Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 18, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,716 of 7,931
How nice of you! I'd pass them the soldering iron before I pass the bottle, but they are pros after all!

FYI - MUSICTECK
I received an email from MT and they changed their mind and will NOT be participating in EA's Bespoke Upgrade Campaign, citing high shipping rates....tell us about it MT!!!

Not surprised, shipping to Asia from US could add up. Had a handful of returns this summer (the stuff I ended up not reviewing), used USPS as the cheapest and actually the most reliable way, but still it adds up...

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #2,717 of 7,931
Not surprised, shipping to Asia from US could add up. Had a handful of returns this summer (the stuff I ended up not reviewing), used USPS as the cheapest and actually the most reliable way, but still it adds up...
Should cost much, last time I ship my Vega to Singapore cost about $14 and get there 5 business days

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,718 of 7,931
Should cost much, last time I ship my Vega to Singapore cost about $14 and get there 5 business days

you mean shouldn't cost much :wink: Smaller lighter packages could be around $15, but without insurance, no tracking (just that customs number or whatever that form number), and only 2 week guarantee delivery from USPS (but sometimes could get there faster). Adding tracking/insurance/etc. will add to the cost (I imagine that's what a store like MT will have to do). But in my case I had a few heavier/larger returns with full iem/dap packaging. That adds us, but as a reviewer I should probably stop whining and complaining :D

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2,719 of 7,931
^^ Speaking of complaining...
Oh my, only 50 bucks extra for the Psquared 3.5 mm. Really want to smack the upgrade button on the Aries II now.
Just be aware it's not the same materials as the 2.5mm Psquared. I asked about this but this is all I could muster...

Is the PSquared Pentaconn jack the same Palladium and Platinum design as the 2.5mm version? Can you speak to the differences between PSquared Pentaconn and 2.5mm please.

Eric: Thank you for your interest in our products. The P-EA (Pentaconn) 4.4mm is not a Palladium / Platinum design. It's a upgraded 4.4mm over the regular ones.
cleardot.gif

I understand it’s upgraded. My question was asking for the differences between it and 2.5mm. Hoping you can give me more than, it’s better.

Eric: As they are different connectors, between 2.5mm and 4.4mm. I don’t really know where to start explaining the difference. Meanwhile if you’re referring the the normal 4.4 against the P-EA 4.4, the upgraded one has a lusher sound with blacker background.

I then decided that if all I'm going to get out of this is that it's 2.5mm, not 4.4mm, I clearly won't be purchasing...and now that it isn't my money, I figure I should bring light to this.

Considering my questioning was quite clear, to say I was not impressed with the answers I received would mostly be blowing bubblegum up everybody's ass. In fact, I kinda thought about sending Eric a Mr. Rogers salute of my own. I instead found comfort in watching "Panda Needs a Personal Day." I imagine an answer is on it's way shortly now. No hard feeling Eric @EffectAudio, and FYI my posts are usually over-the-top, but I do hope you can see why I felt your answers were subpar.

giphy.gif

Mostly jokes

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #2,720 of 7,931

Just be aware it's not the same materials as the 2.5mm Psquared. I asked about this but this is all I could muster...

Eric: Thank you for your interest in our products. The P-EA (Pentaconn) 4.4mm is not a Palladium / Platinum design. It's a upgraded 4.4mm over the regular ones.
cleardot.gif

Eric: As they are different connectors, between 2.5mm and 4.4mm. I don’t really know where to start explaining the difference. Meanwhile if you’re referring the the normal 4.4 against the P-EA 4.4, the upgraded one has a lusher sound with blacker background.

I then decided that if all I'm going to get out of this is that it's 2.5mm, not 4.4mm, I clearly won't be purchasing...and now that it isn't my money, I figure I should bring light to this.

