Ebay Germany: Return of an Orpheus Sale
May 24, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #61 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Hirsch doesn't seem to agree with this assertion. While he doesn't have an Orpheus system, he's heard it many times, yet still seems to think that the balanced RS-1's out of the Single Power SDS-XLR is as good as it gets. I haven't heard that exact combo myself, but with his same amp the balanced HD650's came to life like I've never heard them before. So I don't really doubt him. Not that Hirsch "knows" everything, but he's a very experienced headphone user, and my impressions do tend to align with his for the most part.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make it that the RS-1's just might surprise you in the right system. Of course, this is running them balanced and paired with an absolute mega amp, but your statement seems to allow for this. All I'm pointing out is that other informed opinions may differ.

BTW, the balanced RS-1's with the SDS-XLR would bump you up well past $8,000, so I guess it ought to get you to Orpheus level.

Well Wayne, I have not heard Hirsh system, and I can not comment on this particular setup, until I heard it, and that without any doubts will be a killer one, but I have heard others at more or less the same level (RP-1000 included, as you know I had it for a week or so here, in my home, that is nothing short in comparison to the SDS-XLR sound wise, and that statement is coming from some other headfiers, and even other manufacturers, not from me personally) but one thing is sure, I have followed three or four times Hirsch impressions and recos, and non all of them have had a happy end for me, so what seems to be good for him, is still not 100% good for me, and vice, nothing wrong on that just that he, and me, seems to hear differently, and I have to trust my ears not his, as you understand (I still have a sour taste of the Gilmore V2 in my mouth pairing it with the CD3K...) You can trust him, I have nothing against that, but you know what, if you let me choose, I even prefer to trust you better, if you tell me that the RS-1 can sound at the level of the Orpheus, after spending considerably time with the Orpheus and with the RS-1 as you have done, I do trust you, and will shut my mouth until I heard that RS-1 again in that setup that make it to sound even similar...

The main problem with these Grado headphones is the house sound, and I do not think that any amp will remove that coloration, if you tell me that a more neutral one like the HP or PS line, that will be another story...but not for the RS-1. Other thing is the soundstage, do you consider the soundstage of both could be even similar???

I have heard the RS-1 out of uber amps, and systems, and I have not found it even similar to my beloved CD3000, otherwise I would change it for the RS-1, I'm still looking for an "in stock" headphone to substitute my out of stock CD3K, but this seems that will never happen...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

May 25, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #62 of 88
quite interesting developments..i guess i have only a couple og questions that came to mind
superman, if you thought this is a ripoff why post it here to tempt us?
evil_smiley.gif

second, on looking at the pics it is a little concerning that they seem like a mish mash of several different people's phones..the background changes and there is no continuiuty in the entire set...that said to the risk takers come the great rewards so i hope it all works out. cheers!

May 25, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #63 of 88
Here are items the seller sold in last 30 days.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8412053151
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8929282279
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8417713725
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8417714961
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8417737454
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7617793495

The last item is a subwoofer that was pictured in the same room as the orpheus. It was sold a few days ago and there is no feedback yet but I think the pictures are genuine of both items. By the way, paypal doesn't give you full protection unless you check what you get before you sign for delivery.
When a problem occurs all paypal will do is to ask the seller for an online tracking number of sale.
You could get a brick inside the box and if you have signed for it then paypal will say the sale was alright.

It the seller can provide an online tracking number paypal assumes the seller has send the item and the item was received by buyer. If later you find out that the item was misdescribed then this is another story.

Another detail to consider is to fund a paypal payment with a credit card instead bank account. If you have a credit card registered with paypal you can choose it during each payment. There is no way to set paypal to make fundings automatically by credit card.

One more detail is that paypal will cause some extra money for the seller. Paypal will take 2.5% of that payment before it goes to the seller's account and then there is another commision when you transfer money from paypal account to your bank account.

It is the same laminated floor, same wall painting and same floor lamp on both pictures:

From orpheus page:
08_12_sb.JPG

From audiodata subwoofer page:
b2_12_sb.JPG

May 25, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #64 of 88
Damn good eye.. I wish I saw that earlier.

May 25, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #65 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Build quality is about a lot more than looks. The Qualia has a structurally weak headband that makes it easy to break. That shrieks of poor engineering. The L3K had issues where the wiring was too close to the driver IIRC, producing bass distortion in several units. The cable is also susceptible to breakage at the juncture where the wires from the earpieces meet (I'm aware of two cases of this). Pretty does not equal build quality. I'd rate the Orpheus as having better build quality than either of your examples, as I would expect it to last longer in normal use without need for repair.

Qualia was an example of marketing over engineering and design. (or at the least a clueless designer or engineer) Non adjustable headband made out of brittle carbon fiber? Um....yeah.

May 25, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #67 of 88
Nice eye Marcel. With the replies back ive gott'n he seems very reasonable and ligit to me. He even speaks a little english. Im going to try to get air shipping so i can have it next week.

May 25, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #69 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
Nice eye Marcel. With the replies back ive gott'n he seems very reasonable and ligit to me. He even speaks a little english. Im going to try to get air shipping so i can have it next week.

cool..you totally scored...i think this can qualify under the best deals ever thread
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #70 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26

Amazing if you get it. And you're not even 20 years old.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
Congrats.

May 25, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #74 of 88
yep maybe bit too positive ..
.. but I've looked into it .. and I'm always quite positive in life ; and towards deals too
and about that's good a deal , it is sure thing since Orpheus sales are rare rare sales coming by as we speak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back