Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #2,731 of 7,966
I have both Ares II 8-wire and Eros II 8-wire, which I use mainly with my Phantom. I have reviewed the Ares II 8-wire already (link), but my Eros II 8-wire review will still take a while so these are early impressions. Ares II 8-wire is a "grand" sounding cable with quite a bold presentation and it works really well for vocals, which become strong and at times eerily realistic (like a whisper in your ear). It stays within the tonality of the stock Ares II, adds tons of air and expands the stage. I found that when I listen to classical music, it gives a real sense of the venue, like I am sitting in a concert hall.

Eros II 8-wire by comparison is a more refined cable with much more subtle qualities. It reduces some of the warmth of the Phantom, but does maintain excellent timbre. It improves transparency, more details come through and I personally find that the stage feels deeper and more airy to the point that it almost feels like I am listening to an open-back. I don't think it necessarily lifts the treble, but the more neutral tonality helps violins to come through a bit better, as well as the sparkle from cymbals, but the treble does maintain the typical Phantom smoothness. Imaging is really impressive and while it does not give the same sense of sitting in a concert hall as the Ares II, it has its own charms that I have become quite addicted to. The layering is just so beautiful and precise.

So Ares II 8-wire is a warmer and more exciting cable, whereas Eros II 8-wire is more neutral and refined.

Bass quantity is a little bit less with the Eros II 8W compared to the Ares II 8W, but sufficient to not feel like it is lacking. I understand that the bass is a really key aspect to the way the Phantom do "natural" and the Eros II reduces some of the richness and general warmth without harming that. I have been listening to a lot of down-tempo EDM lately and I am surprised by how satisfying the bass is, even on bass-heavy tracks. It is still, at least in my opinion, the typical bass of the Phantom; polite but capable of a rumble when needed. With Eros II it is just a little more polite. In classical music the bass section also moves a little backwards and I really like the balance that results from it.

But early days yet, as I have not had much time for critical listening. This is just based on enjoying the music while I work and noticing things I happen to notice.

You have exactly described the characteristics of the sound of Ares II 8wire which I have listened to it with DX200TI/amp4s and amp8. Since I am about to upgrade to Eros II 8wire and know that there is a mix of silver/ copper cable I need to know if there are adding more details and no fading of bass with the Spartans. @Wyville you also make me want the Phantoms so bad. :smile:
Thanks for answering my questions. :thumbsup:

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #2,732 of 7,966
You have exactly described the characteristics of the sound of Ares II 8wire which I have listened to it with DX200TI/amp4s and amp8. Since I am about to upgrade to Eros II 8wire and know that there is a mix of silver/ copper cable I need to know if there are adding more details and no fading of bass with the Spartans. @Wyville you also make me want the Phantoms so bad. :smile:
Thanks for answering my questions. :thumbsup:

This happened when Wyville posted...

Was trying out the Ares II 8W with phantom & Wm1a, the 8wire as compared to 4w ares2 to me seems to have a darker background as so the "contrast" seems to increase. A little more of the micro details that could be due to soundstage opening up. But the acoustic feel~~. Slightly takes off the "veil" slightly on male vocals.

Almost set my mind on taking up the AresII 8W...
"Clever" me, asked Eric which other cable will pair well with phantom. ErosII 8W! Am bit skeptical bout silver cable at the start as i was afraid it will totally change the sound of phantom. I Was Wrong.

ErosII 8W as compared to 4/8W AresII sounds slightly leaner but with more detail and clarity. Loses slightly on the acoustic feeling (due to the lushness of AresII), thus the impression of open soundstage but it doesnt mean that you lose the timbre, its just cant find any words to describe. Listening to female vocals (olivia ong) and strings, it just sounds much smoother.

Now i can't decide.....

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #2,733 of 7,966
This happened when Wyville posted...

Was trying out the Ares II 8W with phantom & Wm1a, the 8wire as compared to 4w ares2 to me seems to have a darker background as so the "contrast" seems to increase. A little more of the micro details that could be due to soundstage opening up. But the acoustic feel~~. Slightly takes off the "veil" slightly on male vocals.

Almost set my mind on taking up the AresII 8W...
"Clever" me, asked Eric which other cable will pair well with phantom. ErosII 8W! Am bit skeptical bout silver cable at the start as i was afraid it will totally change the sound of phantom. I Was Wrong.

ErosII 8W as compared to 4/8W AresII sounds slightly leaner but with more detail and clarity. Loses slightly on the acoustic feeling (due to the lushness of AresII), thus the impression of open soundstage but it doesnt mean that you lose the timbre, its just cant find any words to describe. Listening to female vocals (olivia ong) and strings, it just sounds much smoother.

Now i can't decide.....

It sounds like a plan. Get both...?!

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2,735 of 7,966
Is anyone opting out of upgrading their 4 wire cables just because of shipping to effect audio?
Nope, it costs an arm and a leg to ship anything anywhere from up here. That upgrade button might be broke after I smacked it so enthusiastically tho :3

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2,736 of 7,966
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #2,738 of 7,966
Thanks for the speedy response Eric.
Secondly, it's essentially a question of 2.5mm against 4.4mm and im sure there are debates over this balanced connectivity but im certainly not the best person to answer this (Sony / AK?).
Not for me it wasn't. It was a question of what material is the P-EA Pentaconn made out of, always was and still is. To quote myself from my post....yuck..
Just be aware it's not the same materials as the 2.5mm Psquared. I asked about this but this is all I could muster...
OK, this can't fail..

Can you please speak to the materials used between P/EA Pentaconn and non-P?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,740 of 7,966
Is anyone opting out of upgrading their 4 wire cables just because of shipping to effect audio?
Nope. I'll let you know how much it cost me later today. USPS.

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,741 of 7,966
$13.75 First Class from Colorado. Not going to make a habit of mailing stuff to Singapore, but my kidneys are intact.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #2,742 of 7,966
$13.75 First Class from Colorado. Not going to make a habit of mailing stuff to Singapore, but my kidneys are intact.

I would not pay for $13.75 to send an excellent cable of $150 to upgrade and would spend little more (it is just the cable!) for USPS Priority Mail to make sure it arrives on time and not getting lost somewhere.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #2,743 of 7,966

Just roll the dice with USPS First Class for 22 bucks and pray to the IEM gods that it arrives :)

I'm going to spend the arm and a leg for Express because I'm an impatient and uncontrollable moron.

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back