Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,517 of 1,656
I've just received my SM64 today from SONVIDEO in France and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I've struggled to achieve a good fit with the bundled ear tips so I had to place an order for the phonak audeo ear tips as suggested by eric, which will be arriving next week.

Upon opening the package, I played around with it for a bit by removing the detachable cables in order to fully inspect the housing for any faults. I'd forgotten which cable colour (red or grey) corresponds to which monitor (left or right) so I just inserted whichever cable colour into whichever monitor sounded best, which was (red cable with the red side facing down in the right monitor and the grey cable with the grey side facing down in the left monitor). Please let me know if this is the correct corresponding cable to monitor insertion as the cables are not labelled left or right. 

I'm coming from the Shure SE535 and the Sony XBA-A3 paired with an unamped iBasso DX90 and 16bit FLAC files. Both IEMs sounded great out of the box, but the sound out of the SM64 leaves much to be desired. With the iBasso DX90 on high gain and 231 volume, it sounds slightly thin and grainy. The bass occasionally hits hard and low (when I get a good seal with the lousy double flange tips) but most of the time sounds thin. The mids are fairly decent and not recessed, but sounds grainy and unrefined in comparison to my SE535 and XBA-A3. The treble sounds very well extended and somewhat detailed, but there is still an element of grain to the sound. Sound stage sounds decent with good depth but isn't close to the width of the XBA-A3, imaging and separation is excellent, I'm already picking up on some details missed by the XBA-A3 but the overall sound is just not currently pleasing or perhaps I had an inflated opinion of these based on the many positive reviews that I've read on this thread. 

Another thing to note is when I first inserted the IEMs into my ear after confusing the cable to monitor connection, they sounded incredibly thin and grainy (like 5$ earphones), then shortly after with a few more insertion attempts they sounded slightly fuller but still with that thin bass and grainy mid/treble. An hour later (brain burn in or actual burn in), they sounded slightly more fuller and less grainy. Right now they sound pretty decent but there is still an element of grain/unrefinement and a thin low end which I don't like. So I've cast them aside to burn in non-stop with my iBasso DX90 until I receive the phonak audeo tips and decide whether I will be keeping these or returning them. I want to love them and settle for an affordable sub 500$ end game IEM, but these just don't currently sound like a sub 500$ end game IEM.

Suggestions are welcomed, of course. I have one of the newest batches of SM64 because my cable connectors are clear as opposed to the black seen on some of the SM64s on this thread and my earphone jack is also grey and smaller in comparison to the black and larger jacks that I've seen of previous SM64s. Also, my box came with a larger selection of tips (all rubbish) as opposed to the limited selection that some others have received.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #1,518 of 1,656

I got the information that these dampers/filters wear out with time, leading to situations like you're describing.

Still waiting for my tool and dampers/filters to arrive. Tool straight from Etymotics and dampers by Knowles, on Mouser for instance. Check this topic, great info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers

Same bore/nozzle size on SM64 I believe. Let's see if it works the same way.

Please let me know which acoustic filters that you have tried and how they sound in comparison to the stock filters. I've read a lot about the Shure SE535 acoustic filter modding and it would be interesting if the sonic signature of the SM64s could also be altered with the same acoustic filter modifications. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,519 of 1,656
@Sonic Ecstasy

Give them some time for you to get used to them, the quality is there. They're a bit different from typical Earsonics, less lush and more detailed and airy sound. But you can tune them with the filters. They come with Knowlers 680 at stock. It's really that filter at stock that you can buy at Mouser. For you preference maybe try the 1000 and the 1500. Or higher. Well, you read the Shure 535 filter topic so you're good to go, is similar with the SM64. It's your preference. Personally, I use the 1000.

You could also try the Westone star tips. Also very recommended in here. The large ones are instantly on perfect fit and isolation for me. I also need to try the Phonak tips soon.

Stock shell arrangement: the colours on the wire insertion are towards the shell direction. The red one matches the right shell, the light blue one matches the left shell. Face them towards inside. I also got the the "new" cable SM64.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #1,520 of 1,656

I think I truly have a defective pair. The bass is light, the treble is harsh and grainy, but based on what I can hear from the mids in this defective pair, it destroys my A3 and SE535. I'll be returning these and having them replaced, then I'll give my impression of the other pair.

Thanks for the tips on the acoustic filter and helping me to realise that I can easily replace them if i remove and they become damaged, haha. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,521 of 1,656
I think I truly have a defective pair. The bass is light, the treble is harsh and grainy, but based on what I can hear from the mids in this defective pair, it destroys my A3 and SE535. I'll be returning these and having them replaced, then I'll give my impression of the other pair.

Thanks for the tips on the acoustic filter and helping me to realise that I can easily replace them if i remove and they become damaged, haha. 

It sounds to me like you're using the wrong tips for your ears. Try some others. See if you can't get a good seal.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,525 of 1,656
I bought a used pair of these a couple months ago and they've quickly become my favorite IEMs.  Anyways, recently the highest frequency driver keeps cutting out on the right side, and is getting worse (wiggling the cable makes it connect sometimes, but other cables are having the same issue so it's not that).  I emailed Earsonics about out of warranty repair and they never responded.  Does anyone have any experience with taking these apart and attempting to fix anything in them?  I was thinking of trying to pry the halves apart then super gluing them back together afterwards.  Any guidance would be extremely appreciated.  I really want these to be working flawlessly again

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,526 of 1,656
Earsonics customers' service is widely known not to take care of their customers. Especially those who are second owners... YMMV, but I'm talking from my experience with them.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #1,527 of 1,656
I had my reservations about the build quality and double-flange tips, but took the plunge on a used set to get the EarSonics sound. Glad I did. Love the balance of the SM64, very detailed and smooth, no overt emphasis on any part of the spectrum, and a nicely done soundstage with good spatial cues. Build quality is what it is (especially since a full zinc-alloy housing can be had in the Pinnacle P1 for $199) but I really hope these will last as long as they can. And surprisingly the double flange eartips seems to agree with me. Just jammed it all the way in to sonic bliss.

Is the S-EM6 truly the SM64 on steroids?

Would moving up the ladder give me "more of the same but better?"

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,528 of 1,656
I'd rather have a look at the Velvets... :wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,529 of 1,656
guys...
i need some advise.
please help me decide.

im in the critical decision right now on getting WHICH EARSONICS should i buy, the VELVET or the SM64.

the sm64 is warm lush and has this beautiful mids. i tried it in a brief meet with a friend. i loved it.
i missed my sm3 when i heard it... that earsonic house sound. smooth and 3d soundstage.
however, he told me to get the velvets instead. since he thought this was an upgrade.

here are the questions that needed some answers:
1.  whats the difference of it compared to the velvets?
2.  does the mids degrade or lessened on the velvets if compared to the sm64.
3.  which of the two has better build? does velvets really break that easily? 
4.  someone say that the treble is splashy, thats so weird because i knew earsonic's house sound thru the sm3... is this true on the velvets?
5.  id like to know if the velvet is worth it for being a 200usd expensive than the sm64 (currently 400usd)

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #1,530 of 1,656
I haven't listened to the Velvets myself, but everybody to whom I've asked for any kind of feedback has come back to me telling that the upgrade's worth the extra price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back