Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 23, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #556 of 1,167

Quote:
Yes.

A more Balanced Frequency especially in the Lows and Highs, thus not veiling the Mids as some I.E.M's and headphones can do.With the SM3's you can hear it's 'all there' without any excess on any part of the frequency range .

Out of the I.E.M's I have heard - Westone 3 , CK10's , eq-5's they offer the most precision .In Dance music it's relatively easy to hear when the music isn't being reproduced quite the way it was produced . Too much High's and the all important bass which Good quality Dance music is structured upon sounds weak . Too much Lows and the bass dominates the Rhythm with too much Boom.Too mids and the Kick drums and high Hats etc sound very off .

The SM3's simply accurately reproduce well balanced music , keep it all in it's right perspective .

It's simply just a matter of Balance
ksc75smile.gif

fantastic Explanation. This is such an education for me and a humbling one ta boot. My puny little mind was telling me that people into dance music don;t really care too much about tone and sound, as long as the bass kicks. The W3's really shine in Rock and Hard Rock, blues and so on. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #557 of 1,167

Ah well that explains it then...I think. But those Shure and Westone tips just dont work for me, oddly enough. Fit was so-so but the sound just was not as good as with the ES bilfanges.
Quote:
Heretic, I'm pretty sure he;s talking about the large Grey Silicone Flex tip, that are packed with Shures and westones, not the Biflange you are refering to. Like the Triple flanges, I highly doubt these come in different sizes, Must be the Bores

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #558 of 1,167

Quote:
Yes.

A more Balanced Frequency especially in the Lows and Highs, thus not veiling the Mids as some I.E.M's and headphones can do.With the SM3's you can hear it's 'all there' without any excess on any part of the frequency range .

Out of the I.E.M's I have heard - Westone 3 , CK10's , eq-5's they offer the most precision .In Dance music it's relatively easy to hear when the music isn't being reproduced quite the way it was produced . Too much High's and the all important bass which Good quality Dance music is structured upon sounds weak . Too much Lows and the bass dominates the Rhythm with too much Boom.Too mids and the Kick drums and high Hats etc sound very off .

The SM3's simply accurately reproduce well balanced music , keep it all in it's right perspective .

It's simply just a matter of Balance
ksc75smile.gif

I'd have to agree with this wholeheartedly. Although it should be mentioned that with the previous narrow bore stock tips, the SM3s are on the warmish side of balanced. With the new wide bore tips, they retain their characteristic SQ but are more balanced in that the some warmth is shaved off and there's slightly better highs presence.

Going off topic for a while....I find the CK10s are somewhat balanced too, to my ears especially when driven by the Headstage Arrow 2G on Bass Boost 1. Without it, they lack bass quantity. Ck10 has quality bass and hits nice and tight, plus extends quite low too. The Arrow's bass boost helps reduce the impression that they're a shrill, highs-only set of 'phones. Mids are still nicer on the SM3s but i admit they both have different presentations of the mids despite having forward mids.

Off topic again....W3s from my memory are much like TF10s but perhaps are a bit better? Cant remember. As for the eq-5s, arent they similar to the eq-7s which are supposedly somewhat similar to the Sm3?

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #559 of 1,167

Quote:
There it is again! A reference to a large ES silicon tip. Can you explain? I thought there is only one size for the ES tips. I'm referring to the tip size, not the bore. And where did you get them from in packs? ES' website sells them individually. I'd love to get a whole as backups...and to fool around with modding like you've explained.

