Ebay Germany: Return of an Orpheus Sale
May 24, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #46 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
I got a reply from him and he told me he is willing to ship to america! I need to pay for extra shipping but im still happy he even replied. Cant wait to get this!

So you're the one who bought it
orphsmile.gif

May 24, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #47 of 88
Make sure you post when it arrives (hopefully it will) and also post some pics.

If it all works out for you there's going to be some really sorry head fiers.

They are going to be kicking themselves for missing out!

May 24, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #50 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis
As someone who still retains a small bit of their sanity, $8000 for a pair of headphones is not a good price. Can these really be worth the extra $7000 over an RS-1 and a nice amp?

The Orpheus is in a completelly different class than the RS-1, plugged in he best amp in the world...you will never come even close to the Orpehus using the RS-1.

May 24, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #51 of 88
Quote:

I got a reply from him and he told me he is willing to ship to america! I need to pay for extra shipping but im still happy he even replied. Cant wait to get this!

Congrads, man! Glad at least someone on Head-fi got them. Please do follow up on the progress of the trade, wish you all the best!

Now, time to bump my own WTB tread.
tongue.gif

May 24, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #53 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
The Orpheus is in a completelly different class than the RS-1, plugged in he best amp in the world...you will never come even close to the Orpehus using the RS-1.

Hirsch doesn't seem to agree with this assertion. While he doesn't have an Orpheus system, he's heard it many times, yet still seems to think that the balanced RS-1's out of the Single Power SDS-XLR is as good as it gets. I haven't heard that exact combo myself, but with his same amp the balanced HD650's came to life like I've never heard them before. So I don't really doubt him. Not that Hirsch "knows" everything, but he's a very experienced headphone user, and my impressions do tend to align with his for the most part.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make it that the RS-1's just might surprise you in the right system. Of course, this is running them balanced and paired with an absolute mega amp, but your statement seems to allow for this. All I'm pointing out is that other informed opinions may differ.

BTW, the balanced RS-1's with the SDS-XLR would bump you up well past $8,000, so I guess it ought to get you to Orpheus level.

May 24, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #54 of 88
hey guys. So I made him set up a paypal account so i can be covered with more protection. He said hes new to it so i will take him a day or so to set up. Ill show pics of my new rig when it gets here. Hopefully Justin can finish the Aristaues soon so i can compare it to the hev70. Ill also share my impressions with the he90 vs he60 vs omega II. Needless to say I can't wait to get my whole rig set up!

May 24, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #55 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Wow for a little more you'd be able to get a pair of used Avantgarde Duo speakers; thats my dream
tongue.gif

After hearing them, there is absolutely no way any headphone system could compete with that.

$8000 on a headphone system is a little silly

Not when the resale value inflates in the next few years
smily_headphones1.gif
besides, at this price its a steal either way...

I also think no speaker system in the world can compete with the detail and dynamics of this headphone. JMO

May 24, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #56 of 88
The escrow idea mentioned is a good one. Though, it may be a bit late to agree to these terms. I would try to contact him by phone, if I were you. Just get a germany calling card, I mean for an $8000 item you want all the reassurance you can get.

Unless of course $8k isn't that much to you.
biggrin.gif
Which may be the case, but still...yikes.
smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats and good luck with the sale.

May 24, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Actually i think no speaker system in the world can compete with the detail and dynamics of this headphone. JMO

Agreed, if this setup is as listed, you got a great deal!! Better than anything most will yield from a speaker setup, I never heard back from the seller on either my questions ...hope it all works out, be sure to post impressions after fully deployed
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #58 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Wow for a little more you'd be able to get a pair of used Avantgarde Duo speakers; thats my dream
tongue.gif

After hearing them, there is absolutely no way any headphone system could compete with that.

$8000 on a headphone system is a little silly

A little more? Let's try more than twice as much. Last time I checked Duo's were going for $20k.

$20k on speakers alone is a little silly.

May 24, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #60 of 88
I heard the balanced 650 with the SDS-XLR at the same meet that I first heard the HE90 out of Gene's Stax,and I preferred the HE90.The SDS/650 combo was the best dynamic setup I've ever heard,but the HE90 easily seperated itself from the 650,and that's with the Stax amp.I was lucky enough to get in on the last 18 HE90 deal after said meet.When I listened to the Orpheus system at the last meet,it was simply unreal!There is a synergy with this combo that I can only hope the Aristaeus can equal or improve on.So for $8000,I think you did real good surfbord.Congrats on your purchase and please post some pics and impressions after it lands.Gary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back