Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Dec 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,666 of 2,605
Thank-you songmic and CEE TEE for your respective views on the M51 and PWD paired with the Zana Deux. Not too much out there on the V800 and ZDSE. A local head-fier has the PWD. Hoping to compare at a meet in the near future. Listening to the V800 / ZDSE / HD800 and asking myself what is missing. Bass, mids and treble all balanced. Transients have the correct sense of speed. Music appears out of a deeply silent background. Sense of space, 3-D, air around instruments all sound amazing. Maybe I have found a point of diminishing returns. Best sign is that I spend more time listening to the library and less time tweaking now.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,667 of 2,605

Got a new camera, nothing special but nice to play around with and this is a good thing to take a pict of…...
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #1,669 of 2,605
The Zana is so visually striking. I always enjoy pics the that amp!

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #1,672 of 2,605
thought i would ask here as i am looking for informed suggestions...
i have looked into getting my first tube amp for a while and decided upon ED offerings (mainly super 7 and zana deux se)
and now i am ready to for a zana deux se from craig;

is the P&G pots upgrade advisable?
also , how do the P&G pots improve the performance of the amp?

do i need to get some 'spare' tubes from criag?

what other upgrades should i ask for when ordering the ZD se ?

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,673 of 2,605
Craig told me that the P&G pot upgrade was barely a noticeable upgrade, and he mainly offers it because others wanted a better pot for the sake of, uh, a better pot. The stock pot on the ZDSE has been somewhat notorious for being noisy though, so that may be enough incentive for you. Mine was noisy at the very bottom of the range-but not anywhere else where I was usually listening at (9-12).

The stock driver tube is garbage-but comes with the amp and is nice to use while burning it in for a couple hundred hours. :wink: Either way-buy a better 6sl7 right away. I don't think swapping the power tubes or rectifiers are supposed to change the sound very much based on reports-I never did.

Order the black top plate option-it just looks better:

-Daniel

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #1,674 of 2,605
I have the standard pot on a ZD, the P&G on the BA.  I do not know what the difference between stock/P&G sounds like as I got both of them that way.

The P&G sweep <feels> fantastic to use, but for the ZD and with resale values- it seems that the ZD with standard pot makes better sense.

To put it this way, I love having the P&G on the BA but do not think that I will be upgrading the pot on the ZD.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,676 of 2,605
*edit*
is the P&G pots upgrade advisable?
also , how do the P&G pots improve the performance of the amp?

do i need to get some 'spare' tubes from criag?

I opted for the P&G pot upgrade. It is a sealed component whereas the standard pot is open. I live in an area where salt air can cause oxidation in open frame potentiometers. So a sealed component is less likely to become noisy over time, in my area.

So far the only tube with which I have experimented is the 6SL7 and currently a Sophia Electric is in that spot. Enjoying the amp in this configuration.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #1,677 of 2,605
thanks for the replies...

i am leaning towards getting the p&g pots , as once i have something i tend to hold onto it (rather than  letting it go)

also i like the all black look of the zana deux;
looks like it will fit in better...

+ the other thing can also use the ZDse as a pre-amp for my denon avr-a1sra...

[edit]
Order the black top plate option-it just looks better:
[edit]
-Daniel

does the black plate still have the EC badge/logo on the top ?

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #1,678 of 2,605
In case anyone's interested... As much as I hate doing it. My ZDSE is up for sale. It's a 110V-version, residing in Sweden.

Cheers,
V

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,679 of 2,605
  In case anyone's interested... As much as I hate doing it. My ZDSE is up for sale. It's a 110V-version, residing in Sweden.

Cheers,
V

Out of curiosity, may I ask why you are selling it? Are you upgrading to a better amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back