Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,471 of 1,687
That really sucks man and I feel for you.  I hope something didn't happen because of you taking out the filters, I highly doubt that did anything but that's another reason I'm not going to do it because you never know.  

You can contact Earsonics and they'll fix them even out of warranty but your going to have to pay and I bet its quite a bit cheaper than buying a new pair so that's what I'd do.

About the SM3's sound it really is so good that all the other good IEM's I've listened to that I've always thought were really good just can't compare next to what the SM3 throws down.  Everything sound much thinner and a soundstage that I thought was spacious sound closed in so even though I just got the Heaven IV back I'm probably going to sale them but after hearing what happened with yours I probably need to keep them as a backup.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,472 of 1,687
That really sucks man and I feel for you.  I hope something didn't happen because of you taking out the filters, I highly doubt that did anything but that's another reason I'm not going to do it because you never know.  

You can contact Earsonics and they'll fix them even out of warranty but your going to have to pay and I bet its quite a bit cheaper than buying a new pair so that's what I'd do.

About the SM3's sound it really is so good that all the other good IEM's I've listened to that I've always thought were really good just can't compare next to what the SM3 throws down.  Everything sound much thinner and a soundstage that I thought was spacious sound closed in so even though I just got the Heaven IV back I'm probably going to sale them but after hearing what happened with yours I probably need to keep them as a backup.

Great sound-poor build quality-great aftermarket service
It's beginning to look like an well-thought-of business strategy. :)

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,473 of 1,687
Quote:
Great sound-poor build quality-great aftermarket service
It's beginning to look like an well-thought-of business strategy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great sound is an under statement when it comes to the SQ of the SM3, its more like amazing SQ or astonishing SQ 
wink_face.gif

I'm listening to them now and everytime they blow me away with just how good they sound along with the over all presentation, the 3D imaging and separation are perfect, at least for me anyways.

I really don't think the build quality is an worse than say Westone and I know they'll be people that disagree but I don't think the UM series is built any better.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,475 of 1,687
I thought about getting a pair of those but after reading some impression and having someone that has both go in depth about how they sound that they're just not something I'd really like.  The SM3 is quite a bit better with detail, imaging and separation along with much better transparency.  If they were more like $150 I would have taken a chance but for $250 or more for the 100 and over $300 for the 200 I just didn't feel like its worth it.

I bought a pair of Klipsch X10 earlier today just because they're $85 and I've wanted to try them for awhile but I know that wont have anything on the SM3 but I'm looking forward to hearing how they'll compare to the Heaven IV.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,477 of 1,687
If I tap on the memory wire part I can hear some microphonics but that's the only time I notice anything like that.  The cable is very good with the lack of microphonic sounds.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,481 of 1,687
Oh you had the original SM3's?  I thought you had the V2's to start with.  No wonder you had problems :wink:

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,483 of 1,687
SM3's are stellar. I'm getting the SM64's out of curiosity because it supposedly is a product made from the best of the EM4 and EM6, and those reviews say the SM3 is lifeless in comparison. If they turn out not as good as the SM3's, well I can get my money back, minus $10 for one-day shipping. :] I'm glad there're so many people appreciate the SM3's. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,485 of 1,687
I'm the new owner of some SM3 V2 IEMs.  I'm experimenting with tips but had a question about the filters.

1. Where do I get replacement filters?  Are the filters the same as the Etymotic ones?

2. Do I use an Etymotic filter removal tool or similar to replace filters?

3. What is the cleaning tool included with the SM3 used for, I can't find any instructions.

Thanks, Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back