Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #361 of 1,167
I'm one of those who praised these a few months ago, I lurk around put don't post anything on the SM3 anymore. I still think the SM3 is one of the best Universals I've heard, in fact they are so good that I have felt the only way to get something better is to switch to customs which I should have in a couple weeks. The SM3's are very good, infact they are are excellent but if someone wants the ultimate in sound I suggest biting the bullet and get a premium pair of customs if budget allows, its probably cheaper in the long run anyways.
normal_smile%20.gif

Quote:
I think this is a great post. There is quite alot of bandwagon following after the SM3's got some initial good reviews and people jumped on it just because of them imo. It's a great IEM but the FOTM following for it has been excessive imo. People saying that it beats SE530 at everything, but then the SE535 comes out (essentially the same IEM) and now people are all over it's tail.

I can't fault you people though since it's indeed a great IEM, but it's just not as good as people make it out to be imo. Even blind a/b-ing to some very experienced head-fiers at our little meets shows the same results. I was really thinking it would blow me away after reading all that, I was indeed impressed but most of the claims are vastly exaggerated

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #362 of 1,167

Quote:
I'm one of those who praised these a few months ago, I lurk around put don't post anything on the SM3 anymore. I still think the SM3 is one of the best Universals I've heard, in fact they are so good that I have felt the only way to get something better is to switch to customs which I should have in a couple weeks. The SM3's are very good, infact they are are excellent but if someone wants the ultimate in sound I suggest biting the bullet and get a premium pair of customs if budget allows, its probably cheaper in the long run anyways.
normal_smile%20.gif

If you're suggesting customizing the SM3s specifically ... yes, this WILL help with certain sonic attributes such as sound-staging, imaging/focus, bass "tightness". But, it WON'T really help with help with most of attributes of which I was critical. Notably, dynamics, speed and the midrange "hump".

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #363 of 1,167

Quote:
I think this is a great post. There is quite alot of bandwagon following after the SM3's got some initial good reviews and people jumped on it just because of them imo. It's a great IEM but the FOTM following for it has been excessive imo. People saying that it beats SE530 at everything, but then the SE535 comes out (essentially the same IEM) and now people are all over it's tail.

I can't fault you people though since it's indeed a great IEM, but it's just not as good as people make it out to be imo. Even blind a/b-ing to some very experienced head-fiers at our little meets shows the same results. I was really thinking it would blow me away after reading all that, I was indeed impressed but most of the claims are vastly exaggerated

You've pointed out some important aspects of human psychology. One thing that the human mind gravitates toward is to come to some sort of "final" end-of-the-day decision (no matter how right or wrong it may ultimately be) -- so we don't waste time dwelling on stuff and get on with other important aspects of our lives. To save face (may be they genuinely believe it or it's confabulation or cognitive dissonance) humans will also defend their position to the hilt. To be stood corrected in the public interface (like this forum) is/feels (from the "viewpoint" of the selfish, controlling gene-sets) "wrong", humiliating and embarrassing. Who can blame us!
As I noted prev., even a v. good IEM has yet to be invented. I see (hear) nothing but compromised designs. Most of the reviews I read in this forum, or on sites like touchmyapps, headfonia, inearmatters.net, etc, are (IMO) way too praising.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #365 of 1,167
Alphaman, you're about a year too late in complaining that the SM3 is a FOTM and bandwagoning iem. Even the most experienced head.fiers (and those who have been here awhile), have detailed the extensively the achievements and failures of the SM3. Some people like it and think it's great; some don't. I find it one of the best top tiers, but not the best. I actually like the SM2 way better. But the fanboyism phase of the SM3 has long passed IMO.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #366 of 1,167

Quote:
If you're suggesting customizing the SM3s specifically ... yes, this WILL help with certain sonic attributes such as sound-staging, imaging/focus, bass "tightness". But, it WON'T really help with help with most of attributes of which I was critical. Notably, dynamics, speed and the midrange "hump".

Actually, I'm suggesting ditching the SM3's and picking up something along the lines of the Westone ES5 or UM Miracle or Fitear Private 333, MH334, etc ...
I auditioned the local Fitear series at their Ginza shop recently and they are a big step up from the SM3.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #367 of 1,167
Quote:
Not necessarily.

There are actually quite a few of us who did not enjoy the SM3s. It just so happens that none of us post in SM3-related threads anymore, and all is left is endless praise for them.

The moment a new poster says they don't find the SM3s all that good, there will usually follow a whole bunch of responses suggesting anything from trying different tips, removing filters, EQ'ing, endless hours of burn-in that will miraculously transform the SM3's SQ, lack of synergy with X, Y or Z DAP, or - as you suggest - not being able to recognise/discern the wonderful SQ the SM3 provides, and so on.  

Quote:
I think this is a great post.