Considering my questioning was quite clear, to say I was not impressed with the answers I received would mostly be blowing bubblegum up everybody's ass. In fact, I kinda thought about sending Eric a Mr. Rogers salute of my own. I instead found comfort in watching "Panda Needs a Personal Day." I imagine an answer is on it's way shortly now. No hard feeling Eric @EffectAudio, and FYI my posts are usually over-the-top, but I do hope you can see why I felt your answers were subpar.

giphy.gif

Mostly jokes
Well that...certainly throws a wrench in things. Does that mean my Lionheart is not using the Palladium/Platinum plug too? I feel a headache oncoming....

I was under the impression that the Psquared 3.5 mm was Palladium/Platinum.

Perhaps Eric @EffectAudio can sort this one out?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,721 of 7,931

cleardot.gif

giphy.gif

Mostly jokes
Thank you for posting the GIF. Blown bubblegum up my ass does not sound even remotely comfortable. :scream:

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2,722 of 7,931
The upgrade is really really really tempting. However, as someone who prefers to just buy the "best" thing so that I can forget (at least for a year) about upgrading, would it just make sense to skip the upgrades and just go straight to the Janus B/D or is there a world where the Ares II 8W or Eros II 8W would be preferred???

Right now I'm looking at those 4 cables btw.

*Was briefly interested in the 1960 4 wire but couldn't justify spending more on a cable than what I invested in my IEM or DAP.*

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #2,723 of 7,931

cleardot.gif

Mostly jokes

No offense taken but there are some discrepancies and wrong information in your post :)

The Psquared 3.5mm & 2.5mm are the Oyaide Collab Palladium / Platinum plugs that we work with Oyaide. Meanwhile though, I was unable to make an proper assessment when you suggested the PSquared 2.5mm against the P-EA 4.4mm as for starters, it's a collaboration with 2 different manufacturers with the 4.4mm an effort by Pentaconn. Secondly, it's essentially a question of 2.5mm against 4.4mm and im sure there are debates over this balanced connectivity but im certainly not the best person to answer this (Sony / AK?). Whereas during our brief email exchanges, i've mainly corrected that the P-EA 4.4mm is not PSquared 4.4mm , ergo , not Palladium / Platinum 4.4mm.

Being so vastly different on so many accounts, i really couldn't proper advise P-EA 4.4mm vs PSquared 2.5mm. Hope this helps Nate :)

- Eric

Last edited:
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #2,724 of 7,931
No offense taken but there are some discrepancies and wrong information in your post :)

The Psquared 3.5mm & 2.5mm are the Oyaide Collab Palladium / Platinum plugs that we work with Oyaide. Meanwhile though, I was unable to make an proper assessment when you suggested the PSquared 2.5mm against the P-EA 4.4mm as for starters, it's a collaboration with 2 different manufacturers with the 4.4mm an effort by Pentaconn. Secondly, it's mainly a question of 2.5mm against 4.4mm and im sure there are debates over this balanced connectivity but im certainly not the best person to answer this (Sony / AK?). Whereas during our brief email exchanges, i've mainly corrected that the P-EA 4.4mm is not PSquared 4.4mm , ergo , not Palladium / Platinum 4.4mm.

Being so vastly different on so many accounts, i really couldn't proper advise P-EA 4.4mm vs PSquared 2.5mm. Hope this helps Nate :)

- Eric
Couldn't hit that "upgrade" button fast enough. So my understanding is the upgrade is processed once you recieve the cable we send in. How do you keep track of that? There isn't some form of tracking number or slip that we can include with the shipment>

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,725 of 7,931
Couldn't hit that "upgrade" button fast enough. So my understanding is the upgrade is processed once you recieve the cable we send in. How do you keep track of that? There isn't some form of tracking number or slip that we can include with the shipment>

On our backend system, we would capture the order and will send you an email on the order confirmation automatically once you placed an order. Thereafter, on my end, i would have to manually key your order details onto our SAP system. The tracking of order commences from there. However, to triple insure your order, you can print out the order confirmation and send your cable together with it :)

