Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #1,501 of 1,656
  Great information on these filters, I wasn't aware of them until I noticed the sound on the right side became a bit muffled sounding. The filter is still intact on the left hand side and sounds completely normal. I believe the filter may have been pushed in somehow on the right side leading to this muffled sound. 
Anyone else have this happen? 

I got the information that these dampers/filters wear out with time, leading to situations like you're describing.

I removed the filters trying to get more bass...are these ordered from Earsonics or elsewhere? I would replace them if it weren't too expensive and difficult.

Still waiting for my tool and dampers/filters to arrive. Tool straight from Etymotics and dampers by Knowles, on Mouser for instance. Check this topic, great info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers

Same bore/nozzle size on SM64 I believe. Let's see if it works the same way.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,502 of 1,656

As can been seen in the above picture the filters aren’t filters in the traditional sense but simply a pair of very thin hollow metallic cylinders (these filters look rather thick in the picture, but I’d guess they’re only a tenth of a millimetre or so). For this reason I would be surprised if the effect of removing the filters would be very significant at all – be it good or bad - for most listeners.

And @Aero Dynamik The metallic cylinders are not hollow. There is a "filter" inside. That's why there's no difference to you, yours ain't got anything inside. Don't know why, maybe already removed or pushed inside. But I believe SM64 still are a great deal for the price and signature. And that's not correct info for FP. It's something like this, an acustic damper (the all piece) as you might know:

I just bought some, with different frequencies, to try with the SM64. By the way, the stock "inside filter" is white.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea! I bought mine used and just assumed nothing had been altered as the seller didn't mention anything about it. Can someone else verify? Thanks!

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,503 of 1,656
  Thanks for the info, I had no idea! I bought mine used and just assumed nothing had been altered as the seller didn't mention anything about it. Can someone else verify? Thanks!

Yes, originally there are filters in the metal tube - I think they are grey though.

Here's more info:
http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/acoustic-dampers/25361

Grey:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=BF-1999-000&vendor=423

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,504 of 1,656
There is foam (white or grey, difficult to tell) in the filter of my SM64.

Looks grey on the picture but ...

On my model, the filters are at the really end of the nozzle, not down inside. As you can see on the picture.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,505 of 1,656

I got the information that these dampers/filters wear out with time, leading to situations like you're describing.

Still waiting for my tool and dampers/filters to arrive. Tool straight from Etymotics and dampers by Knowles, on Mouser for instance. Check this topic, great info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers

Same bore/nozzle size on SM64 I believe. Let's see if it works the same way.

After taking a closer look today I noticed that the filter on the right side is lodged inside of the casing, a little past the nozzle. It is affecting the sound pretty significantly in its current state. Going to order one of those filter removal tools to get that sucker out. Not sure if the tool will be long enough to reach inside of the casing though but it's worth a shot. Thanks for the info mdiogofs! 

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,506 of 1,656
it's a sad day today. as much as i love these IEMs, i think i have to sell them because i'm exchanging a 1 hour train commute for a stupid drive instead. then again, maybe it's legal to use IEMs while driving :) 

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,507 of 1,656
So, I got the filters from Mouser: some 330, 680, 1K, and 1.5K Ohms.
I strongly believe the stock filters are exactly this 680 Ohms from Knowles.
Haven't test them much yet. But I think that as higher the Ohms the smoother the sound becomes, which makes the bass more noticeable and upfront.
To remove and insert the filters I bought the tool from Etymotics. It's not exactly made for this filters size (just by little), but with a bit of patience, it works. Just wind round a little bit to pull the old and push the new one.
The first removal could be hard because it's stuck (not loose) and I used a paper clip. I had already take out the inside filter, only the metal cylinder was left. So it could be done with a paper clip (careful not to push the inside filter to inside the IEM). But if you could do with just the tool, great.
Need to test further...But I believe it's a great customization that can make this IEM pair better with your source/audio gear: smoother DAP -> 330 maybe, aggressive/brighter DAP -> 1K Ohms, for instance i think...Or your preference...   

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,508 of 1,656
Sounds great...let us know how it goes when you try the filters. I already removed them, curious which would work best to replace them.

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,509 of 1,656
These filters/dampers come in various diameters. Has anyone bought some from DigiKey or Mouser and successfully installed them in the SM64? And if so which size did you buy me

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,512 of 1,656
  I just got these. They remind so much of the re262's I had long back. Nostalgia !! 

If you can pair these with the Ibasso PB2( LME49710 opamps and dummy buffers) or something with detailed, fast, and balanced amp and it really brings out the best of these IEMs from my experiences. I use the Meier 2Stepdance and the iBasso PB2.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,513 of 1,656
  Does anyone have experience with both the sm64s and the Velvets?  I was wondering if the difference is worth the ~200 dollar difference.  

A friend of mine upgraded to the Velvets, and he said it was  great investment because it took the things he like and enjoyed with the SM64 and just made it better. Great midrange, nice bass and low end presence, and detail without sounding focused only on the details. Hope that helps

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #1,515 of 1,656

Users who are viewing this thread

Back