Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #16,096 of 40,679
I never considered a dac, didn't like the fact that I would either have a dead DAC and phone or have to lug around a phone and a dead dac and a transport. Getting a DAP at worse is an extra device and leaves my phone alive.

Yeah I've seen Proedros's comment. Ive previously was able to try the wm1a with some less sensitive IEMs and the sound didnt really grow on me. Plus 1500 Cdn price tag gives me a lot of options (That sadly trying to demo said options is pain.

I'm not sure either, it just seems that a lot of the OEMs dont have Canadian Distributors which is a real pain. IIRC Shanling just recently selling directly in Canada this year. There are some brick & mortars that sell online but very sparse.

Didnt you know canada on in native indian means village. So dont expect us canadians to get all those goodys.
We are living in the lost north pole of the planet.

Thank god I can drive to the south so often.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #16,097 of 40,679
It's not the cost of the DAP it's the impedance of it and of the Zeus. LPG hisses with it, so I'm told. No problem with my Astell SP1000. The Zeus is really easy to drive, much less volume needed than either Phantom or UERM. It comes down to how the DAP and the IEM pair up.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #16,098 of 40,679
It's not the cost of the DAP it's the impedance of it and of the Zeus. LPG hisses with it, so I'm told. No problem with my Astell SP1000. The Zeus is really easy to drive, much less volume needed than either Phantom or UERM. It comes down to how the DAP and the IEM pair up.

Now that is some bad news :frowning2:
Which year was it? 2017 or the first generation?

Spec wise on paper lpgt seems to be freakin good and compeling.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #16,099 of 40,679
Didnt you know canada on in native indian means village. So dont expect us canadians to get all those goodys.
We are living in the lost north pole of the planet.

Thank god I can drive to the south so often.
LMAO I thought it was Turtle Island or something like that. That might explain the speed that we get goodies from. It's not that we won't get them, we just get ripped off. Ex. Bhphotovideo retails the Pelnue R for ~ 550 Cdn w/ free shipping to Canada. Amazon.ca has it for ~1k Cdn not including shipping.

There's some rather complex stuff involving noise floors and sensitivity involved in whether an IEM would hiss, but it seems that the SNR given by OEMs is next to useless. So it's highly possible a 1k+ DAP could make Zeus hiss. But I do agree that it's not necessarily the cost of the DAP that results in hissing. But it I'm paying a premium for something I expect it to work period.

IE. Opus 1s, impedance is perfect for the Zeus. Hisses like no tomorrow even in low gain
With the X1A, Zeus has no hissing regardless of gain setting and volume level (I have it on low gain 2 and volume set to 115/160 steps usually).

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #16,100 of 40,679
For phantom, ive tried dx200 amp1&4, wm1a, lpgt, dp-x1, m0 and all hisses. But for dp-x1 its just faintly. I do listen to very low volume (wm1a bal @ volume 8-12) thus could be reason why hiss is more apparent to me. But most of it while music is playing its not that noticeable (slow, soft still able to hear hiss)

Currently in love with phantom and wm1a pairing, that acoustics feel. lpgt pairing is another that i like as it brings out the emotions, but that price....

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #16,101 of 40,679
For phantom, ive tried dx200 amp1&4, wm1a, lpgt, dp-x1, m0 and all hisses. But for dp-x1 its just faintly. I do listen to very low volume (wm1a bal @ volume 8-12) thus could be reason why hiss is more apparent to me. But most of it while music is playing its not that noticeable (slow, soft still able to hear hiss)

Currently in love with phantom and wm1a pairing, that acoustics feel. lpgt pairing is another that i like as it brings out the emotions, but that price....

Waiit yoy tried lpgt? Where did you trie it...
Its not even released what a shame how bad does it hiss?
Other folk dont say to hear any hiss with phantom and dx200 or w1a or w1z.
I do with dx200, also no hiss with hugo2 or my previously owned hdv...

This hiss is actually an issue, phantom can show details bellow that hissing and thats where the problems starts for me :frowning2:

How bad is the hiss with lpgt and do you think it sound better then hugo2?

You shattered my world lpgt is hissing dang it.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #16,102 of 40,679
I never considered a dac, didn't like the fact that I would either have a dead DAC and phone or have to lug around a phone and a dead dac and a transport. Getting a DAP at worse is an extra device and leaves my phone alive.

Yeah I've seen Proedros's comment. Ive previously was able to try the wm1a with some less sensitive IEMs and the sound didnt really grow on me. Plus 1500 Cdn price tag gives me a lot of options (That sadly trying to demo said options is pain.

I'm not sure either, it just seems that a lot of the OEMs dont have Canadian Distributors which is a real pain. IIRC Shanling just recently selling directly in Canada this year. There are some brick & mortars that sell online but very sparse.
Had not thought of Shanling, they should be announcing an M5 replacement soon. Might be a lower cost alternative.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #16,103 of 40,679
Waiit yoy tried lpgt? Where did you trie it...
Its not even released what a shame how bad does it hiss?
Other folk dont say to hear any hiss with phantom and dx200 or w1a or w1z.
I do with dx200, also no hiss with hugo2 or my previously owned hdv...

This hiss is actually an issue, phantom can show details bellow that hissing and thats where the problems starts for me :frowning2:

How bad is the hiss with lpgt and do you think it sound better then hugo2?

You shattered my world lpgt is hissing dang it.

LOLOLOL a 3k DAP that hisses. I'm roaring with laughter over here.

I find it odd that the wm1a doesn't hiss with Zeus, but does with the Phantoms, must be all that ectoplasm :p

If you find yourself in downtown Toronto, check out Bay Bloor Radio, they sell the Wm1a, but you might have to call ahead to see if they have stock. They should let you demo it no problems.

Had not thought of Shanling, they should be announcing an M5 replacement soon. Might be a lower cost alternative.
I'll keep an eye out for that. The M0 impressed me at that price point.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #16,105 of 40,679
Just my two cents, Phantoms are dead silent with the SP1000 if anyone is considering.
Only if you want to sell your kidney and give me the proceeds.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #16,108 of 40,679
You guys are talking about hissing with Phantoms and LegendX with most of the DAPs including DX200 and DX200TI (?) except other EE UIEMs and CIEMs including Spartans. I am thinking about saving the money not to get the Phantoms soon...:frowning2:
Well if you sell your kidney you should be able to afford at least the Phantoms and a SP1000 :p

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #16,110 of 40,679
Only if you want to sell your kidney and give me the proceeds.

AKs generally perform well in terms of anti-hiss, but the drawback is their relative lack of power compared to other DAPs - which, by the way, has been the age-old compromise; power or hiss with sensitive IEMs. The SR15 and the SE100 should be worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back