Ebay Germany: Return of an Orpheus Sale
May 17, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #16 of 88
so what's the consensus this time? from last time it seems it was felt this was a scam.
insomniac is right..i too paid significantly more for mine and this price is dirt cheap if true...i guess that is the risk you take to buy cheap..not worth it in my opinion for such a high ticket item.
him stating that he is not liable for defects lends some credence he has it but then also makes me worry about its true condition..are these pics legit or a rehash from somewhere?

May 17, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis
As someone who still retains a small bit of their sanity, $8000 for a pair of headphones is not a good price. Can these really be worth the extra $7000 over an RS-1 and a nice amp?

I agree

May 17, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #18 of 88
Anyone ready to pay $8000 for some headphones should fly out to Germany to check them and pick them up! The customs on an $8000 shipment will probably be more than the price of a ticket.

May 17, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #19 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator
Anyone ready to pay $8000 for some headphones should fly out to Germany to check them and pick them up! The customs on an $8000 shipment will probably be more than the price of a ticket.

Not if you're already in Europe
orphsmile.gif

May 18, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears
I asked the seller two questions with two ebay accounts. Yesterday first and second today. No reaction! I will contact Ebay now.

Seems like an awfully quick reaction to contact eBay. I've had lots of perfectly legit sellers who didn't contact me for three or more days.

May 18, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #23 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears
Knowing that he didn't answer last time in April?

Sorry, didn't know the backstory.

May 19, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #24 of 88
Yeah, no replies. So I guess he just wants a quick buy (and run away with the money), without the hassles of replying to e-mails.

Damn.

May 19, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #25 of 88
Y'know, looking at the pictures, I'm reminded of my one complaint about the big O. It isn't the best built headphone itself, kinda flimsy feeling. Materials are nice enough, but nothing like an L3k or Qualia. Not even close!

May 19, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis
As someone who still retains a small bit of their sanity, $8000 for a pair of headphones is not a good price. Can these really be worth the extra $7000 over an RS-1 and a nice amp?

Are you kidding??

If you understand the RS-1 and Amp being better than the SR-60's...then this should be a nooo-brainer..electrostatics are much rarer cans that require special current loads, amplification, and power supplies...not to mention a proper source...Elec cans use a completely different tech VS dynamic cans; moreover, they use an electric charged diaphram that which is applied to the electrodes creating an electrical field; depending on the polarity of the this field, the membrane is drawn towards one of the plates. Air is forced through the perforations; combined with a continuously changing electrical signal oscillating the membrane, a soundwave is generated and voila...awesome pure audio entertainment..
Electro's, not unlike tube amps, need to warm up awhile first to, before using..neat stuff..

Elec cans are super rare but are more detailed than a HighLights book from the dentist office in terms of sound, seperation ( in the way artist vocals and instrumentation), to produce the smoothest most cohesive sound you can imagine...or not really..
It is the closest thing to speaker listening some say can get...read more here

Saying that how come the RS-1 doesn't come close or compare to elec cans is like saying, how come you think my Miata is not as fast or as good as your Bugatti, they both go fast and play nicely??!!
smily_headphones1.gif

edit for 3rd grade spelling..

May 19, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 88
Use of an escrow service would be highly recommended in this case!

May 19, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Y'know, looking at the pictures, I'm reminded of my one complaint about the big O. It isn't the best built headphone itself, kinda flimsy feeling. Materials are nice enough, but nothing like an L3k or Qualia. Not even close!

Build quality is about a lot more than looks. The Qualia has a structurally weak headband that makes it easy to break. That shrieks of poor engineering. The L3K had issues where the wiring was too close to the driver IIRC, producing bass distortion in several units. The cable is also susceptible to breakage at the juncture where the wires from the earpieces meet (I'm aware of two cases of this). Pretty does not equal build quality. I'd rate the Orpheus as having better build quality than either of your examples, as I would expect it to last longer in normal use without need for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back