Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,637 of 2,605
That's a downside? It is when you realize that 99% of headphone amps don't come close in those regards-yes. That's part of the EC magic imo-along with the blackground, microdetail, astounding dynamics/microdynamics.

Bob-you should listen to Brothers in Arms (the song), and Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley). I've heard these songs hundreds of times on many rigs-they always sounded excellent. Listen to them on the ZDSE/HD800, they sound downright haunting, nearly bringing you to tears with the emotion that's revealed-that's where the Zana puts almost everything else to shame-even other high end tube amps...ime.

-Daniel

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #1,638 of 2,605
Thank-you for the suggestions Daniel. I have Dire Straits and will put that into rotation again. It has been a long time since I last listened to that one. Which Jeff Buckley album has the Hallelujah to which you refer?

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,640 of 2,605
His only studio album before he took a midnight swim in the Mississippi, never to return-Grace.

Most of Dire Straits is VERY well mastered too-very entertaining on the HD800s. Not sure if you're into any more modern alternative rock, but I also find Radiohead extremely well mastered and unbelievable on the Senns.

-Daniel

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,641 of 2,605
Grace, Jeff Buckley, on its way.

Wycliffe Gordon's Dreams of New Orleans is spooky in realistic sense of space. Recorded in a very large, reverberant space with a Neumann KU100 'Fritz' head by David Chesky. A very fine binaural microphone system and recording engineer. The musicians are spectacular while having fun with this non-traditional recording approach.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,642 of 2,605
Nice Bob-hope you enjoy that. I'll have to check out that Chesky album. I bought the Amber Rubarth one-but unfortunately that was after I sold the ZDSE. Keep us posted on your ongoing impressions of this special amp!

-Daniel

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,643 of 2,605
Okay, the jump from stock Tung Sol to TS BGRP was nice...now you have me excited to roll the Mullard ECC35. (ECC35 is not my favorite in the BA, will be great if it is fantastic in the Zana.)
I think I only have three 6SL7s.  Thanks for the advice here.  Zana sounds as special as it looks- finally have one in-house and am loving it!

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,645 of 2,605
Hi Daniel,

Cheers, I am VERY happy to finally pick up a Zana and truly enjoy it.  So far, my early thoughts are that the Super 7 (pre-order version that I had and modded) was more linear and accurate while the Zana has more of the "holographic" feel of the BA and some sweet/fun color.  Zana would be more fun to keep long term over the Super 7 for me.  The BA retains better balance and sound presentation at really low volumes compared to the Zana (that I can tell so far with a couple of driver tubes).  Might be the Penny and Giles pot in the BA or the topology in the Zana that makes the Zana "wake up" with higher volume? Or the tubes?  I haven't even rolled the Mullard in the Zana yet, should be fun.  Will need to compare against different output tubes in the BA as well.  I can say right now that I do NOT plan on selling the Zana and I think used Zanas are steals, new Zanas are great deals.  Zana is best looker of the three too.  (This one has the front dress plate and grey top.) 

I may be loaning it out long term, so I will compare more impressions with all of yours as I am able to form mine.  I'm not under pressure right now to compare as I plan on keeping both if I can...
bigsmile_face.gif

It may be easier for me to hold onto the Zana long term because I know how good it is compared to the BA.  If I started as a Zana owner, I might wonder "this Zana sounds SO good that I wonder what that BA must be like"!  (That thought probably brought a few people to sell their Zanas.) Both of these amps, however, are at the kind of level that I really love and want for my "beautiful" home rig.

Please share your impressions of the Zana vs. BA  or could you point me to where you have seen some of those posts? 

Thanks!
C

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,646 of 2,605
Thanks Cee Tee. Glad you are discovering the magic that is the Zana. What is the 'front dress plate' on it you referred to? Do you have the original Zana, or the SE with the low impedance switch? It's been a long time since I've read the BA vs Zana w/ HD800 posts, but off the top of my head I believe HPA and Uncle Erik made comments about it iirc. A few others too, but others prefer the BA as well of course. I'm sure some of those posts are in this thread, or the ECBA and HD800 (original, locked) threads.

Side note-I can't believe Mr. Sneis' Zana is still in the FS forums at that ridiculous price. I'd by it in a second if my funds weren't all tied up in other projects right now. :/

-Daniel

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,647 of 2,605
^Exactly...Sneis' Zana was what I was thinking about when I said these can be a "steal" used.  I will re-read the Zana threads for all of the pertinent info, especially tubes if I need to work on something in the sound.

Mine is OTL, no Hi/Lo switch and no cap upgrades, but 6D22S rectifiers, and the front plate is polished like the top of the BA plus it uses the same knobs as the two on the BA (beside the volume pot).

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,648 of 2,605
  If you like the Brimar Dallan-you might really like the Sophia. I never went back to the Brimar after getting the S.E. The bass impact and quantity was much better than the Brimar, and the dynamics, clarity, and soundstage increased too.My one complaint was that the bass was a little too much at times, and covered up a bit of the lower mids imo. That said-it was the first tube that allowed me to fully enjoy the ZDSE/HD800 with rock/pop. My .02.

-Daniel

I felt like i went thru a lot of tubes for a while but it was before anyone was talking about the Sophia.  Sounds great, you don't have a link to a decent seller do you?

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #1,650 of 2,605
  ^Exactly...Sneis' Zana was what I was thinking about when I said these can be a "steal" used.  I will re-read the Zana threads for all of the pertinent info, especially tubes if I need to work on something in the sound.

Mine is OTL, no Hi/Lo switch and no cap upgrades, but 6D22S rectifiers, and the front plate is polished like the top of the BA plus it uses the same knobs as the two on the BA (beside the volume pot).

C!

Congratulations on the ZDSE... and thanks for letting me buy your original prospect.
A year later it becomes yours. Let me know if you need any interesting tubes, I got some in the stash...

Cheers,
V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back