Thanks in advance.
biggrin.gif

Shure EASFX1-10 Grey Soft Flex Sleeves (Large)  <<< These are the tips I'm referring too

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=810&aff=window  <<< I bought 10 for £9.78

Description

​

[size=x-small]These sleeves are suitable for the E3 / E3c / E5 / E5c. This product also fits the new Shure SE series of earphones. They are an Ultra-Soft-Flex design, for comfort and ease of insertion. Supplied in packs of ten in large size only.[/size]

They also fit westone's and SM3's amongst others

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #560 of 1,167

Quote:

Shure EASFX1-10 Grey Soft Flex Sleeves (Large)  <<< These are the tips I'm referring too

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=810&aff=window  <<< I bought 10 for £9.78

Description

​

[size=x-small]These sleeves are suitable for the E3 / E3c / E5 / E5c. This product also fits the new Shure SE series of earphones. They are an Ultra-Soft-Flex design, for comfort and ease of insertion. Supplied in packs of ten in large size only.[/size]

They also fit westone's and SM3's amongst others

Thanks, mate. Now I get it.Sorry for all the confusion. I's is not too brights. :p

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #561 of 1,167
Sitting in the office, trying to figure out some networking issues and listening to Metallica's S&M with the rig in my signature. Using the new wide bore tips. All I can say is.....WHOA!  :D

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #562 of 1,167

Quote:
 As for the eq-5s, arent they similar to the eq-7s which are supposedly somewhat similar to the Sm3?

The eq-7's use the same moving armatures as the eq5's,  some say the sound signature is noticeable different between the 2 .I have only heard the eq-5 .

The frequency signature of the eq-5 is very noticeably different than that of the  SM3's . I don't have the eq-5's to compare with any more so I can not go into any great detail of any other  subtle differences .

The obvious difference  is that the eq-5 sounded brighter & some perceive that  as clearer thus favor these types of freq signature .

To put that in some context . Like the CK10's, the eq-5's have a certain frequency characteristic that makes them sound bright in direct comparison to the SM3's and other less bright I.E.M's .At first listen ,depending on the music,this brightness can sound...well nice and bright and Airy . But then play music that does not originally sound so Bright ,like a Tribal House track, it also having plenty of moving sub bass along with  higher frequency instruments like snares,sticks,cowbells etc   .

All of a sudden the CK10's, & to a slightly lessor extent, the eq-5's , sound not  Bright but ....... well SSHSSssshsshss and the bass gets veiled by the highs . The Bass - sub bass ,sounds at best recessed and weak .

As SM3's Fans know . The Highs on the SM3's are tuned very accurately to how highs are naturally played .So when you hear a cymbal it sounds natural without any artificial added brightness .

Of course everyone as there own particular tastes and the SM3 will not be for everyone .

Unless everyone begins to seek balance ,unity and equality and realize that living a balanced lifestyle is the only way to have lasting security .In that case the SM3's frequency signature may become one of the most copied of all I.E.M's , as it sets a benchmark that many agree upon is a benchmark of balance .

How could a SM4 improve on the SM3?
blink.gif

How do you improve a generally balance sound . Refine it ! 

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #563 of 1,167

Quote:
Thanks, mate. Now I get it.Sorry for all the confusion. I's is not too brights. :p

'I' tries to be bright but sumtims just reverts to being primate

I'm sure you are capable of great genius or great stupidity, as am I & all human beings .Use your intelligence to choose the Right path .And since your here on Head-fi seeking information, that is a very clever thing to do when your looking for answers
wink_face.gif

P.S - I know you were joking but I could not resist .Because...?  some really don't act like there burning very bright .And maybe these non bright people will read our thread and a switch will go on inside there skulls and they well begin to really read information,listen & learn rather than be told stuff and accept it .

Sorry thread back on course .

SM3's are very Good in my opinion and also many other peoples opinion but that does not mean that in your opinion you will agree with our opinion .

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #564 of 1,167

Quote:
Sitting in the office, trying to figure out some networking issues and listening to Metallica's S&M with the rig in my signature. Using the new wide bore tips. All I can say is.....WHOA!  :D

How can you sit down whilst listening to Metallica? That kind of music used to make me feel like getting up and ..... Smashing Chairs hehe .

Or is the S&M are more laid back vibe?

