Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #15,241 of 40,573
Can you compare the LX andy U18? Thinking about trading my LX for U18 because I want something more fun and a much bigger soundstage. I wish the soundstage of the LX was a little bigger admit listening to it, makes you feel like you’re very close. Kind of fatiguing to listen to, but I’m being overly critical. The LX is legendary (no pun attended)

u18t has bigger soundstage because of its air duct, but not dynamic and full-size sound iem like LX. I strongly recommend to listen u18t before you make a decision.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #15,242 of 40,573
I just sent the ESR to the second person on the review tour. Very fine product. Loads of detail and very even across the frequency range. Bass is fast , goes crazy deep and has tons of texture - it does not have. A lot of slam but it is a ba. mids are very present and forward , male and female voices are very nice with plenty of body and height. And the highs go way up without being harsh or sibilant. Stage is very wide, has nice depth and s the tallest I have listened too. Ran it into the dx208 and was an excellent pairing with the extra bottom end of the amp8. Hated to send them on, but now have a itch for the phantom.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #15,243 of 40,573
I don't think u18t is not the best all-rounder. I have used it for over 7 months and made conclusion that it focus on mid-high frequencies. It is good on pop and string quartet, but bad for rock and metal.

In addition, its vocal is clean, but bright and has sibilant.

Because of the reasons I sold my u18t rather than keeping it as a references.

I agree that the U18 may not be the best all-rounder as it is hyped or marketed to be. I once thought it was too, but after having it for a year or so I found that if I do want a neutral, ultimately detailed and balanced listen with a large realistic soundstage I would reach for my UERR instead of the U18. I also agree that the U18's focus on mid-hi a bit too much, a tad exaggerated. In fact the U12 is way more balanced and should score closer to target curves than the U18.

While I still keep my U18 it is no longer considered as a reference. The UERR is my reference. The LX is my guilty pleasure.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #15,244 of 40,573
Is anyone able to share their opinions on whether the Phantom pairs better with the SP1000CU or SP1000SS or Hugo 2?

I am using a Leonidas cable and am looking for, of course, accurate timbre and tonality, good extensions on both ends, assuming that a large holographic sound stage is a given with the three.

I unfortunately am unable to test them in person due to unavailability and may have to make a blind purchase. Maybe @ctsooner22 can chime in?

Spent about 4 months using phantoms, Leo and hugo2 as home set up. Have demo’d Sp1000 ss for a week. If it just down to sq the h2 is on a different page in this combination. Sp1000 is tebchnicalky very good, fairly neutral but doesn’t have weight of presentation, level of resolution and ultimately sounds far more natural, dynamic and pacey than sp1000. The Leo and phantoms play to all the h2’s strengths and enhance them keeping the beautiful natural sound intact and the Leo adds even more silliness to the treble and mids. I know Pete will suggest the ayre codex which by all accounts is great too but different and not really portable, so if the later doesn’t matter to you it has to be auditioned. The H2 for me had stopped the dac hunt in its tracks, there’s one caveat, it gets better, the better the source or transport you put in to it. The output as you’d expect is a result of a combination of the 2 not just the sig of the h2. Eg the results are better with my se100 than my iPhone and dx200 when used transports and it sounds incredible with the sp1000 too.....,that last comment doesn’t help at all but the h2 is just a digital to analogue converter and amplifier, an awesome one at that, but as such it is source dependent and while it’s a fine polisher of turds, if that’s all you put in ultimately thats all you’ll get out just presented in a prettier audio package. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #15,245 of 40,573
Spent about 4 months using phantoms, Leo and hugo2 as home set up. Have demo’d Sp1000 ss for a week. If it just down to sq the h2 is on a different page in this combination. Sp1000 is tebchnicalky very good, fairly neutral but doesn’t have weight of presentation, level of resolution and ultimately sounds far more natural, dynamic and pacey than sp1000. The Leo and phantoms play to all the h2’s strengths and enhance them keeping the beautiful natural sound intact and the Leo adds even more silliness to the treble and mids. I know Pete will suggest the ayre codex which by all accounts is great too but different and not really portable, so if the later doesn’t matter to you it has to be auditioned. The H2 for me had stopped the dac hunt in its tracks, there’s one caveat, it gets better, the better the source or transport you put in to it. The output as you’d expect is a result of a combination of the 2 not just the sig of the h2. Eg the results are better with my se100 than my iPhone and dx200 when used transports and it sounds incredible with the sp1000 too.....,that last comment doesn’t help at all but the h2 is just a digital to analogue converter and amplifier, an awesome one at that, but as such it is source dependent and while it’s a fine polisher of turds, if that’s all you put in ultimately thats all you’ll get out just presented in a prettier audio package. :wink:

Many thanks!

I love how your answer culminated in both the Hugo 2 and a darn good source. I'm not opposed to that conclusion but I think at first instance I should consider the SP1000 then, with the Hugo 2 later (if it ever makes it into my collection).

On a separate note, I'm now veering towards the SP1000SS because I don't think I can be bothered with polishing the tarnish of a SP1000CU and the general consensus appears to be that the difference between the two are not significant enough.

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #15,246 of 40,573
Many thanks!

