Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #587 of 1,167
The SM2 v1 didn't get a lot of attention @ Inks, and it really was a bang-for-the-buck before it disappeared altogether.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #588 of 1,167
I sold my SM3, but kept my SM2. That's how much I liked it.

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #589 of 1,167

Quote:
I sold my SM3, but kept my SM2. That's how much I liked it.

Interesting, what is the difference in Sound sig? Are the Mids still present? Do tell

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #590 of 1,167
I've heard it and they carry a similar sound signature, it's less veiled than the SM3 but it's not as polished and as detailed.

I agree that it's bang for buck and definitely a very good IEM, it's like SM3 without the veil which is the way I like it :)

Quote:
Interesting, what is the difference in Sound sig? Are the Mids still present? Do tell

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #591 of 1,167

X2 .. Yep, that's it. Mids are still present, but not-in-your-face forward like the SM3. The mids aren't recessed either....
Quote:
I've heard it and they carry a similar sound signature, it's less veiled than the SM3 but it's not as polished and as detailed.

I agree that it's bang for buck and definitely a very good IEM, it's like SM3 without the veil which is the way I like it :)

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #592 of 1,167
Ah I see.  I have tried it with the comply tips and did notice a drop in the treble region and the mids were brought out more.  It sounded a bit muffled to me.  So, I guess with the double-flange tips they sound pretty close to the hd650 Uchiya?  I guess everyone hears everything differently.  It would be interesting to hear a IEM sound like a larger can.  And I'd feel pretty lucky because I saved a bunch of money getting the SM3 for so much cheeper than the hd650.  I can take everyones words on here but some day I will test drive the hd650 to see is for myself.  =)  Thanks everyone for your help in answering my question.  

Quote:
With the comply tips, the mids are certainly far more forward.  Using the double-flange stock tips, them sound very similar to the HD650's; noting that both presentations are different but the sound is similar.  Imo.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #593 of 1,167
What is the difference in the SM2 that the SM3 has improved?  Or what is it that you enjoy about the SM2?  

Edit:  Haha I should of read through the posts before asking you this question.  But I need to ask... what does it mean when the sound is veiled?  When I see this I think that its being covered by something... not allowing some of the sound to get through or something is impeding it.  

Edit: Haha Ok, I should of searched this topic on here before asking again and I found that what I was asking is pretty much what veiled seems to be described as.  

I just got my wider bore bi-flange earbuds and wow do they make a difference.  I definitely feel the 3D sound stage now.  

Could you describe a little more about the SM2?  I might just get it to use to the gym and use the SM3 for home listening... or use both...hahaha
Quote:
I think the SM3 is fighting its way into becoming the most controversial iem of all time (dethroning the TF10). I really did like the SM3, but enjoyed it's baby brother more, the SM2 (a little bit more space to stretch out my listening legs)

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #594 of 1,167

lol.....Hello Hawaiiancerveza... Hmmmmm? The integrity in sound of both iems is pretty much the same but difference. I think the best way I can answer this question for you is to simply say that the SM3 is like you are sitting on stage or in the recording studio with musicians (almost as if you're one of the musicians yourself), whereas the SM2 is more akin to be sitting in the audience as a listener. Now, with the SM2 you're not like sitting rows back in a concert hall, but more like three or four rows from the stage, or table close to the stage in an intimate jazz club. You may get a little bit more details in the SM3 (micro details), but it not a whole big difference to make a fuss over. Veiled with the SM3 mainly depended on the tips I was using. In the end, for me, the SM3 was just bit too much for me at times. The sound is wonderful, but I wanted to push back from the band some. I'm allowed to do that with the SM2.
Quote:
What is the difference in the SM2 that the SM3 has improved?  Or what is it that you enjoy about the SM2?  

Edit:  Haha I should of read through the posts before asking you this question.  But I need to ask... what does it mean when the sound is veiled?  When I see this I think that its being covered by something... not allowing some of the sound to get through or something is impeding it.  

Edit: Haha Ok, I should of searched this topic on here before asking again and I found that what I was asking is pretty much what veiled seems to be described as.  

I just got my wider bore bi-flange earbuds and wow do they make a difference.  I definitely feel the 3D sound stage now.  

Could you describe a little more about the SM2?  I might just get it to use to the gym and use the SM3 for home listening... or use both...hahaha

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #595 of 1,167

Quote:
lol.....Hello Hawaiiancerveza... Hmmmmm? The integrity in sound of both iems is pretty much the same but difference. I think the best way I can answer this question for you is to simply say that the SM3 is like you are sitting on stage or in the recording studio with musicians (almost as if you're one of the musicians yourself), whereas the SM2 is more akin to be sitting in the audience as a listener. Now, with the SM2 you're not like sitting rows back in a concert hall, but more like three or four rows from the stage, or table close to the stage in an intimate jazz club. You may get a little bit more details in the SM3 (micro details), but it not a whole big difference to make a fuss over. Veiled with the SM3 mainly depended on the tips I was using. In the end, for me, the SM3 was just bit too much for me at times. The sound is wonderful, but I wanted to push back from the band some. I'm allowed to do that with the SM2.

Very good description of the SM3 presentation.  I agree completely.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #596 of 1,167
Ah I see.  Thank you for your description Ericp10.  I guess its just a matter of preference at that point.  I do like the way the SM2 sounds as you've described as a in the crowd feel where as the SM3 has the sitting at sound.  I like all  types of sound signatures and the SM2 might be another phone I might consider.  Again Thank you for sharing because since I'm here in Hawaii there are no places that let us demo the headphones so any help offered I am grateful for.  

Quote:

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #597 of 1,167

Nice comparison, ericp10, I totally agree with you. The SM2 are well suited for jazz, more than SM3 (I own both). Different presentation, |joker| did a nice review of them. SM3 V1 are better than SM2 V1, but the SM2 have a special touch... and I like it. SM3 aren´t much veiled with the large stock tips.
Quote:

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #599 of 1,167

That's what we are here for. Glad I could provide some insight from my perspective. Happy listening (I love different sound signatures too).
Quote:
Ah I see.  Thank you for your description Eric10.  I guess its just a matter of preference at that point.  I do like the way the SM2 sounds as you've described as a in the crowd feel where as the SM3 has the sitting at sound.  I like all  types of sound signatures and the SM2 might be another phone I might consider.  Again Thank you for sharing because since I'm here in Hawaii there are no places that let us demo the headphones so any help offered I am grateful for.  

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #600 of 1,167
Thank you @ TMMC and Shane. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back