Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jul 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,846 of 2,605

While I like many genres of music, jazz is my favorite and I spend a lot of time listening to it. Maybe smooth isn't the best choice of words, but when listening to jazz, everything sounds just right with the Sophia 6SL7. Not edgy unless the music is edgy (such as a particular sax solo).

Here are a few pictures of my Sylvania 6SL7. It probably looks like all the rest. It does sound as if transients from snare hits have a bit more snap, for example. 85% of my listening has the Sophia in the amp, and 10% the 1952 Sylvania and 5% everything else. I agree that the Sophia is one great 6SL7 for most of my listening. I bought several from the same production run.

Thanks Atomicbob.
I haven't had much time to try tubes lately and also my GS-X came in which takes some time experimenting with balanced as well.
I'm currently still playinf iwt the Philips ECG JAN 6SL7WGT I got from Craig which is so much better than the stock Tung-Sol 6SL7GT.
Have you tried a TS 6SU7 yet and if so which type? How did it compare to the Sophia?

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #1,847 of 2,605

Hello again,

I've just gone back thru your posts to discover you pleased with the Yggy.  

Our Tyll is about to have a nice go with a large number of confusing variables in his 2015 Event, including stuff you own, owned and love, it seems.

All this makes nice reading.

I'd like a superb DAC so I'm following along. 

Never heard of the MSD192 for under $500, hmm, a definite maybe.   

But, why not just Pop for the Yggy?,  it is quite large though, I wish it would fit in my pocket but a person has to compromise every now and then!, doesn't one? 

Headphones are direct access so I suppose it's ok to Equalize them.  I do anyway to great result ( I feel ). Floyd Toole seems to agree, if that means anything! 

I consider guys like you and Toole to be the higher authorities and am happy to benefit from all your published works and findings.  I sort of coast along in your wake, I get smooth sailing.  I owe you! 

I acquire about 10 to 20 CDs every week now.  My little ODAC - Equalizer - Schiit Asgard 2 - HD580s  result in the most thrilling musical system I've ever owned.  I'm not getting tired of it. I don't feel a craving for better.  In fact I love my little system.  Thanks for all your guidance and help. 
You built confidence in me.  My new recorded musics are delightful.  

Bon Voyage,

Tony in Michigan

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,848 of 2,605

Thanks Atomicbob.
I haven't had much time to try tubes lately and also my GS-X came in which takes some time experimenting with balanced as well.
I'm currently still playinf iwt the Philips ECG JAN 6SL7WGT I got from Craig which is so much better than the stock Tung-Sol 6SL7GT.
Have you tried a TS 6SU7 yet and if so which type? How did it compare to the Sophia?

I haven't heard a TS 6SU7. On my (rather long) list of things to do when past the current corporate push. I must say that if I never progressed beyond the Sophia I don't think my musical enjoyment would feel the least bit diminished. The problem with the Yggdrasil Zana Deux combination is that much time can be "lost" suddenly while one is enjoying the library. My library is expanding all the time since the resurrection of my interest in recreational listening, which is in part from the availability of such extraordinary sound systems today.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,849 of 2,605

Hello again,

I've just gone back thru your posts to discover you pleased with the Yggy.  

Our Tyll is about to have a nice go with a large number of confusing variables in his 2015 Event, including stuff you own, owned and love, it seems.

All this makes nice reading.

I'd like a superb DAC so I'm following along. 

Never heard of the MSD192 for under $500, hmm, a definite maybe.   

But, why not just Pop for the Yggy?,  it is quite large though, I wish it would fit in my pocket but a person has to compromise every now and then!, doesn't one? 

Headphones are direct access so I suppose it's ok to Equalize them.  I do anyway to great result ( I feel ). Floyd Toole seems to agree, if that means anything! 

I consider guys like you and Toole to be the higher authorities and am happy to benefit from all your published works and findings.  I sort of coast along in your wake, I get smooth sailing.  I owe you! 

I acquire about 10 to 20 CDs every week now.  My little ODAC - Equalizer - Schiit Asgard 2 - HD580s  result in the most thrilling musical system I've ever owned.  I'm not getting tired of it. I don't feel a craving for better.  In fact I love my little system.  Thanks for all your guidance and help. 
You built confidence in me.  My new recorded musics are delightful.  

Bon Voyage,

Tony in Michigan

Hi Tony,

You really should give the MSD192 a listen. I have both heard and measured the difference between it and the ODAC. The bass is very much improved (less time smearing) on the MSD192. One can see from the jitter spectrum the improvement as well. The HD580 is indeed a great headphone and one I spent many years with. My 580 is still in service with my middle son with a Woo WA3+. The HD650 from years ago was disappointing to my ears but the recent production builds do not sound at all like those of years ago.  Listening to one right now with the MSD192 and Garage1217 Project Sunrise III. This my parallel second system (along with the BottleHead Crack); second only to the Ygg + Zana Deux.

Like you my library is expanding at an accelerated rate due to such great recreational sound systems.

-AB

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,850 of 2,605

Hello there,

With what tool do you Equalize ??

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #1,851 of 2,605
  I haven't heard a TS 6SU7. On my (rather long) list of things to do when past the current corporate push. I must say that if I never progressed beyond the Sophia I don't think my musical enjoyment would feel the least bit diminished. The problem with the Yggdrasil Zana Deux combination is that much time can be "lost" suddenly while one is enjoying the library. My library is expanding all the time since the resurrection of my interest in recreational listening, which is in part from the availability of such extraordinary sound systems today.

You should really try some ECC35s out. I personally think its a refined Sophia, clearly a step up in terms of overall sound, really worth a shoot not just for collection sake.

@AppleheadMay
Raw quality wise, eg detail, sound stage, imaging, Sophia should edge out the black TS 6su7, but its the warmth and intimacy, a tad special tonality thats making the 6SU7 special. But still of course is all subject to preference. You can try out the TS clear glass and let me know the results too!

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,853 of 2,605
Keep in mind the new Super Zana is supposed to sound more neutral and less euphonic than the classic ZDSE. Just to make sure everyone's on the same page, especially those considering purchasing.

That's a bit of a shame... Considering the original ZD/ZDSE strives from its euphony, while still sounding fairly neutral with the right tubes. It's not the most dead nuts neutral amp I've heard, but I'd never categorize it warm or bright.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #1,854 of 2,605
It sounded fantastic with the HD650's at the meet Saturday.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,855 of 2,605
That's a bit of a shame... Considering the original ZD/ZDSE strives from its euphony, while still sounding fairly neutral with the right tubes. It's not the most dead nuts neutral amp I've heard, but I'd never categorize it warm or bright.

Noooo!! EC, dont subconsciously stereotype your amps converging all into sounding more and more like EC445!!
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,858 of 2,605
Being away from home for two weeks, and returning to the ZD (original SE), I forgot all about the musical bliss this thing is capable of. It's truly a dream amp. Guitar/vocals/bass... everything sounds very effing fantastic. I would love to hear some other EC amps... maybe the BW. Anyone have a chance to compare the original ZD to the BW, with HD-650's?

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,860 of 2,605
Subs. How is this amp pairing with LCD-X?

This is one of the few amps that pairs extremely well with both the Audeze and HD800 signatures. However, the ZD with the X is sensational - a very musical and emotional pairing. I typically hear my 2.2 or his 3 on my friend's unit, but the X is my favorite pairing from the family, a new addition of his. Just heard the new ZD paired with my 2.2 and it from memory seems to be a step up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back