Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,764 of 7,919
After listening to the Thor 4-wire for a while, I feel that male vocals suffer too much from this cable (edit: on poorer recorded songs). I still prefer the Ares II+ that I used before with the Oriolus, despite the noticeable improvement in resolution and speed that the silver provides.

Anyone know which cable is best for male vocals? I'm looking at either side-grading to Ares 8-wire, or upgrading to the Lionheart 4-wire. I've read that the Lionheart is inbetween the Ares and Thor in tone on here. Can anyone clarify?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #2,765 of 7,919
After listening to the Thor 4-wire for a while, I feel that male vocals suffer too much from this cable. I still prefer the Ares II+ that I used before with the Oriolus, despite the noticeable improvement in resolution and speed that the silver provides.

Anyone know which cable is best for male vocals? I'm looking at either side-grading to Ares 8-wire, or upgrading to the Lionheart 4-wire. I've read that the Lionheart is inbetween the Ares and Thor in tone on here. Can anyone clarify?
Lionheart has quite a unique sound. Very smooth with great transparency and yet very natural sounding. In my opinion Eros II sits firmly between Ares II and Thor Silver II (although granted, I have not heard Thor on any of my own IEMs), while Lionheart seems to defy this categorisation. It leans more towards a warm copper sound, but just has these unique characteristics.

I don't know the Oriolus, so I can't say anything about synergy, but Eros II is generally a safe bet, while Lionheart has the potential for really special results (like with the Vision Ears VE5). I never heard Eros II+, but that might also be something to have a look at, as I think it combines Ares II+ with Thor Silver II+.

And of course the 8-wires, with Ares II which I think is just an awesome cable and Eros II, which is my new addiction with the Phantom.

You know, just to make life easy for you in terms of choices. :D Seriously though, hope you can demo a few, as that is always most informative.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,766 of 7,919
Lionheart has quite a unique sound. Very smooth with great transparency and yet very natural sounding. In my opinion Eros II sits firmly between Ares II and Thor Silver II (although granted, I have not heard Thor on any of my own IEMs), while Lionheart seems to defy this categorisation. It leans more towards a warm copper sound, but just has these unique characteristics.

I don't know the Oriolus, so I can't say anything about synergy, but Eros II is generally a safe bet, while Lionheart has the potential for really special results (like with the Vision Ears VE5). I never heard Eros II+, but that might also be something to have a look at, as I think it combines Ares II+ with Thor Silver II+.

And of course the 8-wires, with Ares II which I think is just an awesome cable and Eros II, which is my new addiction with the Phantom.

You know, just to make life easy for you in terms of choices. :D Seriously though, hope you can demo a few, as that is always most informative.

Yeah, hearing demos would be nice, but buying and selling is the only option for me. I've been considering the Lionheart the more I hear about it, especially since it was very close in price during the Singapore sale. I only went Thor because it was a little cheaper (I paid the extra $50 for the new 4.4mm plug...).

I edited my earlier comment, because every time I go back to the Thor II, I'm wowed by how good it sounds. I think my complaint is just that it's less forgiving on poorer recordings, so some vocals sound thinner than I would like, but it really is just those poorer recordings. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,767 of 7,919
Yeah, hearing demos would be nice, but buying and selling is the only option for me. I've been considering the Lionheart the more I hear about it, especially since it was very close in price during the Singapore sale. I only went Thor because it was a little cheaper (I paid the extra $50 for the new 4.4mm plug...).

I edited my earlier comment, because every time I go back to the Thor II, I'm wowed by how good it sounds. I think my complaint is just that it's less forgiving on poorer recordings, so some vocals sound thinner than I would like, but it really is just those poorer recordings. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it.
*If* it's poor recordings causing the issue than you really shouldnt drop $500 USD on the Lionheart. It doesnt have black magic that automaticallly fixes poor source material.

Even if not, you should consider: do I want that Aries II warmth + transparency + smoothness + natural sound coupled with an emphasis on vocals. If that combination isnt what you seek, than stick with Thor II.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,768 of 7,919
Sent in the Ares 2 that came with my Phantoms for an upgrade to the Eros 2 8-wire. Hopefully it’ll lift them up without sacrificing their good traits. Main reason is so the cable can also play nice with the Fourte. When the music gets congested the Ares 2 seems to struggle to maintain separation.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,769 of 7,919
Sent in the Ares 2 that came with my Phantoms for an upgrade to the Eros 2 8-wire. Hopefully it’ll lift them up without sacrificing their good traits. Main reason is so the cable can also play nice with the Fourte. When the music gets congested the Ares 2 seems to struggle to maintain separation.

I would do the same soon but what connector do you have?

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #2,771 of 7,919
Have a safe vacation in Singapore, my children. See you on the other side...

IMG_20180920_195231.jpg

-Collin-

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,772 of 7,919
Crazy, I'm doing exactly the same thing with the same two sets of iems, but with a 4.4 termination. In fact, I'm liking the Thor II 8 wire more and more with the Phantoms, so I may start the next to arrive Eros II 8 wire with the Fourtes. Currently have a Leonidas on the Fourtes (I agree, the Ares II just doesn't work so well with them), so it will be interesting to see. Did I mention that I personally don't think cables make a huge difference? :ksc75smile:

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #2,773 of 7,919
Crazy, I'm doing exactly the same thing with the same two sets of iems, but with a 4.4 termination. In fact, I'm liking the Thor II 8 wire more and more with the Phantoms, so I may start the next to arrive Eros II 8 wire with the Fourtes. Currently have a Leonidas on the Fourtes (I agree, the Ares II just doesn't work so well with them), so it will be interesting to see. Did I mention that I personally don't think cables make a huge difference? :ksc75smile:

You should try Janus B or D depending on your preference. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back