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #565 of 1,167

Quote:
Ah well that explains it then...I think. But those Shure and Westone tips just dont work for me, oddly enough. Fit was so-so but the sound just was not as good as with the ES bilfanges.

Could you explain the difference in sound between the tri flange and the ES Bi's?

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #566 of 1,167

Quote:
'I' tries to be bright but sumtims just reverts to being primate

I'm sure you are capable of great genius or great stupidity, as am I & all human beings .Use your intelligence to choose the Right path .And since your here on Head-fi seeking information, that is a very clever thing to do when your looking for answers
wink_face.gif

P.S - I know you were joking but I could not resist .Because...?  some really don't act like there burning very bright .And maybe these non bright people will read our thread and a switch will go on inside there skulls and they well begin to really read information,listen & learn rather than be told stuff and accept it .

Sorry thread back on course .

SM3's are very Good in my opinion and also many other peoples opinion but that does not mean that in your opinion you will agree with our opinion .

And...I also get an education in psychology. Here's the only thing that is keeping me way from the Sm3. The short length with at the Y splitter. I understand the new version is about the same length. Does this bother anyone?

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #567 of 1,167
^It doesn't bother me at all.. i think its long enough.. i will measure it when I get a chance

Quote:
fantastic Explanation. This is such an education for me and a humbling one ta boot. My puny little mind was telling me that people into dance music don;t really care too much about tone and sound, as long as the bass kicks. The W3's really shine in Rock and Hard Rock, blues and so on. 

Hah :)) we do care about tone and sound mate.. actually sometimes vocals are really important as well! Last night I listened to a set from Sasha that has samples of real instruments, vocals, and a very tight bass line .. the Sm3v2, yet again, performed very well.. i don't think I've enjoyed this particular album so much before. 

If anyone is interested I am talking about this one: http://amzn.to/kY6hz2

On the tips.. for me, the Shure olive gives me the best sound and isolation.. the biflange is good, but it doesn't isolate as well as the foam, and that affects the sound 

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #568 of 1,167

Quote:
^It doesn't bother me at all.. i think its long enough.. i will measure it when I get a chance

Hah :)) we do care about tone and sound mate.. actually sometimes vocals are really important as well! Last night I listened to a set from Sasha that has samples of real instruments, vocals, and a very tight bass line .. the Sm3v2, yet again, performed very well.. i don't think I've enjoyed this particular album so much before. 

If anyone is interested I am talking about this one: http://amzn.to/kY6hz2

On the tips.. for me, the Shure olive gives me the best sound and isolation.. the biflange is good, but it doesn't isolate as well as the foam, and that affects the sound 

lol, Thanks I would Appreciate that!!

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #569 of 1,167

Quote:
And...I also get an education in psychology. Here's the only thing that is keeping me way from the Sm3. The short length with at the Y splitter. I understand the new version is about the same length. Does this bother anyone?

For me the Y splitter  is visible ,in line with my shoulders behind my neck, it dosn't bother me at all .I also always use a small clip to take the weight of the cable from pulling down on the I.E.M's .Ever since the westone 3's cable I owned developed a fault right next to the I.E.M . I suppose at least with the V2 the cable can be replaced .But I'd still use a clip as I don't like any tension pulling at the I.E.M's .

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #570 of 1,167
Quote:
For me the Y splitter  is visible ,in line with my shoulders behind my neck, it dosn't bother me at all .I also always use a small clip to take the weight of the cable from pulling down on the I.E.M's .Ever since the westone 3's cable I owned developed a fault right next to the I.E.M . I suppose at least with the V2 the cable can be replaced .But I'd still use a clip as I don't like any tension pulling at the I.E.M's .

I see thats a pretty good idea,  

I should just take the plunge for a good used pair of the V1's and see if I will like it or not. So you still wear in front right. Can you do those dance moves with this like this, ya know Ib lighting up the dance floor"?  Thanks for your help my friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back