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #2,726 of 7,931
Anyone own and can compare between the Ares II 8wire and Eros II 8wire. I try to upgrade from Ares II 4wire to Eros II 8wire. Thanks!
I have both Ares II 8-wire and Eros II 8-wire, which I use mainly with my Phantom. I have reviewed the Ares II 8-wire already (link), but my Eros II 8-wire review will still take a while so these are early impressions. Ares II 8-wire is a "grand" sounding cable with quite a bold presentation and it works really well for vocals, which become strong and at times eerily realistic (like a whisper in your ear). It stays within the tonality of the stock Ares II, adds tons of air and expands the stage. I found that when I listen to classical music, it gives a real sense of the venue, like I am sitting in a concert hall.

Eros II 8-wire by comparison is a more refined cable with much more subtle qualities. It reduces some of the warmth of the Phantom, but does maintain excellent timbre. It improves transparency, more details come through and I personally find that the stage feels deeper and more airy to the point that it almost feels like I am listening to an open-back. I don't think it necessarily lifts the treble, but the more neutral tonality helps violins to come through a bit better, as well as the sparkle from cymbals, but the treble does maintain the typical Phantom smoothness. Imaging is really impressive and while it does not give the same sense of sitting in a concert hall as the Ares II, it has its own charms that I have become quite addicted to. The layering is just so beautiful and precise.

So Ares II 8-wire is a warmer and more exciting cable, whereas Eros II 8-wire is more neutral and refined.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #2,728 of 7,931
I'm pulling the trigger on the Leonidas upgrade and Eros upgrade. Good lord, I think it would have been more cost effective to fly one of the EA employees to my house, wine and dine them, then hand them a soldering iron...

-Collin-
The 4 wire Leonidas sounds so good I can barely fathom how impressive the 8 wire version must be. I'd love to read your impressions after you receive it SeeSax.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #2,729 of 7,931
I have both Ares II 8-wire and Eros II 8-wire, which I use mainly with my Phantom. I have reviewed the Ares II 8-wire already (link), but my Eros II 8-wire review will still take a while so these are early impressions. Ares II 8-wire is a "grand" sounding cable with quite a bold presentation and it works really well for vocals, which become strong and at times eerily realistic (like a whisper in your ear). It stays within the tonality of the stock Ares II, adds tons of air and expands the stage. I found that when I listen to classical music, it gives a real sense of the venue, like I am sitting in a concert hall.

Eros II 8-wire by comparison is a more refined cable with much more subtle qualities. It reduces some of the warmth of the Phantom, but does maintain excellent timbre. It improves transparency, more details come through and I personally find that the stage feels deeper and more airy to the point that it almost feels like I am listening to an open-back. I don't think it necessarily lifts the treble, but the more neutral tonality helps violins to come through a bit better, as well as the sparkle from cymbals, but the treble does maintain the typical Phantom smoothness. Imaging is really impressive and while it does not give the same sense of sitting in a concert hall as the Ares II, it has its own charms that I have become quite addicted to. The layering is just so beautiful and precise.

So Ares II 8-wire is a warmer and more exciting cable, whereas Eros II 8-wire is more neutral and refined.

How about the effect on the low end, the bass quantity between these w/Phantom?

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,730 of 7,931
How about the effect on the low end, the bass quantity between these w/Phantom?
Bass quantity is a little bit less with the Eros II 8W compared to the Ares II 8W, but sufficient to not feel like it is lacking. I understand that the bass is a really key aspect to the way the Phantom do "natural" and the Eros II reduces some of the richness and general warmth without harming that. I have been listening to a lot of down-tempo EDM lately and I am surprised by how satisfying the bass is, even on bass-heavy tracks. It is still, at least in my opinion, the typical bass of the Phantom; polite but capable of a rumble when needed. With Eros II it is just a little more polite. In classical music the bass section also moves a little backwards and I really like the balance that results from it.

But early days yet, as I have not had much time for critical listening. This is just based on enjoying the music while I work and noticing things I happen to notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back