I agree, and for those who are interested, here's my short review of the SM3 (v1). The SM3 are overall very good phones with a few controversial aspects, that may or may not bother you, depending on your personal preference. Neither the best since sliced bread nor a complete failure, just a mixed bag like every single other IEM I've heard.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #368 of 1,167
I was cleaning out the V2's when I noticed their filter and the tiny foam block within the filter. Not that I intend to myself, but just out of curiosity, has anyone here removed the filter of the SM3 (V1/V2) before? Or is it contraindicated?

EDIT: nevermind, found my answer through a few older posts.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #369 of 1,167
Got my SM3 v2 in the mail yesterday, I am currently listening to them for a good 4h and I actually quite like them. I don't see why you would need some sort of "brain burning" as the sounds is well, "good" so far. I cannot compare them to my 2 years old UM3X yet for obvious reasons but they are definitely in the same league. Comfort wise, they are really good, albeit a little big compared to the UM3X. I don't have problem with getting a good seal with the biflange (I haven't tried the foam yet). I had a question though, can we use the Shure Olives and all the other tips (Comply T100 etc etc) I was using on my UM3X on the SM3?
I'll post more impressions this week-end after 6 days of use.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #370 of 1,167

Quote:
You've pointed out some important aspects of human psychology. One thing that the human mind gravitates toward is to come to some sort of "final" end-of-the-day decision (no matter how right or wrong it may ultimately be) -- so we don't waste time dwelling on stuff and get on with other important aspects of our lives. To save face (may be they genuinely believe it or it's confabulation or cognitive dissonance) humans will also defend their position to the hilt. To be stood corrected in the public interface (like this forum) is/feels (from the "viewpoint" of the selfish, controlling gene-sets) "wrong", humiliating and embarrassing. Who can blame us!
As I noted prev., even a v. good IEM has yet to be invented. I see (hear) nothing but compromised designs. Most of the reviews I read in this forum, or on sites like touchmyapps, headfonia, inearmatters.net, etc, are (IMO) way too praising.

Interesting theory's !

I have another .

The Earsonic SM3 sound Amazing !

Could a I.E.M sound better?  

I do Hope so
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #371 of 1,167

Quote:

Not necessarily.

There are actually quite a few of us who did not enjoy the SM3s. It just so happens that none of us post in SM3-related threads anymore, and all is left is endless praise for them.

The moment a new poster says they don't find the SM3s all that good, there will usually follow a whole bunch of responses suggesting anything from trying different tips, removing filters, EQ'ing, endless hours of burn-in that will miraculously transform the SM3's SQ, lack of synergy with X, Y or Z DAP, or - as you suggest - not being able to recognise/discern the wonderful SQ the SM3 provides, and so on.  

Wrong he could have a dud. Or maybe he thinks they suck. Oh well.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #372 of 1,167

Quote:
Actually, I'm suggesting ditching the SM3's and picking up something along the lines of the Westone ES5 or UM Miracle or Fitear Private 333, MH334, etc ...
I auditioned the local Fitear series at their Ginza shop recently and they are a big step up from the SM3.

I've been wondering why the German/Austrian heavyweights of headphone design -- AKG, beyer, Senn -- haven't offered too many choices in high-end IEMs. Then, I saw this ...
http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/06/akg-getting-serious.html
http://eu.akg.com/akg-k3003-eu.html
 US$1500 is no chump change. Hopefully, the technology AKG uses for this high-end model will trickle down to something more affordable.
BTW (and speaking of "German" transducers), my fave 'fones may be beyer (the 880 and Tesla are pretty kick-ass; of all cans I own, the ones I use most are the 880s). Not sure why they're holdin' out on high-end IEM (the IE8 doesn't really count IMO -- Sennheiser (I mean Sennheiser for Pete's sake!) can do much better). But if  the almighty "buyer-D" puts one out, I'll personally fly to Heilbronn to pick up mine from the packaging end of their factory line (ala the old GM Saturn owner get-'em-hot-off-the-line style)!

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #373 of 1,167
Well, as much as I tried to get my ears to adjust to the memory wire, they prefer otherwise. I've never been a fan of memory wire over-the-ear style before, and so I did what my ears needed me to, removed the plastic coating and the memory wire within, leaving only the braided cable fully in tact. They're fit/comfort is now practically indistinguishable from my W4's, and my ears couldn't be happier. Now for the custom tips, which I'm heavily considering.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #374 of 1,167
I think you'd be the 2nd person in this whole site that would do that for the SM3.

Quote:
Well, as much as I tried to get my ears to adjust to the memory wire, they prefer otherwise. I've never been a fan of memory wire over-the-ear style before, and so I did what my ears needed me to, removed the plastic coating and the memory wire within, leaving only the braided cable fully in tact. They're fit/comfort is now practically indistinguishable from my W4's, and my ears couldn't be happier. Now for the custom tips, which I'm heavily considering.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #375 of 1,167

Quote:
I had a question though, can we use the Shure Olives and all the other tips (Comply T100 etc etc) I was using on my UM3X on the SM3? I'll post more impressions this week-end after 6 days of use.

Not sure about the t-100's, but unless they changed something drastic on the v2 (doesn't look like it), you should be able to use them with the SM3's.  Have olives on my v1's and haven't looked back since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back