Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jul 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,831 of 2,605
Thanks. I don't have the Mullards but do have a few 6SU7 around, both black and lear glass, both brown bases.
I used to have a Valvo a few years ago but don't have it anymore.

By any chance, does anybody still have the email address of that Vietnalmese guy from NATubes lying around? I believe his name was Tanh but can't find anything back in my old mails.

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,832 of 2,605
  One tube that I highly recommend ZD owners is the tungsol black glass brown base 6SU7GT. This is a magical tube, detail is not its strongest suit, in fact it may sound slightly veiled in some music but the mids to the upper bass is the most alluring of all my collection. I enjoy it a lot using it with my W3000 and AD2000, with the right music, it works wonders, and I am being serious that it conveys emotion and smoothness that draws me into quite a few music even the best of Mullards cant do.

Much appreciated advice @meraias - I will have to seek out those tubes :)

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,834 of 2,605
I happen to think the Yggdrasil is a very good source for the Zana Deux. I am going to stay with this setup for quite some time. Also have an Auralic Vega on input 2, both level matched. Listening is approximately 75% / 25% between the Ygg / Vega.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,835 of 2,605
  Im thinking about purchasing this amp with some closed headphones TH900 and the W3000. 

What are some DACs that pairs well with this amp?

The amp pairs very well with these phones, but so it did with just about any other phones I owned.
I enjoy it with both dacs I have atm: Marantz HD-DAC1 and Marantz NA-11S1. 
With the NA11 the sound is smoother though, I prefer that one.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #1,837 of 2,605

The amp pairs very well with these phones, but so it did with just about any other phones I owned.

Yup agreed! also depends on what tube you use it with, and hence your taste for tubes.

@preproman
If you are that sort of guy who thinks "detail & transparency rules all !!!!" then ZD prob wont be your cup of tea : )
ZD is more about its euphony and musicality despite being half ss.
Speaking of euphony, I personally still felt that the WA5 is still the all-time euphony king, very musical and smooth sounding, just a lot more warm sounding, you should check that out too if that fits your taste, but they are quite on a different price bracket for that.
Didn't get to test extensively but Im guessing ZD will fit a wider range of music.

What are some DACs that pairs well with this amp?

eheh not sure, If more of the same good is Great ! at a more attainable price, maybe the Metrum Hex will sync very well?
and lol, you own an excellent DAC the D1-dual... that will prob work with just anything lol, great one mate, envyyyyy!!!

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #1,838 of 2,605
Thanks @meraias 

I'm wont be looking for transparency out this rig.  I have the GS-X mk2 / Bricasti M1 / HD800 for that. 
biggrin.gif
  This rig will be in a different location and mainly for hip hop / Rap type of music -  that's why the need for a different DAC.  

The Yggdrasil / Zana might just be the ticket per @atomicbob.   

I don't want to break the bank on this rig so the WA5 is out the budget.  I didn't know the Zana was half SS (Hybrid)  - is that correct?  Here I thought is was an OTL amp or something.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,839 of 2,605
  Thanks @meraias 

I'm wont be looking for transparency out this rig.  I have the GS-X mk2 / Bricasti M1 / HD800 for that. 
biggrin.gif
  This rig will be in a different location and mainly for hip hop / Rap type of music -  that's why the need for a different DAC.  

The Yggdrasil / Zana might just be the ticket per @atomicbob.   

I don't want to break the bank on this rig so the WA5 is out the budget.  I didn't know the Zana was half SS (Hybrid)  - is that correct?  Here I thought is was an OTL amp or something.

I have heard many headphones on the BA, 2A3mkIV and ZDSE. I bought the ZDSE. My personal preferences are OTL over Transformer outputs. My favorite headphones on the Yggdrasil / ZDSE are HD800, TH900 and HD650. Others will choose differently.

The ZanaDeux is definitely NOT a HYBRID. The rectifiers are 6D22S, preamp voltage gain is a 6SL7 and power comes from the 6C33C-B output tubes. The sound can be changed with different 6SL7 and to a lesser degree with different 6D22S. Smoother sound with a Sophia Electric 6SL7 while considerably more transient attack with a 1952 Sylvania 6SL7.

There are OTL hybrids such as the Garage1217 Project Sunrise III which can be configured to use almost anything from 6SN7 to 12AU7 and 12BH7 for voltage gain and a mosfet for Class A OTL output. This is my current favorite hybrid amp when used with a linear power supply. With a Mousai MSD192 I can make the TH900 really hit your head clear and hard for techno. electronica etc. But the Ygg / ZDSE has a bit more dimensionality in my opinion, albeit much more of an investment, yet not uber $$$$ like some rigs. And I've heard those too. My budget allows me to own those if I wish. I own the Ygg / ZDSE. And the MSD192 / PS-III. Also a BH Crack which is just a plain fun amp for recreational listening but wouldn't be suitable for the TH900.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,840 of 2,605
  I have heard many headphones on the BA, 2A3mkIV and ZDSE. I bought the ZDSE. My personal preferences are OTL over Transformer outputs. My favorite headphones on the Yggdrasil / ZDSE are HD800, TH900 and HD650. Others will choose differently.

