Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #1,532 of 1,687
I tried a FiiO E5, which actually made them hiss louder and sound worse in general. I have heard a few people say they sound great from the Head stage Arrow 4G though.
How much difference is there between the SM3 amped and unamped? The source would be an iphone 4S, and the amp would be a portable amp.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,533 of 1,687
@ Gilly87, my V2s finally arrived and have been surgically attached to my ears. At first I got confused that they sound so different from my V1, then I remembered my V1s were unfiltered. With filters on the V2, high's are less detailed but smoother. Details are also a little bit less pronounced, but are still far better than anything I own at the moment. Maybe one day, I will try removing the filters, I am just too chicken at the moment. :)

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,534 of 1,687
Ahhhh, mine should be getting back from France any day now...if you do decide to defilter, buy the etymotic removal tool. Just a few bucks and it takes away 99% of the risk in filter removal.
@ Gilly87, my V2s finally arrived and have been surgically attached to my ears. At first I got confused that they sound so different from my V1, then I remembered my V1s were unfiltered. With filters on the V2, high's are less detailed but smoother. Details are also a little bit less pronounced, but are still far better than anything I own at the moment. Maybe one day, I will try removing the filters, I am just too chicken at the moment. :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,539 of 1,687
I've heard it compared to the LCD-2 for the thickness of sound, slight warmth, and bass emphasis, but have never heard the Audezes myself. To my ears the unfiltered version sounds reasonably similar to the HD598 with more aggressive mids and punchier bass, but obviously less refined presentation. The filtered version is a little closer to something like my HD439, though with much better detail, and not quite as warm or bassy.

Overall the SM3 is a mostly neutral phone, slightly warm and dark, with very lush and detailed mids, punchy bass, and relaxed but extended treble. Buyer beware, though: build quality is notoriously precarious and the intimate presentation of vocals is not for everyone.
What full size do you guys think the sm3 sounds like?

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,540 of 1,687
Quote:
I've heard it compared to the LCD-2 for the thickness of sound, slight warmth, and bass emphasis, but have never heard the Audezes myself. To my ears the unfiltered version sounds reasonably similar to the HD598 with more aggressive mids and punchier bass, but obviously less refined presentation. The filtered version is a little closer to something like my HD439, though with much better detail, and not quite as warm or bassy.

Overall the SM3 is a mostly neutral phone, slightly warm and dark, with very lush and detailed mids, punchy bass, and relaxed but extended treble. Buyer beware, though: build quality is notoriously precarious and the intimate presentation of vocals is not for everyone.

Thanks. Anyone know if it sounds like the HD650? It seems they are described similarly.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,541 of 1,687
I haven't heard the 650 myself but it does seem like a good potential comparison. I do think the SM3 handily outdoes the HD598 in terms of speed; my guess is that would be the biggest difference with the 650 as well, along with presentation obviously.
Thanks. Anyone know if it sounds like the HD650? It seems they are described similarly.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,542 of 1,687
Hi, I asked this on the AK100 thread, but didn't get any responses there.   Has anyone tried the SM3 on an unmodded AK100?   I have one and thinking about getting the SM3.  However, the unmodded AK might have problems with balanced armature IEMs because of its high output impedance.   I thought the SM3s "impedance correction" might work with that, but I would like to know if someone has actually tried this pairing.  Thanks.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,543 of 1,687
Quote:
Hi, I asked this on the AK100 thread, but didn't get any responses there.   Has anyone tried the SM3 on an unmodded AK100?   I have one and thinking about getting the SM3.  However, the unmodded AK might have problems with balanced armature IEMs because of its high output impedance.   I thought the SM3s "impedance correction" might work with that, but I would like to know if someone has actually tried this pairing.  Thanks.

I just got the C&C BH portable headphone amp to day which is $99.99 on ebay and it makes the SM3 sound amazing, it sounds like a true audiophile IEM now.  The highs are crisp and even bright at time but never harsh, the mids have more clarity and don't sound as dark anymore and the bass is very clean and has better sub-bass rumble now along with the soundstage that is even more spacious now.  Its an amazing little amp and for $100 well, well worth it, I think it can compete with amp's that are much more expensive.  One thing the amp does to the SM3 is actually give them more detail which is something I was not expecting.

If you get the SM3 I think you should invest in the C&C BH amp because it does make the SM3 sound like a true audiophile IEM but that's not to say the SM3 doesn't sound great without, it just sounds that much better with the BH.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,544 of 1,687
Does anyone have recommendations for some different tips for the sm3v2? 

The stock bi-flange work well, but They are just a TAD too small for my ears, and getting a good seal is rather difficult. I think the sound is great with the stock bi-flanges but I need something with a little bit of a tighter fit, any ideas that won't sacrifice sound quality? I'm not too into foam tips, I messed around with them for awhile but kept coming back to silicon.

Regards

EDIT: On a side note, completely unrelated, but if anyone wants to truly experience the capabilities of the sm3 just turn on some Infected Mushroom...shows the true speed/accuracy/power of this IEM.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,545 of 1,687
If you have some new Sony Hybrids that aren't stretched out they work great, that's what I'm using right now.  A brand new set will fit but if you've used them on an IEM like the TF10 or even the GR07 were it stretches them out then they wont fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back