered. No hiss btw which is big for me. Unfortunately the solaris hisses too much out of the cv5 for me.
The SE100... HISSES?! REEEEEEE

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #16,917 of 40,731
The SE100... HISSES?! REEEEEEE

Yes with solaris and phantom out of balanced. It's rather annoying to me. No hiss se100 to LX though. Solaris is very doable and it won't bother you when music plays. But with phantom it hisses and classical music in the quiet passages its pretty noticible. Btw solaris SE no hiss, haven't tried the phantom SE.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #16,918 of 40,731
Yes with solaris and phantom out of balanced. It's rather annoying to me. No hiss se100 to LX though. Solaris is very doable and it won't bother you when music plays. But with phantom it hisses and classical music in the quiet passages its pretty noticible. Btw solaris SE no hiss, haven't tried the phantom SE.
That is annoying... I had my eye on it for the Sabre DAC and after I started terminating my cables in 2.5mm. If it hisses with Phantom, it might with Zeus too.....

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #16,919 of 40,731
That is annoying... I had my eye on it for the Sabre DAC and after I started terminating my cables in 2.5mm. If it hisses with Phantom, it might with Zeus too.....

It is honestly an amazing sounding device, but now I have to see if the sp1000 hisses or not. On 2.5 I only have the phantom about 20 clicks of volume so its a pretty powerful device .

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #16,920 of 40,731
It is honestly an amazing sounding device, but now I have to see if the sp1000 hisses or not. On 2.5 I only have the phantom about 20 clicks of volume so its a pretty powerful device .
I'll have to test it out myself, worse case I'll save myself 2/3rd the price of a Se100 and get the Cayin N5iis.

Was going to suggest maybe the OI of Phantom and Se100 was not a good match, but looking at the specs, its SE where the OI is a bit high for the Phantom and not BAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back