Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #1,486 of 1,687
1. Not sure. The general consensus seems to be that they are Knoweles acoustic dampers.
2. Yes, the ety tool works
3. I have no idea. I use my Klipsch cleaning tool to keep wax out of the nozzles.
Quote:
I'm the new owner of some SM3 V2 IEMs.  I'm experimenting with tips but had a question about the filters.

1. Where do I get replacement filters?  Are the filters the same as the Etymotic ones?

2. Do I use an Etymotic filter removal tool or similar to replace filters?

3. What is the cleaning tool included with the SM3 used for, I can't find any instructions.

Thanks, Ben

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,488 of 1,687
1. Not sure. The general consensus seems to be that they are Knoweles acoustic dampers.
2. Yes, the ety tool works
3. I have no idea. I use my Klipsch cleaning tool to keep wax out of the nozzles.

Thanks. Anyone replaced clogged filters with the Knoweles acoustic dampers?

When you use your Klipsch tool are you just taking the tip off and cleaning the canal of the tip, or actually cleaning out the nozzle?

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,489 of 1,687
I wonder what would happen to the SQ of my SM64 if I remove the filter....a bit too risky for me at the moment.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,490 of 1,687
When you use your Klipsch tool are you just taking the tip off and cleaning the canal of the tip, or actually cleaning out the nozzle?

Both.

I suspect the SM3 brush thingy might be for cleaning double/triple flanges.

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #1,491 of 1,687

Both.
I suspect the SM3 brush thingy might be for cleaning double/triple flanges.

How do you avoid damaging the filter when you clean the nozzle?

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,492 of 1,687
Be very careful 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
How do you avoid damaging the filter when you clean the nozzle?

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #1,494 of 1,687
I posted some short first impressions here :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640630/sm64-to-replace-sm3/30#post_9010398

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,495 of 1,687
Does anyone have the model IDs for the Knowles Acoustic Dampers that fit the SM3s? Do you need the plug or the screen or both? Would be great if someone could do a YouTube video of removing and replacing clogged filters on the SM3 as I understand it's not as easy as say the Etymotics (I had the 4P and replaced the filters many times).

Is it a given that you destroy the filter when you remove it? With the Ety that was the case.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,496 of 1,687
I've been using the SM3 with my Fuze and E11 amp on bass boost EQ 1 but I decided to use EQ 2 for some old school progressive breaks I'm listening to and man the SM3 can hit pretty hard with really nice sub-bass.  I think the SM3's bass is quite a bit better than the TF10 which has strong bass for a BA, the SM3's texture is cleaner and tighter imo and they sound really good now with the bass boosted up which I don't see it being more than around  +6 dB or so but it makes a big difference in the bass impact and depth.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,498 of 1,687
I found the SM3 to excel with electronic music (particularly psytrance and d&b) at moderate to loud volumes. At lower volumes I found it a little too thick of note and lacking air. Still, it's lows were perhaps the best I've heard in a universal BA.

I felt dynamics such as the FX-700 were a step ahead in the bass department, but lacked the inviting mids and immersive soundstage.

I used to use it with the same set up as you, Techno Kid, and do find myself wondering how it would sound out of my current setup (iMod with TTVJ Slim).

It's good to see people still enjoying them... and I'm glad that you finally found what you were looking for Gilly87 buddy :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #1,499 of 1,687
Techno Kid and and Gilly87, it turns out a colleague will be sent to our office here in Manila and I am just about ready to order the V2s through soundearphones. And have it sent to my friend's address in Stamford. I asked him to carry it with him. I should have them by the 24th. I wanted to thank you both for offering to help. :)

Soundearphones have free overnight shipping. How reliable are they when it comes to meeting timelines?

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,500 of 1,687
Quote:
Techno Kid and and Gilly87, it turns out a colleague will be sent to our office here in Manila and I am just about ready to order the V2s through soundearphones. And have it sent to my friend's address in Stamford. I asked him to carry it with him. I should have them by the 24th. I wanted to thank you both for offering to help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Soundearphones have free overnight shipping. How reliable are they when it comes to meeting timelines?

I haven't used them but I'd guess that they're pretty reliable when it comes to shipping times.  If you can get a hold of them by email you might want to ask, but I'm glad to see your getting another SM3 after what happened to your old pair.  The V2's build quality seems as good as the Westone IEM's and if you treat them well you shouldn't have any problems. I've been luck a few times getting the cables snagged but nothing has happened even on once the left housing was ripped out of my ear with the tip still in my ear so you know it got pulled out with some force. 

As you know they're just a great sounding IEM and one that I think is well worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back