Ebay Germany: Return of an Orpheus Sale
Jun 5, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #78 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I even prefer to trust you better, if you tell me that the RS-1 can sound at the level of the Orpheus, after spending considerably time with the Orpheus and with the RS-1 as you have done, I do trust you, and will shut my mouth until I heard that RS-1 again in that setup that make it to sound even similar...

The main problem with these Grado headphones is the house sound, and I do not think that any amp will remove that coloration, if you tell me that a more neutral one like the HP or PS line, that will be another story...but not for the RS-1. Other thing is the soundstage, do you consider the soundstage of both could be even similar???

Sorry, Sov... I'm just now reading this post. I know what you mean about how sometimes your listening tastes and preferences seem to line up well with those of certain people, and not so well with other people. So I don't doubt what you say about how you hear differently than does Hirsch (or maybe more accurately, you may be looking for differerent things from your listening sessions).

As I've said, in most cases, what Hirsch describes is pretty much what I hear. Problem is, I've never owned a pair of RS-1's and don't really intend to. Unless, of course, I hear the same things with them that he does when I get my SDS-XLR and have the chance to do an audition. But I've never spent a whole lot of time with the RS-1's either with balanced cables and amps or with single ended. So all I was really doing was reporting what I had seen him post.

I also understand your hesitation with Grado products, given that you're not a fan of the coloration added by their house sound. In this regard, I agree with your assessment that the RS-1's tend to emphasize this character whereas the HP-1000 line is more neutral and the PS-1's have more of a bass orientation. I wasn't trying to dispute any of that at all. What I was trying to say was that I felt your statement was a little broad and oversweeping, and I simply used Hirsch's observations as an example of why what you said may not be true for everyone.

It may well be that you or I could hear the same balanced RS-1 / SDS-XLR setup and still find faults with it based on what we're looking for. One day I'll give it a try myself and report back. Interestingly, there was a time when I would have made a very similar statement about the K1000's relative to the HE90's. But now that I've quite happily grown accustomed to the K1000 / EAR V20 system, I'd say that is rates right up there with the HE90/HEV90. They are very different from each other, but one is not clearly "better" than the other. It would be wonderful if I could one day say this about the RS-1's but I too have my doubts. The fun is in trying, so I'll keep an open mind.

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #79 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
i think it might fall through :*(

Tell us!

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #80 of 88
well, long story put short; I gave my twin brother a loan and he ended up going to jail for DUI, and now he can't payme back right now. As many of you guys know, i have been seeking a he90 for a while so you can only guess how mad i am about this. Dont bother asking the guy if you can have it as he already has people behind me.

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #81 of 88
either way, im going to be enjoying my new rig that will be complete soon. Besides, half the fun in this hobby is upgrading so i guess later in life I can get one. Im not even 20 yet so i have plenty of time.

*trying to convince my self im not angry about loosing this one

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #82 of 88
Quote:

well, long story put short; I gave my twin brother a loan and he ended up going to jail for DUI, and now he can't payme back right now. As many of you guys know, i have been seeking a he90 for a while so you can only guess how mad i am about this. Dont bother asking the guy if you can have it as he already has people behind me.

Ouch man, that's gotta be a really big bummer for you, sorry bro
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #84 of 88
Quote:

YOU GUYS!! IM GETTING IT! I am forced thoe to sell MY OTHER HEADPHONES BUT IM GETTING IT! YAAY
orphsmile.gif

Yay! Please be sure to bring it to the SoCal meet in August. Yay!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #85 of 88
Congrats! I hope it all works out for you. And I hope your brother learned his lesson.

And yeah, if you are on your summer vacation you should try to make it out to the SoCal meet. Justin of HeadAmp might be there. I don't know how far along he is with your amp, but maybe he can deliver it to you there.
icon10.gif

Are you going to be using the Zhaolu DAC as your source for your HE90? That would be the ultimate budget rig!
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #87 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Congrats! I hope it all works out for you. And I hope your brother learned his lesson.

And yeah, if you are on your summer vacation you should try to make it out to the SoCal meet. Justin of HeadAmp might be there. I don't know how far along he is with your amp, but maybe he can deliver it to you there.
icon10.gif

Are you going to be using the Zhaolu DAC as your source for your HE90? That would be the ultimate budget rig!
tongue.gif

good thinkging Borat! I just may go down there for my first meet ever. LMAO at the budget rig! yes, i would be sticking witht he Zhaolu DAC as my source for now. I REALLY prefer it over my old benchmark dac1 so ill be happy with my "budget rig" for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back