Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 8, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #15,256 of 40,614
Hi
I m looking for a pair of Phantom (universal) for a reasonnable price.
I want to test it and publish a review in a french audio website (called tellementnomade.org)

I want to compare to my other iems Em10, Warbler prelude (this iem needs really more attention) and Fitear 335.

Thanks

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #15,257 of 40,614
i have been going through a HUGE prog house phase lately (the golden period between 2000-2004) and i have to leave here this scorching set by KT

huge , HUGE set - whoever digs this sound you are in for a treat

and i can't understand why this guy is relatively unknown when talentless hacks like DJ Tiesto made millions ( because people usually lack good taste , this is why)

@NaiveSound is gonna love it for sure

Have you listened to henry saiz balance natura sonoris mix? Released last year and I think its incredible with the empire ears legend x.

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #15,258 of 40,614
Have you listened to henry saiz balance natura sonoris mix? Released last year and I think its incredible with the empire ears legend x.

i have heard it but so far it's not my cup of tea - all these new cats play a minimal tech house that's boring to my ears - too artsy and eventually safe (plus i like melody hooks and these are just notes floating)

the old prog house makes you feel like you are in a dark thumping club with sweaty people on the verge of ecstasy from the dancing and taking drugs - these new guys like saiz and vrooman feel like attending an art show at MOMA while taking cool, detached selfies

prog music kinda went south after 2005 , different times i guess different music

just my 2 cents ofc

here is one more KT mix from 2002

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #15,259 of 40,614
In US, you can get in touch with Michael Brown at michael@finalaudiousa.com.

Have you purchased the tips through this channel? He’s been very responsive and friendly but they want me to call them and give my credit card info, I’m sure they’re totally trustworthy... I feel bad even asking I just know that in these unfortunate times you have to be careful. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #15,260 of 40,614
Have you purchased the tips through this channel? He’s been very responsive and friendly but they want me to call them and give my credit card info, I’m sure they’re totally trustworthy... I feel bad even asking I just know that in these unfortunate times you have to be careful. Thanks.
I totally understand any concerns you have in this regard! Yes, I've purchased twice from him, so I think you would be good to go. It is kind of expensive though, as they could only ship the order in mixed size (one pair each of S,M, and L) when I ordered, so you might want to ask about that if it makes a difference to you.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #15,261 of 40,614
I'm the one who first contacted him and then posted the email address to order them here. Yes, he is totally responsible. And yes, your credit card number will be safe. Oh, and yes, they only sell the mixed packages. I've ordered at least three times from him with no issues.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #15,262 of 40,614
I'm the one who first contacted him and then posted the email address to order them here. Yes, he is totally responsible. And yes, your credit card number will be safe. Oh, and yes, they only sell the mixed packages. I've ordered at least three times from him with no issues.
Awesome!! Thank you so much for all the info and help. I’ve got some spiral dots on the way too. I’ve not tried those yet so that will be fun. Still so very happy with the legend x. Surely when the next best thing comes out I’ll be drooling over it but for right now for the first time ever I have no interest in buying or listening to anything else. That’s the “endgame” I was looking for apparently. Hopefully it lasts a long while so my wallet can recover.

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #15,263 of 40,614
The Symbio wides are also very good. They are a hybrid tip, silicone over foam. They come from Hungary, and while Csaba will start you off with a pack of mixed sizes you can then order the size you want (after you know what fits you). I've ordered from him twice, no issues and quick delivery. He's also got them for sale (or did) on eBay. On my Zeus they give a slight bit more treble and a slight bit more solid bass.

info@symbioeartips.com

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #15,264 of 40,614
i have heard it but so far it's not my cup of tea - all these new cats play a minimal tech house that's boring to my ears - too artsy and eventually safe (plus i like melody hooks and these are just notes floating)

the old prog house makes you feel like you are in a dark thumping club with sweaty people on the verge of ecstasy from the dancing and taking drugs - these new guys like saiz and vrooman feel like attending an art show at MOMA while taking cool, detached selfies

prog music kinda went south after 2005 , different times i guess different music

just my 2 cents ofc

here is one more KT mix from 2002

No worries. Unfortunately same thing has happened to trance and a lot of so called edm genres. I find myself buying older mixes from the earl 2000 as well.

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #15,265 of 40,614
@proedros, you are more then welcome to try the whole collection EE in our store.
If Empire Ears will send out a demo set from the Phantoms and set Legend X it will be my pleasure to set it up!!!

For now I need the demo's for the people who want to listen in our store, but I am willing to do this!!
I can discus this with @Jack Vang !!
We don't need boxes, just the EA cables and in-ears.

Will there be any demo tour in cabada or usa?

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #15,266 of 40,614
The more I listen to Legend X, the more enthralled by it I become. The bass is the best I've ever heard in an IEM... bestial, and orgasmic. The vocals are liquid and romantic. The treble is like the sweetest honey pouring into my ear. LX is flat-out my favorite IEM to date. It's pure sex.

Now i have the phantom and me to i find its the most amazing detailed bass ever heard also phantom seemes to reproduce all different textures and layering of the bass.
Is legend x better in that regard? Does it do it better than phantom.