I love how your answer culminated in both the Hugo 2 and a darn good source. I'm not opposed to that conclusion but I think at first instance I should consider the SP1000 then, with the Hugo 2 later (if it ever makes it into my collection).

On a separate note, I'm now veering towards the SP1000SS because I don't think I can be bothered with polishing the tarnish of a SP1000CU and the general consensus appears to be that the difference between the two are not significant enough.

I know sorry, but sadly an external DAC/amp cant play music without a source. I would say most decent external DAC/Amps, not just the H2 will perform better than any DAP, simple because of what's currently possible within the confines of the DAP's physical form which make compromises an inevitability, but its another box and thats why i have a DAP for travel and then use it with the DAC/amp at home. That said you could (at least in the UK where AK prices are higher than most other countries), buy an H2 and SE100 and still have change from what a Sp1000 costs. The H2/Se100 combo sounds better than the SP1000 on its own and the Se100 is a more practical package in terms of portability admittedly with some sonic trade off compared to sp1000, but which is probably only noticeable if your listening environment is other than that of what you get travelling. All of that said if money's no option i'd have and H2 and Sp1000, but i'd give up the Sp1000 in a blink, if budget is a factor. I think you'll love the AK, just dont listen to the H2 and you're away :wink:

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #15,247 of 40,573
Lol thats funny yesterday i listenef to my phantom for 8hours straight
And i just woke up and i have dreamed that i was waring utopia all day lmao

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #15,248 of 40,573
I just sent the ESR to the second person on the review tour. Very fine product. Loads of detail and very even across the frequency range. Bass is fast , goes crazy deep and has tons of texture - it does not have. A lot of slam but it is a ba. mids are very present and forward , male and female voices are very nice with plenty of body and height. And the highs go way up without being harsh or sibilant. Stage is very wide, has nice depth and s the tallest I have listened too. Ran it into the dx208 and was an excellent pairing with the extra bottom end of the amp8. Hated to send them on, but now have a itch for the phantom.
I'm borrowing a pair from a friend and I have the same experience with them. Great IEM. It scales well. I also used it with DX208 as well has the Hugo 2. The ESR/Hugo 2 pairing is VERY good.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #15,249 of 40,573
Hi everyone,
I’ve sold my desktop installation for a full portable system : Sony WM1Z with the Oriolus mk2 which I know for years and still give me a special groovy sound.
But I’m looking for some new earphones, with better transparency and details.
I’m a rock listener and I expect deep low extension, punch, speed and medium layering.
After many reviews studied, I think to Jomo Flamenco and both Empire Ears Zeus and Legend X.
Did someone ever try these earphones ?
Have you advices for me ?

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #15,250 of 40,573
Hi everyone,
I’ve sold my desktop installation for a full portable system : Sony WM1Z with the Oriolus mk2 which I know for years and still give me a special groovy sound.
But I’m looking for some new earphones, with better transparency and details.
I’m a rock listener and I expect deep low extension, punch, speed and medium layering.
After many reviews studied, I think to Jomo Flamenco and both Empire Ears Zeus and Legend X.
Did someone ever try these earphones ?
Have you advices for me ?

Of those three, the Legend X would suit your needs best. If you want more present vocals and a more even balance between the midrange and bass, Jomo's new hybrid - the Quatre - is worth a look. The 64Audio N8 is worth a look as well as somewhat of an in-between.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #15,251 of 40,573

Tek, great post. I do agree overall. My close friend owns and loves his Hugo2. I love it too but I wanted a one box portable. That was and still may be important to me. Size was also tough. If it was just a desktop, I like the sound of the Codex best, but that's a different flavor. There are some very strong options for desktops at many price ranges now. If Chord wanted to own the portable market, they could easily come up with a state of the art type of 'server' with built in Tidal type of streaming ability. Maybe it's like a Poly, but I don't see that happening. Too bad though..Lot's of options.

Thanks for sharing the great thoughts.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #15,252 of 40,573
Thank you Deezel177 !
No worries with mediums ?
No V signature ?
I don’t always listen to rock (psychedelic, stoner, progressive) and want my IEM to sound great with vocals and to sound realistic.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #15,253 of 40,573
Tek, great post. I do agree overall. My close friend owns and loves his Hugo2. I love it too but I wanted a one box portable. That was and still may be important to me. Size was also tough. If it was just a desktop, I like the sound of the Codex best, but that's a different flavor. There are some very strong options for desktops at many price ranges now. If Chord wanted to own the portable market, they could easily come up with a state of the art type of 'server' with built in Tidal type of streaming ability. Maybe it's like a Poly, but I don't see that happening. Too bad though..Lot's of options.

Thanks for sharing the great thoughts.[/QUOTE

Thanks for sharing the great thoughts.
How does Ayre Codex house sounds like? Can you give some descriptions?

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #15,254 of 40,573
Aug 8, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #15,255 of 40,573
i have been going through a HUGE prog house phase lately (the golden period between 2000-2004) and i have to leave here this scorching set by KT

huge , HUGE set - whoever digs this sound you are in for a treat

and i can't understand why this guy is relatively unknown when talentless hacks like DJ Tiesto made millions ( because people usually lack good taste , this is why)

@NaiveSound is gonna love it for sure

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back