Edition 8 - my first hands on impression
Jan 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #31 of 142
Do you have any experience with the 780 or ED9 to compare the size of the ear pads to the ED8? I have the 780 and love the sound, but the pad is just a bit too small in diameter and touches the outside of my ears so I'm constantly messing with the position. It is a bit better with the ED9 when I've tried them due to the leather pads but if the ED8 had just a bit larger diameter they would be perfect.

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #33 of 142
It looks like the 8s are pretty sweet!

I am sure they did ED8 to rival the HD8...if I had a choice Id go with the Ultrasone...only because they are closed. I really do like open phones but my son and wife are disturbed when I have things cranking. Im going to have to twist GC locally to open a box...if they get a pair.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #34 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do like open phones but my son and wife are disturbed when I have things cranking.

x2, that's the reason why I won't purchase the HD800.

The Edition 8 are really tempting and I know that it will be hard for me to resist..
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #35 of 142
Looks like we should be expecting a great set of headphones. I am excited to see wider set the impressions from the rest of headfi. What really strikes me about these cans is their build quality.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #36 of 142
Yeah they look solid, durability wise. I hope that leather will stand the test of time, though.

No doubt in my mind this pair will be on the best sounding portable arena (except for those who wont care much for the S-logic flavor). But for those talking about the HD800 vs E8 argument, I really don't think the E8 can overtake the new Senn. This is based on the fact that the E8 is NOT miles ahead of the E9 in SQ. And based on Jude's initial review of the HD800, the Senn will be released with guns loaded. Pardon my can of worms since we don't have production units yet. Just thinking.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #37 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edition8 looks solid and classy to my eyes. The look of Edition 7/9 was spoiled by the plastic parts but in comparison E8 employs bunch of metallic parts, it reminds me of my GRADO HP2. I felt the weight was not heavy considering the heavy duty construction.

Ahh, this is a sight for sore eyes. It is so nice to here about a company who comes out with a new reference headphone without compromising its build quality. The Edition 8 and SA5000 are headphones that are proof positive that you can make a headphone out of metal and for it to be light weight and comfortable. I believe that the Edition 8 is far better designed than the HD800. If the sound quality is up to par with the HD800, I would rather have the Edition 8. Thanks Sasaki for your review.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #38 of 142
Seems that people are so easy in paying USD 1500 for a headphone without even try them first. Strange time we are living in...
Also talking about changing the cable of the USD 1500 headphones isn't positive, however some folks re-cable anything and believe in anything. Don't get me wrong, just trying to be practical than sceptical up here. I don't believe in such thing as paying USD 1500 and then invest another USD 500, or more, in new cable. Does this mean that their stock cable are cheap USD 2 trash where you pay USD 1500 for it, if cable so important I mean.
I think a lot of folks need to wake up and get a life, talking about MSRP, jeez, when its going to stop, mean that people have to stop supporting such "revelry".

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #40 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems that people are so easy in paying USD 1500 for a headphone without even try them first. Strange time we are living...
Also talking about changing the cable of the USD 1500 headphones isnt positive, however some folks re-cable anything and believe in anything. Dont get me wrong, just trying to be practical than sceptical up here. I dont believe in such thing as paying USD 1500 and then invest another USD 500, or more, in new cable. Does this mean that their stock cable are cheap USD 2 trash where you pay USD 1500 for it, if cable so important I mean.
I think a lot of folks need to wake up and get a life, talking about MSRP, jeez, when its going to stop, mean that people have to stop suporting such "revelry".

Quite right with everything you say
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #41 of 142
^^^^MSRP< SMSRP = Wait and the price will come down or not.

MSRP is for those that have the capitol and want it now!

Look at the price of LCD/PLASMA/BLUERAY--technology is ever evolving; if you refuse to pay what the current market is dictating, wait it out. I'm sure the price that you are willing to pay will present itself. Heck, I'm sure there are folks, here on head-fi and elsewhere, that are going to sell prematurely or due to disatisfaction; right?!?

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #42 of 142
Quote:

Seems that people are so easy in paying USD 1500 for a headphone without even try them first. Strange time we are living in...
Also talking about changing the cable of the USD 1500 headphones isn't positive, however some folks re-cable anything and believe in anything. Don't get me wrong, just trying to be practical than sceptical up here. I don't believe in such thing as paying USD 1500 and then invest another USD 500, or more, in new cable. Does this mean that their stock cable are cheap USD 2 trash where you pay USD 1500 for it, if cable so important I mean.
I think a lot of folks need to wake up and get a life, talking about MSRP, jeez, when its going to stop, mean that people have to stop supporting such "revelry".

Definetly x2!

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #43 of 142
Quote:

Oh, I fully intend to try them first (or at least order them from a place with a good return policy).

Quote:

I agree with this--I don't understand this fascination with recabling, either (but then I'm a heretic who uses tone controls).

Quote:

Well, I think that the Edition 9s sold at close to MSRP for the most part, didn't they? It doesn't seem silly to assume that the Edition 8s will, as well.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #44 of 142
Another Ed8-Ed9 comparison at Moon Audio

Quote:

Edition 8 Features:

Can it be possible for 2 new reference headphones to rule the top of the Hill? With the very long anticipated wait of the Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, a second reference phone has hit the street. Is there room for 2 references in my stable? I say hell yes. The new Ultrasone Edition 8 and the new Sennheiser HD 800 are very different sounding animals. The Sennheiser HD 800 is an open back design that is very transient sounding. Very punchy and extremely light on it's feet. But will require quiet surroundings to enjoy. The are extremely open to outside noise. So for headphone listening on a reference level with the ability to shelter you from the outside world, please welcome the Edition 8.

In comparing to the Edition 9, the Edition 8 has a cleaner sound with tighter transients and snap. with no increase in forwardness over the Edition 9. The Edition 9 has sometimes been complained of having sibilance to some listeners. I have never experienced this but for those of you who have I feel you will be relieved to know they have solved this issue for you. The Edition 9 (8?) has a softer sound when compared to the Edition 9. The Edition 8 has improved bass attack over the 9's I feel. The 2 phones sound very different.

The comfort to my big head has been improved over the Edition 9. The cups are smaller but now are oval for a much better seal around my ears. The phones are amazingly light due to the new aluminum headband which is a work of art. New materials have been utilized to make them extremely resistant to scratches and abuse. I can definitely see myself doing a lot of travelling with these phones.

It seems the Ed8 win !!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back