Also phantom uses 2 ba bass drivers whille lx 2 dd drivers thats 2 very different drivers

Is Lx as warm and thick sounding as phantom

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #15,267 of 40,614
Now i have the phantom and me to i find its the most amazing detailed bass ever heard also phantom seemes to reproduce all different textures and layering of the bass.
Is legend x better in that regard? Does it do it better than phantom.

Also phantom uses 2 ba bass drivers whille lx 2 dd drivers thats 2 very different drivers

Is Lx as warm and thick sounding as phantom

The LX isn't as warm or thick as the Phantom. It has a pretty neutral tone overall, with a touch of warmth and body stemming from the low-end. In terms of bass resolution, texture and physicality, the LX performs better than the Phantom. But, in presentation, it really is apples and oranges. The Phantoms' bass is more melodic, natural and well-integrated into the overarching signature. The LX's bass is very much meant to display power. While it doesn't overtake the midrange and treble once burnt-in, it's definitely more theatrical than the Phantom in that regard. The LX's midrange is more withdrawn and small compared to the Phantom, and its upper-treble peak(s) gives it a crisper, speedier signature.

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #15,268 of 40,614
can someone who has owned zeus/phantom/legend do a quantity scale for lows/mids/highs ?

i find the Zeus to have enough bass for my taste while being very balanced/transparent , but i am still trying to understand how legend/phantom fare next to zeus in quantity , region-wise

something like if say zeus being a 7/8/9 (for R) and 8/9/9 (for xiv), then phantom is perhaps an 9/10/7 and legend is a 10/8/9 ?

anyone ?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #15,269 of 40,614
The LX isn't as warm or thick as the Phantom. It has a pretty neutral tone overall, with a touch of warmth and body stemming from the low-end. In terms of bass resolution, texture and physicality, the LX performs better than the Phantom. But, in presentation, it really is apples and oranges. The Phantoms' bass is more melodic, natural and well-integrated into the overarching signature. The LX's bass is very much meant to display power. While it doesn't overtake the midrange and treble once burnt-in, it's definitely more theatrical than the Phantom in that regard. The LX's midrange is more withdrawn and small compared to the Phantom, and its upper-treble peak(s) gives it a crisper, speedier signature.

So if I whant an all arounder ans well balanced iem that sound good with edm and vocal acoustics. Probably phantom is a better choise?

I also cant get enough pleasure admiring the phantoms ability to reproduce the insane amount of quality bass and yet you saying the lx has even more of that.

I also find phantom to lack sparkles on top.
I compared it to my hd800s and they really shine sparkle and bells zing high.
On phantom you would simply hear it but no sparkle.

Phantom is great cause I listen 5h average a day. Would LX be fatiging over time?

Maybe its because I use single ended with dx200 amp1 that they dont sound that open enouf. And with amp8 all this little issue would be fixed and even the sparkle will show up?

Would ares 2, 8 wire make a sonic improuvement?

At the end my only complaint about phantom is that they lack a small sparkle on treble it would of be nicer I think even perfect to.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #15,270 of 40,614
can someone who has owned zeus/phantom/legend do a quantity scale for lows/mids/highs ?

i find the Zeus to have enough bass for my taste while being very balanced/transparent , but i am still trying to understand how legend/phantom fare next to zeus in quantity , region-wise

something like if say zeus being a 7/8/9 (for R) and 8/9/9 (for xiv), then phantom is perhaps an 9/10/7 and legend is a 10/8/9 ?

anyone ?

The hypothetical proportions you came up with are fairly accurate if we’re talking strictly about quantity. Though, I’d say the Phantom’s midrange is on-par with the XIV’s, so it should be a 9 in that regard. It’s important to remember that the quantify of each frequency has a profound impact on the rest of the range. There are differences in presentation, spatial imaging, textures, body, etc., that define the overall listening experience more than simply this frequency is louder than that one. For example, the Phantom’s treble is less energetic than the Zeus’s, but it also employs different peaks and dips throughout. Numbers like these can have some value to them, but they lack sufficient nuance IMO if you want to get a serious, better idea of the IEM(s) in question.

So if I whant an all arounder ans well balanced iem that sound good with edm and vocal acoustics. Probably phantom is a better choise?

I also cant get enough pleasure admiring the phantoms ability to reproduce the insane amount of quality bass and yet you saying the lx has even more of that.

I also find phantom to lack sparkles on top.
I compared it to my hd800s and they really shine sparkle and bells zing high.
On phantom you would simply hear it but no sparkle.

Phantom is great cause I listen 5h average a day. Would LX be fatiging over time?

Maybe its because I use single ended with dx200 amp1 that they dont sound that open enouf. And with amp8 all this little issue would be fixed and even the sparkle will show up?

Would ares 2, 8 wire make a sonic improuvement?

Well, the LX has more of it but it also has smaller midrange notes and a more energetic treble. So, it’s a matter of presentation and preference more than anything. You’ll be getting a wildly different signature aside from the bigger bottom.

I told you the Phantom will sound alien after the HD800. :D According to many here, the AMP 8 would provide a much more open response. The Phantom is very source-dependent after all. Cable-wise, for added sparkle I’d recommend the Thor Silver II. It provides a clearer tone whilst maintaining the smoothness of the treble. I love the combination with the 4-wire and I’m sure the 8-wire will bring more out of that synergy. Though, the price concerns me. :p Nic also recommended the Rhapsodio 2.98 a while back, so that’s worth keeping in mind as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back