The ZanaDeux is definitely NOT a HYBRID. The rectifiers are 6D22S, preamp voltage gain is a 6SL7 and power comes from the 6C33C-B output tubes. The sound can be changed with different 6SL7 and to a lesser degree with different 6D22S. Smoother sound with a Sophia Electric 6SL7 while considerably more transient attack with a 1952 Sylvania 6SL7.

There are OTL hybrids such as the Garage1217 Project Sunrise III which can be configured to use almost anything from 6SN7 to 12AU7 and 12BH7 for voltage gain and a mosfet for Class A OTL output. This is my current favorite hybrid amp when used with a linear power supply. With a Mousai MSD192 I can make the TH900 really hit your head clear and hard for techno. electronica etc. But the Ygg / ZDSE has a bit more dimensionality in my opinion, albeit much more of an investment, yet not uber $$$$ like some rigs. And I've heard those too. My budget allows me to own those if I wish. I own the Ygg / ZDSE. And the MSD192 / PS-III. Also a BH Crack which is just a plain fun amp for recreational listening but wouldn't be suitable for the TH900.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the BA vs ZDSE with the TH900? Haven't found any opinions on both those amps with these cans yet.
I have the ZDSE and use it with the same cans. I would never sell it (made that mistake once already) to get a BA but am considering adding a BA in the future.

You find the Sophia rather smooth? I have it but haven't tried it yet. Which tube do you prefer for clarity and detail?
I have a bunch already but am busy trying to source some rare ones back I had in the past. I do have the 6SU7 brown base in both black and clear glass as well.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,841 of 2,605

Ops sorry, must be either my head or er.. my fat fingers. : )
I got a pair of nice Russian 6C33C-B's and found it making the sound less veiled than the stock, could be my imagination.
I can vouch for ZD with TH900 also as per atomicbob!!

Can you elaborate the looks of your 1952 Sylvania 6SL7? The only sylvania I own is a brown base 6sl7wgt chrome top (nothing high-end), and the sophia 6sl7 is a lot better almost in every way including detail and stage and lower frequency stretch, the punch in Sophia is better too as far as I heard.

am considering adding a BA in the future.

Not thinking of the WA5? kihihi...
and you should really give the 6su7 a swing, its smoother than the sophia, let me know what you think.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,842 of 2,605
I got a pair of nice Russian 6C33C-B's and found it making the sound less veiled than the stock, could be my imagination.

Can you elaborate the looks of your 1952 Sylvania 6SL7? The only sylvania I own is a brown base 6sl7wgt chrome top (nothing high-end), and the sophia 6sl7 is a lot better almost in every way including detail and stage and lower frequency stretch, the punch in Sophia is better too as far as I heard.

and you should really give the 6su7 a swing, its smoother than the sophia, let me know what you think.

Nope, as far as I can tell from reading others opinions and comparisons the Woo amps have a more lush, warm, tubey sound. I became a bit of a fan of the EC brand, like the sound, like the looks. So I won't be tossing money at amps I think might not be my taste. Can't try them all. :wink:

I heard the 6SU7 before with my previous Zana. Great tube indeed but my sound preferences seem to have shifted. I seem to be going for clarity, transparency and detail  nowadays. Anyone have recommendations for tubes that emphasize that.
For the moment I have a JAN 6SL7WGT Philips ECG in it that Craig added in the package instead of a second standard Tung-Sol 6SL7GT. Sounds a lot better, pretty pleased with this tube but still have to try out many others.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #1,843 of 2,605
  Nope, as far as I can tell from reading others opinions and comparisons the Woo amps have a more lush, warm, tubey sound. I became a bit of a fan of the EC brand, like the sound, like the looks. So I won't be tossing money at amps I think might not be my taste. Can't try them all. :wink:

I heard the 6SU7 before with my previous Zana. Great tube indeed but my sound preferences seem to have shifted. I seem to be going for clarity, transparency and detail  nowadays. Anyone have recommendations for tubes that emphasize that.
For the moment I have a JAN 6SL7WGT Philips ECG in it that Craig added in the package instead of a second standard Tung-Sol 6SL7GT. Sounds a lot better, pretty pleased with this tube but still have to try out many others.

eheh. Alright.
Im talking about the 'NEW' WA5-LE though if you hadn't heard.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,845 of 2,605

Could you elaborate a bit more on the BA vs ZDSE with the TH900? Haven't found any opinions on both those amps with these cans yet.
I have the ZDSE and use it with the same cans. I would never sell it (made that mistake once already) to get a BA but am considering adding a BA in the future.

You find the Sophia rather smooth? I have it but haven't tried it yet. Which tube do you prefer for clarity and detail?
I have a bunch already but am busy trying to source some rare ones back I had in the past. I do have the 6SU7 brown base in both black and clear glass as well.

While I like many genres of music, jazz is my favorite and I spend a lot of time listening to it. Maybe smooth isn't the best choice of words, but when listening to jazz, everything sounds just right with the Sophia 6SL7. Not edgy unless the music is edgy (such as a particular sax solo).

Here are a few pictures of my Sylvania 6SL7. It probably looks like all the rest. It does sound as if transients from snare hits have a bit more snap, for example. 85% of my listening has the Sophia in the amp, and 10% the 1952 Sylvania and 5% everything else. I agree that the Sophia is one great 6SL7 for most of my listening. I bought several from the same production run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back