Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 17, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #16,066 of 40,731
But......

And there we have it, dongles are bad

Nope, dead blissfull silence. I can also confirm that the X1A is dead silent with the Zeus too
Yes Iematch does change the sound, but the the dongle doesn't as there is nothing inside it to change to sound, iematch has some type of chip inside to reduce the hiss and some how changed the sound

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #16,067 of 40,731
Yes Iematch does change the sound, but the the dongle doesn't as there is nothing inside it to change to sound, iematch has some type of chip inside to reduce the hiss and some how changed the sound

Do you still uae w1a as a dap? Or you found a better one? I think you tried so many of them by far hehe.
What you think of the lotoo paw gold touch that is coming soon? Or the Cayin N8

It is true that a high quality dongle wont change sound though you do change some degree of cable synergies.

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #16,068 of 40,731

I have both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm IEMatch and they sound underwhelming with all my IEMs except some weird insanely good combo with my Orions. Tried both gain settings and all three gain settings on my N5ii and still no go with the other ones. I even have the IEM Buddy which is the inferior version (bought it to get free shipping with some CA tips haha).

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #16,069 of 40,731
Do you still uae w1a as a dap? Or you found a better one? I think you tried so many of them by far hehe.
What you think of the lotoo paw gold touch that is coming soon? Or the Cayin N8

It is true that a high quality dongle wont change sound though you do change some degree of cable synergies.
I had tried all or most of the high end dap, but havent those 2 yet as it not out, when i say this many will disagree with me, I did make some dongle and used different wires, and also solder, one is with cardas solder and one with mundorf gold and silver solder and boy I can hear the different, the one with mundorf sounded cleaner and also louder, both of this dongle used the same cable, same dap and iem

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #16,070 of 40,731
I had tried all or most of the high end dap, but havent those 2 yet as it not out, when i say this many will disagree with me, I did make some dongle and used different wires, and also solder, one is with cardas solder and one with mundorf gold and silver solder and boy I can hear the different, the one with mundorf sounded cleaner and also louder, both of this dongle used the same cable, same dap and iem

I think mundorf solder is whats used in ee iems :)

I am concidering the lotoo paw gold touche it seems to pack a hell of a spec wise dap. Left to know if it hiss and sounds good lol for 3k haha...

Do you still make dongles for friends :)

I still havent purchased any yet. I want those that would stay neutral and uncolour the sound. 4.4 to 3.5 unbalanced and 4.4 to 2.5 balanced.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #16,071 of 40,731
Just a little personal update on the ESRs.. I think my brain and the ESRs have finally reached a synergy and the ESRs sound fantastic. Did they burn in, did my brain burn in ... these are airy and spacious, accurate and tonally sweet. I was listening to Daigo Hanada's "Ichiru" tonight and there's a track that has a couple creaks of the chair that were so convincing I stopped and took the ESRs out to see if the dogs were getting into something upstairs.. nope it was in the recording.. The odd thing was that it was so locally placed different from the piano music and had a sharpness and presence that made it seem like it couldn't be part of the recording.. I love it when audio gear is so convincing that it plays these tricks on the mind.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #16,072 of 40,731
Yeah I know, my Spartans were the reason I went on a DAP buying journey. Im a little bit odd, I want a neutral source, 10+ hour battery life and doesnt hiss. That took me $300 to $800. I have no desire to ever involve an IEMatch ever so Im shopping for a replacement for the future. Needless to say Im having a hard time.

used wm1a

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #16,073 of 40,731
besides @olddude (who has been very helpful , kudos man) anyone else here pairing his Zeus XR with the ares ii 8-wire ?
Since I got my Ares II 8 wire (upgraded 'old' 4-wire) over a week ago, I've been totally Phantomized (which means that I can't eat, sleep or breath without listening to it) again.
20180917_112101.jpg

Such an amazing pairing and I'm pretty sure (although I still haven't tried that for myself so far) that it will also match very nicely with the Zeus XR.
Wonderful cable and highly recommended over the 4-wire. I think you would like it to, and it will clearly deliver a different signature compared to your (more 'silverlike' sounding) Eos.

Before the Ares II 8W I had the 4W, Eos and two Norne Silver cables on it. But, to my ears, none of these were able to capture that 'beautiful analogue soul' of the Phantom, the way this cable does :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #16,076 of 40,731
I think mundorf solder is whats used in ee iems :)

I am concidering the lotoo paw gold touche it seems to pack a hell of a spec wise dap. Left to know if it hiss and sounds good lol for 3k haha...

Do you still make dongles for friends :)

I still havent purchased any yet. I want those that would stay neutral and uncolour the sound. 4.4 to 3.5 unbalanced and 4.4 to 2.5 balanced.

EE use Cardas eutectic solder for their IEMs and Effect Audio internal wiring for their DDs.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #16,077 of 40,731
EE use Cardas eutectic solder for their IEMs and Effect Audio internal wiring for their DDs.

Heres a quote to quote from ee site under phantom description it clearly mentions silver and gold mundorf solder.

Maximum Signal Transfer: Every driver and crossover is individually wired and insulated with 7-strand, UPOCC Litz wires to eliminate acoustic feedback and further soldered with highly conductive, ultra pure silver and gold Mundorf Supreme for maximum signal transfer.

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #16,078 of 40,731
Heres a quote to quote from ee site under phantom description it clearly mentions silver and gold mundorf solder.

Maximum Signal Transfer: Every driver and crossover is individually wired and insulated with 7-strand, UPOCC Litz wires to eliminate acoustic feedback and further soldered with highly conductive, ultra pure silver and gold Mundorf Supreme for maximum signal transfer.

Oh, I see they’ve changed it from their Olympus Series days. I stand corrected. :D

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #16,079 of 40,731
Oh, I see they’ve changed it from their Olympus Series days. I stand corrected. :D
How much of a difference in sound? *Suspicious stare at Zeus*

Speaking of 3K DAPs and not hissing. If you make a 3K DAP and it hisses with the Zeus thats grounds for elimination by Terminator. That said a DAP above 1k is grounds for death sentence in my book anyways *Glares at Wm1a*

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #16,080 of 40,731
How much of a difference in sound? *Suspicious stare at Zeus*

Speaking of 3K DAPs and not hissing. If you make a 3K DAP and it hisses with the Zeus thats grounds for elimination by Terminator. That said a DAP above 1k is grounds for death sentence in my book anyways *Glares at Wm1a*

Phantom is enouf good that I keep my statement it wins over Zeus :)

If you buy a 3k dap the only and one you need is lotoo pawn gold touch.
And if it hisses i'l throw it outa my truck window on highway while driving lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back