Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Aug 5, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,861 of 2,605
This is one of the few amps that pairs extremely well with both the Audeze and HD800 signatures. However, the ZD with the X is sensational - a very musical and emotional pairing. I typically hear my 2.2 or his 3 on my friend's unit, but the X is my favorite pairing from the family, a new addition of his. Just heard the new ZD paired with my 2.2 and it from memory seems to be a step up again.

Really agree with you. I noticed that the LCD-X pairs very well with OTLs.

I would also pinpoint the new ortho from Kennerton, the Odin. Less dull, bass impacted.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,863 of 2,605
  This is one of the few amps that pairs extremely well with both the Audeze and HD800 signatures. However, the ZD with the X is sensational - a very musical and emotional pairing. I typically hear my 2.2 or his 3 on my friend's unit, but the X is my favorite pairing from the family, a new addition of his. Just heard the new ZD paired with my 2.2 and it from memory seems to be a step up again.

So are you going to keep the ZD Super? In my NSHO, I would enjoy any version of the EC ZanaDeux as the best pure tube OTL implementation available.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,864 of 2,605
I'm looking for my first tube amp. First I attempted to go to woo wa6 or 6-se. But then I found zana deux...

I know it's not the same price class but is the zana really much better?

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,865 of 2,605
I'm looking for my first tube amp. First I attempted to go to woo wa6 or 6-se. But then I found zana deux...

I own the two.
Definitely buy the Zana. No question. And you'll notice that it will improve with time.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,866 of 2,605
I had a 6SE in the house on loan (with a bunch of tubes) for a while and kept comparing it to the headphone amp of the Benchmark DAC and did not find much difference.

The Zana Deux, on the other hand, does impart some character that we find very pleasing. I was able to buy my original Zana Deux (non-SE version) back just this week. I'm looking forward to comparing with Black Widow (which is fantastic, BTW).

It's hard to get rid of good amps and not miss them. But I am gonna try to stay at 3-4 great amps and no more. :wink:

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,867 of 2,605

So are you going to keep the ZD Super? In my NSHO, I would enjoy any version of the EC ZanaDeux as the best pure tube OTL implementation available.

As soon as the kids are a bit older. It was a challenge keeping them away from the demo - had to lock them out of my office. However, I am really missing it so it may not be too long.

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #1,868 of 2,605

Great to hear, I just bought the LCD-X. But I'd be hard pressed to believe that the Zana doesn't match well with allmost anything, it's an incredible OTL amp. It sounds magical with the Senns, Denon/Fostex and ATs I have or had.

Zana. The sound is simply magical to my ears, hard to regret a purchase like that. And it's actually not expensive for what it is: a totl otl amp.

I had a 6SE in the house on loan (with a bunch of tubes) for a while and kept comparing it to the headphone amp of the Benchmark DAC and did not find much difference.

The Zana Deux, on the other hand, does impart some character that we find very pleasing. I was able to buy my original Zana Deux (non-SE version) back just this week. I'm looking forward to comparing with Black Widow (which is fantastic, BTW).

It's hard to get rid of good amps and not miss them. But I am gonna try to stay at 3-4 great amps and no more.
wink.gif

Wouldn't mind your opinion on how the BW sounds, a SS am from Craig sounds intriguing.
I'm still hoping to hear someones opinion on the Zana vs BA as well. It's the only other amp I actually still consider buying in the future. As a supplement to the Zana though, not a replacement!

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,869 of 2,605

Wouldn't mind your opinion on how the BW sounds, a SS am from Craig sounds intriguing.
I'm still hoping to hear someones opinion on the Zana vs BA as well. It's the only other amp I actually still consider buying in the future. As a supplement to the Zana though, not a replacement!

Craig loaned me his Black Widow demo unit which arrived last night and I am listening to it right now. Still trying to wrap my head around the sound, but I can say it sounds awesome. Compared to my Mjolnir, it is much more musical and enjoyable providing the same impact, but without the aggressiveness and brightness that becomes apparent in a direct comparison. The sound is smoother and easier on the ears like a tube amp, but the clarity and speed are SS. I have not heard the Four45 personally, but it sounds like the description that I hear of it.

I just sent back the demo new version ZD so this is not a direct comparison, but the ZD as you would expect is a different beast and a definite step up, but it is a big step up in price too. Unfortunately for me, the tube amp is too much of a temptation for my 1 and 4 year old forcing me to lock them out of my office where the BW is easy to keep discreet. The high end and separate power supply seems to be the same one that is used with the ZD and is probably a good portion of the BW's SQ magic as it does sound really good. So far, I am just listening to SE, but will try balanced later today to see if I can hear further SQ improvements.

Feel free to ask questions if you are interested in knowing more. I will probably take this discussion to the BW impressions thread though.

Listening Chain:

itunes > optical > Havana 2 tube DAC > BW > LCD2.2/HD700

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,871 of 2,605
Just started a BW impressions thread to discuss the BW.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777009/eddie-current-black-widow-solid-state-headphone-amp-impressions-thread

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,872 of 2,605
thanks for your impressions!
2 questions:
SE input only I guess?
Did you try it with low impedance cans or iems?

Yes, only SE inputs. Will include pictures in the other thread showing back and front as well as the separate power supply and its enormous connection cable.

I will be trying with my Hidition NT6pros CIEMs later today that will check the noise level, but they are not supper low impedance like the JH16s. However, on the ZD the CIEMs sounded stellar. The Hiditions scale very well and the ZD made them shine.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,875 of 2,605
@AppleheadMay ,  @cladane 

Hello!  I was wondering about a Zana Deux for a new amp in the not too distant future and as a fellow European (UK)  I was wondering about your experience of importing the amp - it obviously looks like a seriously heavy and large piece of equipment - was shipping + tax + customs duty very bad ?

I Currently own the HD-650 + Bottlehead Crack   and Woo WA7+WA7tp with LCD-2(fazors)s  and looking for an amplifier that will work extremely well with both of those headphones.  Since I wasn't sure if OTLs were best for the Audezes I was looking first at the Balancing Act, but since experiencing the magic of OTL with the Crack I'm now very drawn to the ZD  :)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, 

Jeb. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back