Effect Audio cables thread
Jun 2, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #2,086 of 7,919
since someone mentioned something at another thread , i want to ask something about EA cables

is there a correct way into inserting the cable into your ciems ?

someone said that the EA logo should face outwards when inserted (not looking the ears)

is this true , does it make any difference into channel balance/sound ?

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,087 of 7,919
since someone mentioned something at another thread , i want to ask something about EA cables

is there a correct way into inserting the cable into your ciems ?

someone said that the EA logo should face outwards when inserted (not looking the ears)

is this true , does it make any difference into channel balance/sound ?

No matter the manufacturer, if your cable was soldered correctly, the groove or indent on the black portion of the 2-pin connector should always face outward. The cables are marked "L" and "R" for a reason. Some suggest that a cable plugged in backwards (or in reverse polarity) will deteriorate soundstage accuracy, imaging precision, etc. I personally haven't attempted this, so I can't confirm.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #2,088 of 7,919
No matter the manufacturer, if your cable was soldered correctly, the groove or indent on the black portion of the 2-pin connector should always face outward. The cables are marked "L" and "R" for a reason. Some suggest that a cable plugged in backwards (or in reverse polarity) will deteriorate soundstage accuracy, imaging precision, etc. I personally haven't attempted this, so I can't confirm.

Hey daniel my man , thanx again

my cable does not have a L/R indication (the eos cable) so i should plug them so that the EA logo (which is present on them) face outwards then ?

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #2,090 of 7,919
That's odd, there should at least be some indication. Not even a blue or red dot? If there is, the blue is left, red is right
The last couple of cables I bought from EA they had the R/L indication on the connectors (opposite to the logo, facing inside) when I got the Phantom and LX from EE, a month ago, I was surprised that the 2 cables did have the indicators.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,091 of 7,919
Hey daniel my man , thanx again

my cable does not have a L/R indication (the eos cable) so i should plug them so that the EA logo (which is present on them) face outwards then ?

In that case, just make sure the groove on the black plastic (as illustrated on the Empire Ears thread) is facing outwards. Usually with Effect Audio cables, the groove is aligned with the logo, so yes, the logo should face outwards with your Eos.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #2,092 of 7,919
In that case, just make sure the groove on the black plastic (as illustrated on the Empire Ears thread) is facing outwards. Usually with Effect Audio cables, the groove is aligned with the logo, so yes, the logo should face outwards with your Eos.

Exactly!!! Groove should be facing outwards on both sides, to be consistent, especially when you have a balanced terminated cable. If you are going to have one side facing in and the other side facing out (common mistake with cables where there is no pre-shaped earhook), you will end up with a nasty phasing effect which ruins the imaging and tonality. Also, you can always double check by using balance fader of your DAP, slide it from left to right just to be sure the sides are wired correctly.

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #2,093 of 7,919
Thanks, just to double check would this be the correct setup?

Ares II
Connector
JH24
Termination Type
EA3.5mm Rhodium-Plated
Y-SPLIT
EA Carbon Fibre Rugged

Choose the EA Carbon Fiber Mini. It is much better!

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #2,094 of 7,919
Exactly!!! Groove should be facing outwards on both sides, to be consistent, especially when you have a balanced terminated cable. If you are going to have one side facing in and the other side facing out (common mistake with cables where there is no pre-shaped earhook), you will end up with a nasty phasing effect which ruins the imaging and tonality. Also, you can always double check by using balance fader of your DAP, slide it from left to right just to be sure the sides are wired correctly.

The term we used to use was "Out of phase," don't know about now. As you said, as long as the orientation of the grooves match on both sides then it shouldn't matter which way the groove faces, other than the strain relief being backwards (if there is such on the cable).

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #2,095 of 7,919
Sharing a few amateur thoughts on the following cables paired with the Phantom.

Leonidas 4w. Bass and treble beautifully controlled and extended compared to the Ares II. Ares II felt raw and bold, Leonidas felt refined and and elegant, without lacking body. The Ares II at times exhibited a muddying of the mids from the emotional bass, and the Leonidas perfectly tames this, enhancing vocals tenfold. The Leonidas is also brighter and more transparent than the Ares II, providing a much cleaner separation and display. However, that comes at the slight loss of warmth and emotion which I might say takes a bit away from the timbre. That said, it was still extremely musical and balanced, thoroughly complementing the Phantom. I spent the most time listening to the Leonidas 4w because of how magnificent the synergy was.

Leonidas 8w. Bass and treble is equally beautifully controlled and extended like the 4w. However, the 8w is more laid back due to the slightly wider soundstage and less energetic tone. While the 8w didn't sound hollow, I felt like there was a little too much distance between you and the action. I much prefer the 4w to the 8w.

Lionheart 4w. I actually prefer this to the Leonidas 8w. Tonally, I think the Lionheart retains the Phantom signature the best. A little warmth helps the beautiful timbre that we all love. Unfortunately, I decided against the Lionheart because it was a bit too relaxed and laid-back for my liking. It didn't have that same punch and weight as the Leonidas 4w, even though it has very comparable extensions on both ends. The Leonidas is a little brighter and you get a bit more than what you lose.

Lionheart 8w. Did not like this at all because it was way too laid back.

Janus D. I should start off by saying that the cable is a beauty. The Janus controlled the bass extremely well and prevented any muddying of the mids. Vocals were on point and treble was perfectly extended. Compared to the Leonidas 4w, it is a little warmer which helped a little in the emotional display. But alas, at least to my ears, I wasn't hearing that micro detail and energy that the Leonidas so powerfully exhibited. The Janus was no slouch of course, and I would definitely recommend this pairing with the Phantom. But for what you're paying for this vs the Leonidas, and what you're getting, I couldn't help but think that the Leonidas was the wiser choice of the two. The Leonidas is more exciting, the Janus is more matured.

I had wanted to audition the M4L4 as well but unfortunately it is unavailable. However, I'm informed that it is brighter than the Leonidas and that's probably too bright for my liking anyway.

Disclaimer: The above are my amateur thoughts and should not be taken to be definitive.

Very enjoyable and informative read. Thanks

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #2,096 of 7,919
The term we used to use was "Out of phase," don't know about now. As you said, as long as the orientation of the grooves match on both sides then it shouldn't matter which way the groove faces, other than the strain relief being backwards (if there is such on the cable).

Yes, I use "phasing" as a short hand for "out of phase" :wink: Not to be confused with phaser, chorus, flanger, delay, reverb effects used in music production :D

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,098 of 7,919
This is getting quite absurd. I sent a cable back to EA for repair under warranty and shipping took around 8 business days. But when they sent it back, it's been over 5 weeks and I still haven't received it yet.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2,099 of 7,919
This is getting quite absurd. I sent a cable back to EA for repair under warranty and shipping took around 8 business days. But when they sent it back, it's been over 5 weeks and I still haven't received it yet.

Has your tracking info updated at all? I'm also waiting on a cable from them and the tracking stopped once it reached the US. It's been a week since then...

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,100 of 7,919
Has your tracking info updated at all? I'm also waiting on a cable from them and the tracking stopped once it reached the US. It's been a week since then...

Same issue with me. The tracking stopped once it reached Canada. It's been over 2 weeks since that update.
Singapore Post says that it has arrived at destination country, but when I tried calling Canada Post, they said they didn't receive it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back