Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #2,581 of 2,605
  1. Original Zana Deux (OTL, no Low/High switch)
  2. Limited quantity of Zana Deux Transformer (known as ZDT, with speaker/headphone switch and 4-pin XLR also)
  3. Zana Deux Super (still OTL, with Low/High impedance switch)
Original Zana Deux (I owned this one, with special "dress" glossy front plate):
ZD_BW.jpg

Zana Deux Transformer (ZDT): notice the big transformers behind the coke bottle tubes and different driver tube
ZDTfrontint.jpg

Zana Deux Super (ZDS): notice caps on this ZDS are taller than the 6SL7 compared to O.G. ZD above & Low/High Switch
ZDmainBLACKweb.jpg

Basically: Early ZD > very small number of ZDT (more different with transformers) > later ZDS (tweaks on the O.G., still OTL)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,584 of 2,605
Valvo Tube.jpg

Found this tube and swapped it in place of my favorite 5691 red base in my ZDS. It is a Valvo CV569 (military grade). I believe it is Holland-made for the West German military. With the "BWB Falcon" logo I believe it denotes that the tubes were originally supplied to the German Federal Office of Defense Technology Procurement (Bundesamt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung).... but I don't speak or write German. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I really like this tube, but I need to find some time to do some head to head testing against my 5691 red base. I think this tube is very rare as info, pics and comments are almost non-existant.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #2,586 of 2,605
  2. Limited quantity of Zana Deux Transformer (known as ZDT, with speaker/headphone switch and 4-pin XLR also)
ZD_BW.jpg

Zana Deux Transformer (ZDT): notice the big transformers behind the coke bottle tubes and different driver tube
ZDTfrontint.jpg

Zana Deux Super (ZDS): notice caps on this ZDS are taller than the 6SL7 compared to O.G. ZD above & Low/High Switch
ZDmainBLACKweb.jpg

Basically: Early ZD > very small number of ZDT (more different with transformers) > later ZDS (tweaks on the O.G., still OTL)
Thanks for the clarification. I was wrong to think the latest zds is transformer coupled. Very interesting to see how Craig designs low zout from OTL amps.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #2,589 of 2,605
@AnakChan do you remember what the high/low OI numbers were? I think I bought it off you in 2018? I still have the amp and enjoy it quite a bit. It's strictly a cold-weather amp for me though, but this is no problem as I'm in Boston, where it acts as a nice space heater. I have never heard an unmodded ZD/ZDS so I have no idea how it measures up, but the combo of ZD/6xx is right up there with DNA Stratus/Verite Open -- it's that good, and that's why you see so few offered up. Entirely different sounds; but just as engaging and resolving, with the ZD offering speed and sharper transients against the Stratus wetter and more rounded sound.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,590 of 2,605
ZD_BW.jpg

ZDTfrontint.jpg

ZDmainBLACKweb.jpg

i had possibly the only zds in my country (NZ), but had to sell it, to raise some cash to deal with an emergency; am i correct in thinking EC arent making them anymore? i want it back, again!

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #2,591 of 2,605
@AnakChan do you remember what the high/low OI numbers were? I think I bought it off you in 2018? I still have the amp and enjoy it quite a bit. It's strictly a cold-weather amp for me though, but this is no problem as I'm in Boston, where it acts as a nice space heater. I have never heard an unmodded ZD/ZDS so I have no idea how it measures up, but the combo of ZD/6xx is right up there with DNA Stratus/Verite Open -- it's that good, and that's why you see so few offered up. Entirely different sounds; but just as engaging and resolving, with the ZD offering speed and sharper transients against the Stratus wetter and more rounded sound.
I believe the ZDSE was 3 & 12 ohm out iirc. Not sure if that changed with the ZDS though.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,592 of 2,605
3 and 20 for the ZDS

Jan 15, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #2,593 of 2,605
I believe the ZDSE was 3 & 12 ohm out iirc. Not sure if that changed with the ZDS though.
Hi @streamline I have to say I don't remember. Going by memory, I had the original Zana Deux which did not have a switch. I enquired with Craig Uthus about how to make it into the ZDSE and found a local modder in Japan who could tweak it based on some instructions I got from Craig. So AFAIK it should really be more akin to the ZDSE output.

--- cut here ---
Pin 3,6 on the octal socket are the cathodes. The resistors going to the cathode in series with the electrolytic cap to the output are the feedback resistors. You need to put a 1K ohm resistor in parallel with each resistor this will give you the L setting on the ZD SE.

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎August‎ ‎24‎, ‎2013 ‎8‎:‎42‎ ‎AM
To: <Craig's E-Mail>
Subject: Zana Deux from 12 ohm to 3 ohm: resistor change?

Hi Craig,

I picked up the Zana Deux a couple of months ago. I'd like to have the Output Impedance changed to 3 ohm to be similar to the ZDSE of which in my prior conversations with you, you mentioned it's possible with the change of some resistors. Could you please let me know what resistors I should change and what values please?

I've attached a picture of where I'm guessing where the work needs to be performed and highlighted in green what I think is the negative feedback, and assume it's along that path of where the resistor change has to occur.

Please advise.
--- cut here ---

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #2,594 of 2,605
Hello friends,

Just another new proud owner stopping by :),

Only just received less than a week and haven't had a real sit down with it but just initial impressions right off the bat being that it is an endgame pairing with the HD800s and really helps them come alive.

I also have Utopias but unfortunately the cable is terminated to XLR. Need to get an adapter for 6.35mm ASAP haha, I'm being teased as I know they pair exceptionally too. Used to run them off Auralic Taurus MK2 (still love that SS amp to this day and don't think I'll part with it anytime soon).

Its an original Zana Deux with no L/H switch (#40). I'm like the 4th, 5th owner, its had quite the journey around Australia. Getting on in age but still works like a charm. Was given a ton of 6SL7 tubes. Picked up a GE-RCA 5691 redbase that should be coming in next week but not sure what else to get. This is my first dive into tubes.

Not sure if I have any real keepers here, these were all included with the purchase.

I'll report back when I'm more accustomed to the sound and not just giddy with new toy syndrome, though I have a feeling I will be contempt with no further desire to upgrade.

277193169_554113822515257_7650403254436583843_n.jpg277029937_730615404763056_1211388500318294243_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #2,595 of 2,605
Hello friends,

Just another new proud owner stopping by :),

Only just received less than a week and haven't had a real sit down with it but just initial impressions right off the bat being that it is an endgame pairing with the HD800s and really helps them come alive.

I also have Utopias but unfortunately the cable is terminated to XLR. Need to get an adapter for 6.35mm ASAP haha, I'm being teased as I know they pair exceptionally too. Used to run them off Auralic Taurus MK2 (still love that SS amp to this day and don't think I'll part with it anytime soon).

Its an original Zana Deux with no L/H switch (#40). I'm like the 4th, 5th owner, its had quite the journey around Australia. Getting on in age but still works like a charm. Was given a ton of 6SL7 tubes. Not sure if any here are highly sought after. Picked up a GE-RCA 5691 redbase that should be coming in next week but not sure what else to get. This is my first dive into tubes.

Not sure if I have any real keepers here, these were all included with the purchase.

I'll report back when I'm more accustomed to the sound and not just giddy with new toy syndrome, though I have a feeling I will be contempt with no further desire to upgrade.

277193169_554113822515257_7650403254436583843_n.jpg277029937_730615404763056_1211388500318294243_n.jpg
Might have been mine which I sold about 7 years back. I had got it second hand and not sure the age of the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back